World Cruise Travel Insurance for UK citizens

60s Wombat

Hi - I am struggling to find travel insurance for the 140 night World Cruise (Viking 2023/24) from any of the insurance brokers/companies in the UK. The policy 'must haves' are cover for medical and repatriation costs, cruise interruption and cancellation costs of £48,000 per person.  We are a couple in our early 60's,  have no significant health issues, and have never had any travel insurance claims in the past.  Surely there must be a lot of experienced Brit World Cruisers out there who can give me a few signposts?.  The biggest problem seems to be getting cancellation cover of anything near the cost of the cruise.    Thank you.  

On 2/15/2023 at 5:39 AM, 60s Wombat said:

Hi - I am struggling to find travel insurance for the 140 night World Cruise (Viking 2023/24) from any of the insurance brokers/companies in the UK. The policy 'must haves' are cover for medical and repatriation costs, cruise interruption and cancellation costs of £48,000 per person.  We are a couple in our early 60's,  have no significant health issues, and have never had any travel insurance claims in the past.  Surely there must be a lot of experienced Brit World Cruisers out there who can give me a few signposts?.  The biggest problem seems to be getting cancellation cover of anything near the cost of the cruise.    Thank you.  

Howdy @60s Wombat

I have moved your inquiry to the UK Cruisers forum. Hopefully those that have knowledge regarding insurance brokers/companies in the UK will have information for you there.

Sincerely hope this will be satisfactory!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Hi wombat, have a look on the P and O UK board, there is a recent discussion of insurance for cruises, with lots of useful info for you hopefully.  (I know you aren't going with P and O, but the insurance issues should be the same).

We get 'free' travel insurance with our bank account, and when we did half a RWC, we paid extra premium to cover the cancellation cost as far as I remember. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:52 PM, sleepingcat said:

Hi wombat, have a look on the P and O UK board, there is a recent discussion of insurance for cruises, with lots of useful info for you hopefully.  (I know you aren't going with P and O, but the insurance issues should be the same).

We get 'free' travel insurance with our bank account, and when we did half a RWC, we paid extra premium to cover the cancellation cost as far as I remember. 

Many thanks - I'll have a look on the P & O board you suggest.  Unfortunately the 'free' travel insurance with bank account won't cover the duration or the itinerary for the Viking WC.   Have spoken with over 40 brokers / insurers and I'm still looking!.   

On 2/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, Thejuggler said:

I would start with the insurance offered by Viking and the company which underwrites it.

Also if applicable check your home insurance for limits on how long the property can be vacant for.

Thanks Juggler - unfortunately Viking don't offer insurance for their UK customers.  If only..........