Santorini - 4 ships - potentially 14,000 passengers

scouseronline

We are visiting Santorini in September 2023, unfortunately the day we arrive (8:30am to 10pm) there are 4 large ships in port, with potentially 14,000 passengers.  Normally this doesn't bother me, but the fact that you have to take a cable car to the top from the port is really putting a damper on this day. I read that the cable cars can move up to 600 people per hour, so we could be stuck waiting hours. 3 ships will have arrived by 8am so more than 9,000 passengers by 8am. This must be a nightmare for people who have private trips booked. 

We walk about 5K most days, how difficult is it to walk to the top rather than wasting hours waiting for the cable car ? Thanks

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/greece/santorini/karavolades-stairs-santorini-port-to-fira?u=i

1.2 mile walk

606 ft. Elevation gain 

share the path with donkeys (and their by-products) who may or may not be carrying riders. 

I walked down with no complaints.  Didn’t need to walk up, however. 

8 hours ago, scouseronline said:

We are visiting Santorini in September 2023, unfortunately the day we arrive (8:30am to 10pm) there are 4 large ships in port, with potentially 14,000 passengers.  Normally this doesn't bother me, but the fact that you have to take a cable car to the top from the port is really putting a damper on this day. I read that the cable cars can move up to 600 people per hour, so we could be stuck waiting hours. 3 ships will have arrived by 8am so more than 9,000 passengers by 8am. This must be a nightmare for people who have private trips booked. 

We walk about 5K most days, how difficult is it to walk to the top rather than wasting hours waiting for the cable car ? Thanks

I am perplexed fear of walking up to Fira is perpetuated on Cruise Critic.  We are in late 50s, not in the best shape, and had no problem walking up the stairs.  If you walk about 5 km every day, it will be trivial to you.

Just two things to point out.  Firstly, the stairs are at parts rather smooth, so they may be slippery.  Make sure to wear appropriate foot gear.  Secondly, there is donkey poop on the trail; it did not bother me, but some people find it objectionable. 

Another option, which has often been mentioned on these boards, is to take a private boat over to Oia.  The boats depart from the same pier where you will arrive on the tender.  As you walk along the pier (towards dry land) you will normally see some vendors holding signs offering boat tours.  The Oia transfer boats include a transfer across the cauldron/bay to a small pier located below Oia.  You than will walk a short distance to a mini-bus/van which will drive you up the steep windy road to Oia, where you are on your own,  Oia is a very walkable town and early in the morning your best option is to stop at a picturesque cafe for breakfast/coffee and the view.  The transfer boat folks will also give you a bus ticket for a transfer bus back to Fira which usually runs on some kind of schedule (they will give you this information).  

The one negative issue (we have previously pointed this out) with the private boat transfers is that they will often sit around waiting to get a full load before they depart for Oia.  But with so many folks tendering (on your day) I suspect the wait will not be too long (ask before you buy the transfer).  The boat transfer solves a couple of issues.  Not only is it a nice way to get over to Oia (just about everyone wants to visit this town), but you completely avoid the cable car (or walking up the hill).   Of course at some point, later in the day, you (and nearly everyone else on a cruise ship) will need to use the cable car (in Fira) to get down to the tender pier.  The alternative is walking (at least it is all downhill) but the warnings are valid about avoiding the donkey poo and being careful not to slip.

If the weather and sea conditions cooperate, there will also be some other private tours sold on that same tender pier (when you arrive below Fira from your ship).  There are usually some boat tours around the island and boat tours that include a visit to the famous Blue Grotto.  While many would call the Blue grotto a true tourist trap, many others would suggest that it is something to be done once in a lifetime (and just smile at the cost and too obvious pushing for tips).  The Blue Grotto tour involves taking a relatively small (perhaps 12 people) boat from that tender pier (below Fira) to near the Blue Grotto.  You than need to transfer into a very small rowboat what will take you into the Blue Grotto.  You later return to your "mother boat" and transfer back for your return ride to that same tender pier where this all started.  At that point you are again faced with the same issue of needing to use the cable car, climbing up the hill, or getting a boat over to Oia.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Another option, which has often been mentioned on these boards, is to take a private boat over to Oia.  The boats depart from the same pier where you will arrive on the tender.  As you walk along the pier (towards dry land) you will normally see some vendors holding signs offering boat tours.  The Oia transfer boats include a transfer across the cauldron/bay to a small pier located below Oia.  You than will walk a short distance to a mini-bus/van which will drive you up the steep windy road to Oia, where you are on your own,  Oia is a very walkable town and early in the morning your best option is to stop at a picturesque cafe for breakfast/coffee and the view.  The transfer boat folks will also give you a bus ticket for a transfer bus back to Fira which usually runs on some kind of schedule (they will give you this information).  

