San Pedro Cruise Port addition

waltd

Saw this too-portoflabonds.org-

Design and install a new 11 KV system for Cruise Ships at Berth 46. In addition, this project requires the extension of a new LADWP 34.5KV circuit through existing LADWP underground conduit (from 22nd Street to Berth 46 along Miner Street). Project cost is $35 million and design is expected to be complete in 2023 with construction completion by 2025.

so maybe they are planning to have 4 cruise ships on 1 day at San Pedro port in the future?

Edited by arizonaperson

I think the article said they might move the USS Iowa.  So does that mean 5 ships.  I just hope they add additional parking. And drop the parking price would be nice.   LOL

10 hours ago, waltd said:

I think the article said they might move the USS Iowa.  So does that mean 5 ships.  I just hope they add additional parking. And drop the parking price would be nice.   LOL

If they moved the Iowa, I assume it would be to Berth 46 or 50.

If they add additional parking, prices will rise to pay for it.

15 hours ago, scottca075 said:

They already have a few times using Berths 92, 93, 46 and 50.

Yes I know that they have used those berths within the past year ,but not very often. I think, I meant more permanently .maybe that’s why they’re doing the infrastructure work??  I guess time will tell, my family lives in California so they keep me updated .

14 hours ago, waltd said:

yes, they have been working on plans to move the Iowa as part of the current waterfront upgrades.

this was in the works pre-covid but everything got pushed back/ground to a halt...there are a lot of "red-tape" layers for work in the port area because of the need for the port & city to coordinate their regulations & who pays for what & then all the environmental & costal regulations

cruise ship sailings & dockings have been up quite a bit over the past year

I would not expect parking rates to go down as land for parking is limited & much more will be needed with the waterfront expansion & upgrades.

Edited by travelin.sisters