Deft tile shortage throughout the fleet suggestion.

2LoveBikes

7 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Maybe there should be a separate thread for ideas on ways to use the tiles.  They are very pretty tiles, coasters are a nice idea, but they don't go with my decor.  I am not complaining about the tiles, nice gesture from HAL... I am surprised they still give them out.  Carnival used to give very nice Platinum gifts, but they are mere trinkets now-drink cozy, lanyard, luggage tags.  I am sure this was a cost saving measure, & again I am not complaining- a gift is a gift.

I need a few more to complete a craft project.  I'm using them to line the base of a vintage wooden tray.  I'd like to use them on my kitchen wall, but wouldn't want to leave them if I moved house - they'd just end up in a skip!  However, the tray is portable.

I don't want a 'promise' that HAL would send them once they restock - I can't imagine them bothering to send them across the Atlantic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

I need a few more to complete a craft project.  I'm using them to line the base of a vintage wooden tray.  I'd like to use them on my kitchen wall, but wouldn't want to leave them if I moved house - they'd just end up in a skip!  However, the tray is portable.

I don't want a 'promise' that HAL would send them once they restock - I can't imagine them bothering to send them across the Atlantic.

They aren’t offering to send them anymore.  They want you to ask for them on your next cruise.

On 2/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, puppycanducruise said:

Us too.

I've been thinking of using our tiles as coasters.  I would also gift some of them to our grown children.

But humidity creates a problem in Florida.  

Is there a way to control condensation from collecting under the glass and/or under the coaster?

I've thought about adding some cork pieces on the bottom corners, but what dan I do to keep the 

glasses from creating condensation on and sticking to the coasters?

All suggestions appreciated!

Edited by sansterre

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks.

Yes. I made a few, and one was a gift for a friend.

Tioga, I still remember our Antarctica adventure!

Can you tell me how you made those boxes.  They are beautiful and perfect way to keep the coasters together.  Is there a way to get the right size wood pieces?

I would love to make them but not sure where to start!

(also, do you have a problem with condensation on or below the tiles?)

Edited by sansterre

4 hours ago, sansterre said:

Tioga, I still remember our Antarctica adventure!

Can you tell me how you made those boxes.  They are beautiful and perfect way to keep the coasters together.  Is there a way to get the right size wood pieces?

I would love to make them but not sure where to start!

(also, do you have a problem with condensation on or below the tiles?)

I drew the pattern to fit 1/2” x 4” poplar readily available at Home Depot. Did have to do a glue up with a piece of 1/2” x 2by stock, to create the bottom. Then it was just measure and cut with my radial arm and table saws, and fit the pieces. It’s only butt joints for assembly. So the pieces weren’t totally “off the shelf”, but I didn’t have to do that much to them. 

I can post a copy of the pattern if anyone wants it. I found it optimized material to make 4 at a time.

I haven’t had problems with tiles sticking in the holder (which just went into service), but have had a “sweaty” glass filled with water suck a tile up it was resting on with it when I’ve taken a drink. But those circumstances rarely happen in SoCal.

You’ve got mail.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I drew the pattern to fit 1/2” x 4” poplar readily available at Home Depot. Did have to do a glue up with a piece of 1/2” x 2by stock, to create the bottom. Then it was just measure and cut with my radial arm and table saws, and fit the pieces. It’s only butt joints for assembly. So the pieces weren’t totally “off the shelf”, but I didn’t have to do that much to them. 

I can post a copy of the pattern if anyone wants it. I found it optimized material to make 4 at a time.

I haven’t had problems with tiles sticking in the holder (which just went into service), but have had a “sweaty” glass filled with water suck a tile up it was resting on with it when I’ve taken a drink. But those circumstances rarely happen in SoCal.

You’ve got mail.

"radial arm and table saws". - there is the difficulty.  Looks like I need to find someone into carpentry.

Yes, I do think you should post a copy of the pattern, although your photo and description explains it quite well.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, Banditswife said:

A funny about the tiles: We were on a B2B in Nov/Dec 22.  On the 1st leg we got that letter talking about low inventory, so sorry, etc ....  Then on the 2nd leg we received 2 tiles in our cabin.  So did they find some tiles somewhere on the turn around day?

Exact experience on Nieuw Amsterdam - just returned 3 days ago from 14 day (7 day B2B) where I got the card on first leg and red's tiles on 2nd leg.