Crossing the Bay of Biscay on Arvia

cruiseruth49

Hi, I'm thinking of booking Arvia for August this year, but I am a bit concerned about feeling sea sick crossing the Bay of Biscay. I know that the ship is huge so hopefully it will cope well if there are rough seas. Please tell me what you think or have experienced. 

Thank you.

Edited by cruiseruth49

I know the Bay has this reputation but seriously, in nearly 50 crossings I have had maybe 3-4 that were rough, and even then I have had it worse in the Med. You truly cannot compare a 30 ft yacht with Arvia. If you are concerned book a cabin central in the ship and low down. 

• Like 1

The Bay of Biscay can be very rough or very calm. No pattern to it and impossible to predict. Your answer is Stugeron tablets. Take 2 the first night as you leave Southampton and one each morning and one each evening before bed until you are across it. They say that you shouldn’t drink alcohol with them, but we have always done so with no issues. 

• Like 1

We were on Iona in November/December. The crossing back wasn't great to be honest as there was a large swell. I managed with Stugeron and seabands but felt really queasy in the MDR one night and it wasnt easy to sleep as we were on deck 12. We also got catapulted from a lift due to the movement which was funny at the time. It was winter though. DH thought it was fantastic as hes ex merchant navy. If we sailed on the BOB route again I would definitely choose a cabin low down and midship especially if prone to seasickness. 

• Like 2

We haven't been on Arvia but have been across the Bay of Biscay about 22 times on different P&O ships (all smaller than Arvia and Iona), there was the occasional high swell but all the ships coped well. As Host Sharon said choosing a midships cabin on a lower deck will help to alleviate some of the movement if you are concerned. If you feel the need to take sea sickness remedies you would be wise to talk to a pharmacist first, I would never recommend a particular product as I am not aware of any medical issues you may have or if you are on any medication which may not interact well with particular seasickness medication. Please seek medical advice before buying any seasickness medication for your own use.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, True Devonian said:

If you feel the need to take sea sickness remedies you would be wise to talk to a pharmacist first, I would never recommend a particular product as I am not aware of any medical issues you may have or if you are on any medication which may not interact well with particular seasickness medication. Please seek medical advice before buying any seasickness medication for your own use.

Having tried several things that didn’t work, I am eternally grateful to the folk on this forum who universally recommended Stugeron. It’s only available over the counter at a pharmacist and they have to alert you to any potential issues or establish any conditions that may cause an issue as part of the standard dispensing process, so I think you may be worrying unnecessarily. If someone just asks for sea sickness tablets they could well end up with something like Kwells, which I find to be far less effective. No harm at all in getting a recommendation!

• Like 2

Stugeron is excellent as is Avomine or Phenargen.

The doctor on board told me these tablets all work better as a preventative as opposed to a cure, so take before leaving port.

I actually always start mine the night before a cruise to get it into my system.

• Like 7

Just now, Angel57 said:

The doctor on board told me these tablets all work better as a preventative as opposed to a cure, so take before leaving port.

Very true. Once the sickness starts it’s too late! 🤢 We have recommended Stugeron to loads of people since being recommended it by countless folk on this forum and it has worked for all of them, but only if taken in advance! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cruiseruth49 said:

Hi, I'm thinking of booking Arvia for August this year, but I am a bit concerned about feeling sea sick crossing the Bay of Biscay. I know that the ship is huge so hopefully it will cope well if there are rough seas. Please tell me what you think or have experienced. 

Thank you.

We came back across BOB on Iona last March during a force 10 storm, the ship was incredibly stable, there was movement but nothing like as much as we'd expected being up on deck 15. Being on such a large ship is a huge advantage (Arvia being slightly larger than her sister) compared with smaller alternatives. I'm not the best sailor but I found it tolerable, the rest of the cruise was fantastic, you'd never have known you were moving. Never tried Sturgeon but I find Kwells have always worked for me when things start rocking.

• Like 2

Have had several crossings of the Bay of Biscay and has been calm each time - I must be lucky.  We have had force 10 storms in both the Med and up in the North Sea.  

I have previously had Kwells, but stopped when I noticed that they were not recommended if you are over 60!

9 minutes ago, Cruise_Rookie_2010 said:

Being on such a large ship is a huge advantage (Arvia being slightly larger than her sister) compared with smaller alternatives. 

The reverse can actually be the case. Bigger / taller ships suffer far more in strong winds. If the wind direction hits the ship on the side, the enormous height acts as a sail and the ship can lean far more than the smaller ships. We were on one of the larger ships once and we were on one hell of a tilt for quite some time. The Captain reassured us that there was no danger at all but it was quite a challenge walking around! There are some films on YouTube that show this phenomenon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, True Devonian said: If you feel the need to take sea sickness remedies you would be wise to talk to a pharmacist first, I would never recommend a particular product as I am not aware of any medical issues you may have or if you are on any medication which may not interact well with particular seasickness medication. Please seek medical advice before buying any seasickness medication for your own use.

My (retired) pharmacist cruiser friend recommended Stugeron to me years ago, before she became a really good friend and she definitely didn’t ask what medication I took.

I think your caution is probably misplaced in this instance, although I would always read the details on/in the packet as I assume others would do the same.  I’ve been grateful to Stugeron a few times and only wish I’d known about it on a Viking cruise (small ship plus North Sea) when I ‘disgraced’ myself in the theatre.  Since then, I only book midship, low deck and stay away from the theatre!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

Blimey,the lifeboats must be bigger than your yacht.An old seadog told me eat a blackcurrant jam sandwich.It doesn't stop the sickness but it tastes a lot better coming up again.

I was told porridge.  Tastes the same both ways.🤮

• Haha 2

We did the TA to the Caribbean in January on the Arvia and albeit we only skirted the BOB for 2 days it was pretty rough for a big ship. The main issue was the amount of outside spaces and the Retreat being continuously shut. 
Our actual crossings over the BOB on numerous ships have in the main been fairly calm apart from one particular crossing on the Sky Princess when it was absolutely awful which in fairness the Captain warned us about. 

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The reverse can actually be the case. Bigger / taller ships suffer far more in strong winds. If the wind direction hits the ship on the side, the enormous height acts as a sail and the ship can lean far more than the smaller ships. We were on one of the larger ships once and we were on one hell of a tilt for quite some time. The Captain reassured us that there was no danger at all but it was quite a challenge walking around! There are some films on YouTube that show this phenomenon. 

Yes. Worst I have experienced was in the Med on Eclipse. Hit by the Mistral Force 12. Needed crampons to walk from one side of the ship to the other!

• Haha 2

Before you leave Southampton look at wave height predictions  on internet

1 or 2 metres no one needs a tablet

3 or 4 metres if you are prone to sea sickness take one

5 metres plus all but best sailors

Take tablets as you go to bed first night,  not once you feel sick

We once had 9 meter waves ,  you could see empty places of those who left it too late

• Like 2