Cocoa Cay must have shade and can't afford a cabana help please.

nimbex1970

As the title says, out of our group of 8, 1 really must have shade, especially my grandson.  He is two and is in chemotherapy and the sun will fry him without shade breaks.  There seem to be many umbrella spots, and we don't need to be altogether just a solid spot with an umbrella for him.  If we leave as early as we can and go to the calm side, is this the best move?  Or are there better locations with ample umbrellas? I haven't been in several years and don't want to have the group walking aimlessly around.  I have the map of the island, but anyone's experience would really help.  I appreciate your input!

Edited by nimbex1970

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One would think that if you contacted Royal they would be able to offer a good solution for you.  Never be afraid to use the cancer card.  I am looking to see what is available as well as I can’t be in the sun.  Once upon a time you could get a chair and some shade right off the ship but now it looks like it will cost between $200 and $4000 to get a chair.  Was hoping for a free beach stop but I am not sure if that is possible. 

I was just in Cococay this weekend with my friend who needs shade- there were PLENTY of umbrellas and shade.  We left the ship at 10:30am and went over to South Beach.   We were also the only ship in, so I would try to leave on the earlier side if there is another ship, but I still think you will be fine. 

As others have assured you, you'll find plenty of chairs (no cost).  The chairs are set up in sets of 2 or 4 ... with an umbrella and a small table between each 2 or 4 chairs.  A cabana would give you more shade, but -- like the umbrellas -- as the sun moves, so would your shade.  

However, an umbrella isn't full coverage, and as the sun moves, so does your shade.  If I had your strong motivation to keep out of the sun, I'd take a multi-pronged approach: 

- Bring excellent sunscreen. 

- Wear a long-sleeved rash guard (these are becoming surprisingly popular) and a wide-brimmed hat.

- Consider bringing along your own clamshell -- I know you can buy a small one at Academy Sports here in my town for about $40, and then it's yours to keep.  These are small, three-sided enclosures, which will give you more coverage than the umbrella ... and you can always turn the thing to keep "the back" to the sunshine as the day progresses.  Clamshells pack up to about the size of a folding camp chair and come with a carrying bag.  

Additionally, they have a pirate ship playground, which -- if I remember correctly -- is in moderate shade.  

And the hammocks are in deep, solid shade.  They are set in sand, so you could relax in the hammock while your grandson plays in the sand.  

When you go for lunch, you'll find picnic tables under large tarps (looks better than my description would imply), so you can have your lunch in the shade -- I can't remember whether they had tables (or just serving areas) under the actual porch.  

Consider, too, that one thing people love about Coco Cay is its proximity to the ship.  If you feel you've "had enough", you can head back to the ship without feeling you're cutting the rest of the family's fun short.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:15 PM, GaryWT said:

One would think that if you contacted Royal they would be able to offer a good solution for you.  Never be afraid to use the cancer card.  I am looking to see what is available as well as I can’t be in the sun.  Once upon a time you could get a chair and some shade right off the ship but now it looks like it will cost between $200 and $4000 to get a chair.  Was hoping for a free beach stop but I am not sure if that is possible. 

False.  You can spend a lovely day on Coco Cay without spending a penny -- we did.  Well, no, that's not quite true:  my husband did have two beers.