How soon to start 2007 roll call/Maasdam info

airlink diva

Hi! I'm waiting for my travel agent to return with an acceptable price on the 10 day Southern Caribbean trip on the Maasdam. I always wanted to take the longer trip and decided to go for it!!

I really like this trip leaving out on 1/14/2007 due to the ports of call (mainly St. Lucia and Martinique!!)

My question is it too early to start the roll call for this trip?

Also, any Maasdam sailers, can you give me more info? Esp on the inside cabins?

This trip will also put me over the 50 day mark :D :D !!

I'm looking forward to sailing!!

Once you're booked, start a thread over on the Roll Call area. That's where most folks go to search for others who may be on their sailing. It may be a while before someone responds ... but your thread will be there waiting to be found. Good luck!

Also, any Maasdam sailers, can you give me more info? Esp on the inside cabins?

Such as? I'm a confirmed cave-dweller, and very happy there. I spent 35 days in an inside on the Maasdam last summer and was quite comfortable. My bed, desk, closets, nightstands, TV, lighting, radio were just as good as found in an outside. The bathroom had a good-sized shower with lots of handles. The shower-curtain was long enough, and stayed where it belonged. There's a clothesline there, too. The couch was full-size. The TV set to view from the bridge is an adequate window.

I will be taking my first long voyage in January of next year, 30 days. I will also be in an inside cabin; a solo trip for me as well. Any words of wisdom?

Btw - Airlink diva - I have already started a 2007 Roll Call...go for it :).

Marie

I will be taking my first long voyage in January of next year, 30 days. I will also be in an inside cabin; a solo trip for me as well. Any words of wisdom?

Btw - Airlink diva - I have already started a 2007 Roll Call...go for it :).

Marie

Plenty of 'em, Marie! But, could ya give me a jump-start and throw a topic or three at me?

I've been where you're going. I've been on the Amsterdam (that is the ship you're sailing, isn't it?). I've done many long cruises---both alone and with a share. Wadda ya want to know about?

living and staying organized in such a small space for such a length of time. How did you pack? Did you pack for two weeks, and do laundry? How did you feel about the inside room for such a length of time. An outside is not an option for me. I'm booked in a K guarantee and am hoping for an upgrade, but not counting on it.

I'll be on the Ryndam.

Marie

I got used to cruising in those teeny-tiny cabins on old ships---the ones that could have been 6' X 8', or 8' X 10', so an inside on the Ryndam is big in comparison.

When sailing alone I don't want to spend much time in my cabin, so small isn't a problem. I sleep, wash, dress there. The TV set to view from the bridge is my window on the world.

I put everything away and keep the tops of surfaces clear. Neat makes the cabin look bigger, there's always a place to put something down, and everything can be found since it's where it should be.

The papers under the door are dealt with immediately---recycle bin comes in handy!

I always do laundry on a long cruise. I prefer to do my own; put it in the washer, go enjoy, return to move it to the dryer, go enjoy, return to get the finished product. I always take an extra HAL canvas bag to use as a laundry bag; when it's full it's one load. Stuff your dryer sheets in the bag and you can always find them when needed.

I also recycle clothes. I have one black skirt and four formal tops; for eight formal nights I repeat each one. Similar for informal and casual nights---I rewear some casual outfits three times each. Add a shawl if you need to feel a change! I have three evening bags---I can pack one inside a second, and two pair of shoes for evening.

Daytime I have several muumuus that get reworn ad nauseum. Two pair of identical white slacks, plus identical white shorts and several t-shirts makes several outfits without thinking about matching up. Toss in a bathing suit and I'm ready for months!

I can't "lug" too much luggage. On a long cruise I'll usually take two suitcases and a carry-on. There's also that HAL canvas bag slung over the handle of the carry-on. In that I have my documents, reading material, and either my tape-deck and tapes or CD player and CD's.

The K-category cabins on the Ryndam are very nice. If you get a mid-ship location you are well-set.

Anything else?

especially in the wardrobe department. I too, have no desire to carry more than two bags. For formal wear, I think the black skirt with four shirts, recycled is a wonderful idea. I will also take a few sundresses/mumus and wear them ad nauseum. Fortunately, I will be able to pick up some real deals at the end of this season to wear in January!

And, I had forgotten my bridge access via the tv set. That will really help.

Yes, I've looked at the deck plan and I figure I can't go wrong with the K category. I was booked in an MM guarantee, but noticed a price drop($100) on the site I booked with and renegotiations started :). I ended up with a K inside, 4 bottles of wine, and a Pinnacle Grill dinner for LESS than what I was going to be paying for just the MM. I am a happy camper.

Rita sent me the dailies from the Amsterdam cruise this year, and it was wonderful to look them over. I have since sent them on to another solo cruiser booked on the same cruise. So far, there are only 2 of us who have admitted we are booked on this itinerary :). Of course, it is still very early yet.

Thanks again, Ruth.

Marie

Thank you for all the great advice!! RuthC great advice on packing. I don't like taking too many bags either!! I also use the black pants and several tops to reduce my packing. On my last seven day trip, I packed two pair of shorts, one pair of black pants, three dressy tops, and four casual tops!!

I started the roll call!!

As for having an inside cabin, I really don't stay in the room that long. There was a cheaper rate under the share program, but I have my own quirks and habits that on a cruise I don't want to change!

Thanks!!

Archived