All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

11 hours ago, Woolmull said:

Can anyone confirm the dress code for the Epicurean for afternoon tea? Smart shorts or long trousers? TIA. 

Personally would not wear shorts but that is a personal choice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 11:37 AM, daz1107 said:

I genuinely don't know why people are upset by what other people are wearing, especially if they look smart. 

I'm a polo shirt and trousers sort of guy; smart ones which I wear for my private golf course. My theory is if it's smart enough for there, it'll do me! 

Because your view on what is smart may be at odds with what everyone else's view might be.

A few years back I was on an NCL ship and dining in the French speciality restaurant which was marketed as a sophisticated evening's dining.

On one of the other tables was a man wearing a 'wife beater' vest, baseball cap, and ripped jeans, and I am sure that he thought what he was wearing was smart enough for him and it met NCL's minimal dress code.

Would you be happy with someone turning up to play a round of golf at your private club dressed like that and then have a few beers in the bar afterwards? And if not why not.

If you read my post, I said that I was a polo shirt and trousers guy. I never mentioned caps, vest etc. 

A couple of guys came into our clubhouse wearing jeans, which are not permitted. Did I get upset? No, because they sat quietly enjoying their drinks. Would you rather have someone in a suit and acting loudly and obnoxious, or someone in polo shirt etc, sitting quietly enjoying a meal? 

• Like 4

Because we are all different we will have different opinions of what is or isn't smart,I totally agree that the behaviour of others is far more important,whether it is on a cruise ship,in a restaurant,golf club or whatever I really do not take notice of or care what other people are wearing.

I care more about feeling that I should be wearing something I do not feel comfortable in.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, daz1107 said:

If you read my post, I said that I was a polo shirt and trousers guy. I never mentioned caps, vest etc. 

A couple of guys came into our clubhouse wearing jeans, which are not permitted. Did I get upset? No, because they sat quietly enjoying their drinks. Would you rather have someone in a suit and acting loudly and obnoxious, or someone in polo shirt etc, sitting quietly enjoying a meal? 

If that happened at my golf club I would expect a senior member of staff to ask them to leave as they were not adhering to the dress code.

23 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Because we are all different we will have different opinions of what is or isn't smart,I totally agree that the behaviour of others is far more important,whether it is on a cruise ship,in a restaurant,golf club or whatever I really do not take notice of or care what other people are wearing.

I care more about feeling that I should be wearing something I do not feel comfortable in.

Well said, I totally agree with you! I suppose we could always buy an Asda suit, get blind drunk and behave like idiots.  At least we would look like 'smartly dressed' imbeciles 😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

If that happened at my golf club I would expect a senior member of staff to ask them to leave as they were not adhering to the dress code.

If it had been for an event, I think someone would have had a quiet word, but they were not causing any issues so it really didn't matter. 

Personally, I'm not bothered and this year our club is relaxing it's strict dress code, to try and attract younger members. Without 'new blood', the club will not survive into the future, which is exactly what cruise lines should be looking at. 

• Like 5

On 9/2/2024 at 8:20 PM, daz1107 said:

If it had been for an event, I think someone would have had a quiet word, but they were not causing any issues so it really didn't matter. 

Personally, I'm not bothered and this year our club is relaxing it's strict dress code, to try and attract younger members. Without 'new blood', the club will not survive into the future, which is exactly what cruise lines should be looking at. 

Yes, I am totally with you on this ! I have sat next to many "smartly dressed" people who are adhering to all the codes of dress but not of the actual codes of behavior! We have only done P&O once and the formal nights really put us off. The only reason we have chose to test the waters again at New Year is that the formal night is one of the days we dock overnight so we can get off and do our thing. The other will probably find us in the Glasshouse. We wont be in wife beaters and ripped jeans but for us (well the other half really as dress code for women is far more relaxed) getting dressed up in a suit for a formal dinner is way too much like work.

I think it would be good if P&O could strike a better balance so that those who love to dress up still can. I also wonder how many would be bother if it was totally optional?

• Like 3