Pickleball

dianawill

Does anyone know the max number of people who can sign up for pickleball on ships with outdoor courts? We were on Anthem last November. The courts were indoor and there was no sign up required. We are sailing on Harmony next week and I see that sign up is required in advance to play pickleball. I am guessing there are two courts since it is outdoor? So, 16 playing at a time. Any recent experiences?  Thanks!

Was on the Harmony this past December. There wasn’t any sign up in advance. Ppl showed up and waited on a line until their turn. Some were couples, some paired up. Losers left the court and another pair went in. Sometimes winners wanted a break and they left the court. System worked perfectly.

• Like 5

On the last couple cruise we've been on there are open PB hours and tournaments. You only have to show up and put your name in the que for the open hours, sign up for the Ts.

Edited by mac66

Never got the "love" for glorified ping pong on a tennis court.  But understand lots of what used to be the shuffleboard crowd are really into this.  When my gym cancelled pickelball there was a rush to exit membership.  As far as I've seen on Royal, Harmony has the best setup.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 4:53 PM, dianawill said:

Does anyone know the max number of people who can sign up for pickleball on ships with outdoor courts? We were on Anthem last November. The courts were indoor and there was no sign up required. We are sailing on Harmony next week and I see that sign up is required in advance to play pickleball. I am guessing there are two courts since it is outdoor? So, 16 playing at a time. Any recent experiences?  Thanks!

I play quite a bit and do not get you hopes up on playing very long. as said above there are times listed when the sports court is converted to pickleball. You do not reserve a time just show up and get in line. They have paddles available but you are inline with all ages and skill level. Typically you will play in  doubles and if there is a line and could play with beginners, novice or 3.0+ players. it  will not be competitive if that's what you are looking for the most part.   

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Never got the "love" for glorified ping pong on a tennis court.  But understand lots of what used to be the shuffleboard crowd are really into this.  When my gym cancelled pickelball there was a rush to exit membership.  As far as I've seen on Royal, Harmony has the best setup.

Thanks for your input on Harmony, that the next ship we will be on

Edited by Tulsacoker

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yeah, me too but my son and his wife talked my wife and I into trying it. It's kind of fun and gets the competitive juices flowing again. It's not as strenuous as tennis and a bit easier on these old knees. It's something to do, i;e, we can still do as we get older.

• Like 2