Tamarind Indonesian dinner? Ya or na?

Crusin-Suzan

Always enjoyed their Indonesian offerings in the past - nice change of pace. The items are somewhat tamed down and not really "authentic" but a very nice array of new flavors and combinations, depending up on how elaborate they want to make it.

Certainly miss the former Indonesia Afternoon Tea (along with the special Royal Dutch Tea)

• Like 1

I am going to be the exception here as I did not enjoy the Indonesian Rijsttafel on Koningsdam.  We love Tamarind, but found that the Indonesian meal lacked flavour.  It was medium hot and spicy but the flavours did not come through, only the heat.

2 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

We had the Rijsttafel on the anniversary TA last October on the Rotterdam, very good! 
And if it’s not spicy enough, just add some sambal.

Study up ahead of time to know which sambal:  Oelek of badjak.  One is super hot, one on the sweeter side.

(Darned if I remember which was which now- I need to keep studying too, since I really liked the sweeter one - they offer both)

Asked our waiter once which one he liked best. His answer- the one his mother makes, fresh every day.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I am going to be the exception here as I did not enjoy the Indonesian Rijsttafel on Koningsdam.  We love Tamarind, but found that the Indonesian meal lacked flavour.  It was medium hot and spicy but the flavours did not come through, only the heat.

Glad I'm not the only one except for mine was on the nieuw statendam.  I think the regular menu is better.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, OlsSalt said:

Study up ahead of time to know which sambal:  Oelek of badjak.  One is super hot, one on the sweeter side.

(Darned if I remember which was which now- I need to keep studying too, since I really liked the sweeter one - they offer both)

Asked our waiter once which one he liked best. His answer- the one his mother makes, fresh every day.

Oelek is more spicy , though not nearly as hot as the one we buy in the supermarket in the Netherlands , but it’s a good one. We keep three at home , Oelek, Badjak and Surinaamse.

The last one is made from   Madame Jeanet peppers  (125000-325000 on the Scoville scale) so pretty hot ! Sambal Oelek is about 2000 on this scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Oelek is more spicy , though not nearly as hot as the one we buy in the supermarket in the Netherlands , but it’s a good one. We keep three at home , Oelek, Badjak and Surinaamse.

The last one is made from   Madame Jeanet peppers  (125000-325000 on the Scoville scale) so pretty hot ! Sambal Oelek is about 2000 on this scale.

Yikes!  Sambal Oelek is as far as I can go. But it does add a very warming depth.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 9.59.01 AM.png

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Yikes!  Sambal Oelek is as far as I can go. But it does add a very warming depth.

A little background about Sambal badjak - the sweeter, less hot one - the one that is really  "not bad" at all on my scale:  https://www.cookmeindonesian.com/sambal-bajak-ploughmans-sambal/

• Like 2