Celebrity Apex vs Sky Princess

patterson3

I know this is the Princess board and there will probably be a Princess-bias in responses, but I was wondering for people who have sailed on both, what are your opinions on the Celebrity Apex vs the Sky Princess?

The Edge class looks amazing, except for the Infinity balcony staterooms which are a huge drawback to me. I've down 6 cruises on Celebrity and only 2 on Princess, but I enjoy both. Overall I prefer the food and overall experience of Celebrity but there are a couple things I like better about Princess: afternoon tea, aft pool, and the larger atriums, but I was curious to get other people's opinions on these 2 ships....

Thank you in advance. 

Sky has real balconies, but they are small.

A normal balcony room on Sky is smaller than an IV room on Apex.

The closet in the room on Sky is bigger than the closet on Apex.

The shower on Sky has a curtain on Apex a door.

Specialty dining is cheaper on Sky.

Sky has Alfredos, Apex doesn't have an equivalent. 

There's a few things that come to mind.

• Like 1

I usually cruise on Celebrity but enjoyed a couple of Princess cruises 10 years ago.   I was going to book the Apex for January 2024 but decided to look at Princess just to see what they had.   I was able to book a similar 7 day cruise on Princess Sky for over $2500 less with only a $100 refundable deposit.   It was a no brainer.  Looking forward to cruising on the Sky!

Sailed on Apex, Edge and Sky.  Personally, if the itinerary is what we want and the price is right, we choose Celebrity.  We do sail on Princess, though because sometimes we prefer the itinerary or embarkation port.  Our next Regal cruise embarks in Southampton for a British Isles cruise and Celebrity embarks in Amsterdam for the same itinerary.  We much prefer Southampton.

All Celebrity cabins offer a sofa, regardless of stateroom category.  Princess gives you a loveseat on Royal class ships in deluxe balconies and full sofas in mini suites and suites.
Edge class bathrooms are much bigger with a marble glass enclosed shower.  Princess has tiny showers with a shower curtain.

Celebrity ships have a free of charge, adults only, fully enclosed solarium, that can be used in any weather.  There is also a separate pool and hot tub.  It is wonderful.

Princess has the International Cafe, with 24 hour coffee, tea, snacks and pastries at no charge.  There is a charge for specialty coffees.  Very nice venue to enjoy your coffee or even lunch.

The Edge class has Eden deck 6 aft.  A venue that has to be seen to fully appreciated.   There is a restaurant and numerous bars.  The entertainment is very unique in Eden.

The Infinite balconies are not for everyone.  There are regular balconies, however scattered about.  We like the aft ones on deck six close to Eden.

Princess balconies on Royal class are tiny, except for a few extended ones.  You just need to peruse the deck plan to see the bigger ones.  However, they are your traditional balconies that most people prefer.

Edge class has The Magic Carpet.  A moveable venue that serves as a restaurant and also the tender disembarking platform (not really a platform, more like a lounge with sofas).  It is exactly in line with the tender boat, so no rocking and losing one’s balance.  Go to YouTube to see it in action.

Princess has beautiful atriums that serve as the social hub of the ship, with lots of seating.  Very popular in the evening.

You can’t go wrong with either Sky or Apex.  It just depends on your expectations and your preferences.  Research both before making your decision.  Whichever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time.

• Like 1