Renting a prior HAL ship...

REOVA

Many years ago, there was a woman who lived on the QE2. It was written up in 

the newspaper. If my memory is correct, the QE2 was in dry dock for 3 weeks 

every year. She would see her friends in New Jersey and have medical and dental appts. The article said she loved  living on the ship. The crew were wonderful to her.

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Yes, an Inside would be $133.00 per person though.

Is this the price and everything else you mentioned are just deposits and time line commitments that have nothing to do with what you pay for the cruise?

If so, it's a good deal, IMO...and you wanted to sail for 6 months.  

Yes, the price can be as low as $79/day. The rest are deposits and commitments.

Other thoughts- what about dry-dock times and maintenance? How well will the ship be kept up? Would you stay on the ship while it is in drydock? How about when they rehab your cabin, or paint the halls, or replace the carpets? How attentive will they be to a plugged toilet or leaky faucet or burned out light bulb? Knowing you are living there will feel different than even a 3 or 4 month cruise.

That's why I prefer to wait and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, SeaCapt said:

That's why I prefer to wait and see how it goes.

I've got a few more years before this becomes even an option to consider......So hoping the folks onboard (who are the pioneers) post on cruise critic and we can all learn.  I do think it is a logical alternative to "independent living" places. 

Edited by FlaMariner

6 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Any guesses on if you think this will work? We like cruising but we also love time at home. I am guessing it won't work, but this might be the time to get it going when so many older cruise ships are being retired. I do wonder what happens if there is another pandemic.  

It's already and established and working concept. The question is if this particular ship and this particular price point will be attractive. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/storylines-residential-cruise-ship-concept/index.html

Edited by Colorado Klutch

7 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

You are missing that the reservation commitment is for a minimum of six months or 180 days. So the prices will actually range from $47,994 for an Inside Stateroom to $209,994 for the Pinnacle Suite. Plus - there is the deposit required that is $30,000 to $80,000 depending on stateroom category with $10,000 upfront and the remainder due upon checkin before sailing. Yes, an Inside would be $133.00 per person though.

https://victoria.cruises/pdf/price-table.pdf

My understanding is that the deposit is drawn against for the monthly charge, it is not in addition to the monthly charge. There is basically the monthly fee and the rest is optional expense such as spirits, specialty dining, spa and medical. No other mandatory fees.

3 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

It's already and established and working concept. The question is if this particular ship and this particular price point will be attractive. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/storylines-residential-cruise-ship-concept/index.html

Not working quite yet!  The ship and article you highlighted is planning to launch in early 2024. I think we have yet to see this concept actually in operation. But hopefully very soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaCapt said:

Not working quite yet!  The ship and article you highlighted is planning to launch in early 2024. I think we have yet to see this concept actually in operation. But hopefully very soon...

OK, bad example, but seriously, residential cruise ships have been around for many years. This is the one I had read about many years ago:

https://aboardtheworld.com/

Edited by Colorado Klutch

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

6 month menu novelty?

3 months?

3 weeks?

3 days?

Hope it is not like working at a summer camp - every Thursday night was beef stew.

Great point. My dad's senior living community is like that. Many of the residents only visit the cafeteria one meal a day because they get bored of the fare. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Great point. My dad's senior living community is like that. Many of the residents only visit the cafeteria one meal a day because they get bored of the fare. 

In the pre-covid days, I believe on the longer cruises HAL operated on a 21 day menu plan before repeats. Though it is hard to keep reinventing the basics - meat, chicken or fish. Now I am hearing it is more a one-week menu plan.

15 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

6 month menu novelty?

3 months?

3 weeks?

3 days?

Hope it is not like working at a summer camp - every Thursday night was beef stew.

You can see what the plan is here

https://victoria.cruises/about/restaurants-on-board/

According to that the main dining room will be changing the menu weekly.

Unlike cruise ships they intend to spend much more time in port and thus one will have the alternative of dining off ship locally for a change of pace quite often.  Though at their own expense.

53 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Unlike cruise ships they intend to spend much more time in port and thus one will have the alternative of dining off ship locally for a change of pace quite often.  Though at their own expense.

Can set a budget for lunch specials all over the world.....Just checked out the incredible itineraries.

https://victoria.cruises/destinations/

On 2/19/2023 at 7:06 PM, ldtr said:

My understanding is that the deposit is drawn against for the monthly charge, it is not in addition to the monthly charge. There is basically the monthly fee and the rest is optional expense such as spirits, specialty dining, spa and medical. No other mandatory fees.

Perhaps a portion, but the deposit alone when drawn against only covers just less than 4 months out of the minimum six months. Does their website actually address the process for the method the passenger/resident pays?

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Perhaps a portion, but the deposit alone when drawn against only covers just less than 4 months out of the minimum six months. Does their website actually address the process for the method the passenger/resident pays?

Sure, but it is not an additional charge.  No much different then the deposit required for world cruises on some lines. The difference is that rent is charged against you account balance, which you add to as needed, vs a cruise line requiring the total amount.

Each resident gets a tablet that enables them to track the status of their account, including both lease payments and any onboard charges. It also tracks the balance as amounts are charged against the deposit.

Idea sounds good, but, food quality, who will be captains, staff, any entertainment, who will clean the rooms, public rooms, the 'world' ship is a timeshare ship. What kind of passenger will this attract, lots of questions..

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

What kind of passenger will this attract, lots of questions..

Just watch some of those "resident" video clips of cruise bloggers mixed in with performers and ask yourself are these the types of people I would want to spend the next six months of my life with?🤔

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, OlsSalt said:

In the pre-covid days, I believe on the longer cruises HAL operated on a 21 day menu plan before repeats. Though it is hard to keep reinventing the basics - meat, chicken or fish. Now I am hearing it is more a one-week menu plan.

Our cruise to Hawaii on the Konsingdam was that way, menu started recycling after one week. 

On 2/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, ldtr said:

You can see what the plan is here

https://victoria.cruises/about/restaurants-on-board/

According to that the main dining room will be changing the menu weekly.

We have no problem with that and love trying out the cuisine of the ports we visit. One of our big complaints lately is that Holland doesn't change their menus to reflect the nation's we visit. Princess didn't either. 

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We have no problem with that and love trying out the cuisine of the ports we visit. One of our big complaints lately is that Holland doesn't change their menus to reflect the nation's we visit. Princess didn't either. 

This seems to be more of an international passenger mix and more of a European tilt to the dining from what I see with what they posted.