The one negative issue (we have previously pointed this out) with the private boat transfers is that they will often sit around waiting to get a full load before they depart for Oia.  But with so many folks tendering (on your day) I suspect the wait will not be too long (ask before you buy the transfer).  The boat transfer solves a couple of issues.  Not only is it a nice way to get over to Oia (just about everyone wants to visit this town), but you completely avoid the cable car (or walking up the hill).   Of course at some point, later in the day, you (and nearly everyone else on a cruise ship) will need to use the cable car (in Fira) to get down to the tender pier.  The alternative is walking (at least it is all downhill) but the warnings are valid about avoiding the donkey poo and being careful not to slip.

If the weather and sea conditions cooperate, there will also be some other private tours sold on that same tender pier (when you arrive below Fira from your ship).  There are usually some boat tours around the island and boat tours that include a visit to the famous Blue Grotto.  While many would call the Blue grotto a true tourist trap, many others would suggest that it is something to be done once in a lifetime (and just smile at the cost and too obvious pushing for tips).  The Blue Grotto tour involves taking a relatively small (perhaps 12 people) boat from that tender pier (below Fira) to near the Blue Grotto.  You than need to transfer into a very small rowboat what will take you into the Blue Grotto.  You later return to your "mother boat" and transfer back for your return ride to that same tender pier where this all started.  At that point you are again faced with the same issue of needing to use the cable car, climbing up the hill, or getting a boat over to Oia.

Hank

Hank, have you experienced Santorini when it’s been this crowded (4+ cruise ships)? Should I cancel a cruise if the Greek ports are this crowded in May?  I can’t decide between a cruise with a great itinerary, but 6 ships docked in Santorini, Mykonos, or a Greece land-based vacation to the Peloponnese and Naxos. 

Edited by GreenFamily

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

Hank, have you experienced Santorini when it’s been this crowded (4+ cruise ships)? Should I cancel a cruise if the Greek ports are this crowded in May?  I can’t decide between a cruise with a great itinerary, but 6 ships docked in Santorini, Mykonos, or a Greece land-based vacation to the Peloponnese and Naxos. 

Yes, we have been there on crowded days, but fortunately, the ship's arrival/departure times were staggered to help deal with all the folks.  We have never waited more than a half-hour to get the cable car up.   All our major problems have been with getting down.  Consider that even a single ship with 4000 passengers would need many hours to get most folks down.  A majority of our cruises have delayed their departure in order to allow additional time to get everyone down.  Most ships will station a crew person (with a radio) at the upper station to monitor the situation.  The problem is that there is never a guarantee that ships will wait, but we have never seen a post here on CC about a ship leaving behind many folks who have been stuck at the top.

Hank

@scouseronline   Are you asking this question because you want to meet a tour operator in Fira?  

If you're just trying to avoid the cable car line, take a ship's tour to Oia. ( I tried to do that with NCL when I was there in Sept, but it was sold out.)  With the tour, we would be tendered to a different area from the cable car location, bussed to Oia for an hr, then bussed to Fira and given vouchers for the cable car when we were ready to return to the ship.  Since you have a long port day, you could tell the tour leader that you're leaving the group to set off on your own.

We waited 2hrs for the cable car! Thankfully we were the last ship leaving so no line at all when we came down.

The boat that offers a transfer sat for an hr to collect pax. 

Walking the trail wasn't an option as my friend has a health issue, plus there is no shade on that path and it was hot. 

There's a lot of video on youtube ; views from the cable car that show people on the path, and video taken by people walking the path.  It's steep. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Only Santorini can be problematic with crowds, due to the limitations of getting from the ships to the island.

Other Greek islands don't have the same problem - I wouldn't change plans wholesale just because of that problem on Santorini.

And yes, if Santorini were "just another island" I'd choose a cruise which doesn't include it.

But it's not "just another island", it's magnificent 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Only Santorini can be problematic with crowds, due to the limitations of getting from the ships to the island.

Other Greek islands don't have the same problem - I wouldn't change plans wholesale just because of that problem on Santorini.

And yes, if Santorini were "just another island" I'd choose a cruise which doesn't include it.

But it's not "just another island", it's magnificent 

JB 🙂

You will also be happy to know that I have found Guinness (on draught) on Santorini 🙂

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we have been there on crowded days, but fortunately, the ship's arrival/departure times were staggered to help deal with all the folks.  We have never waited more than a half-hour to get the cable car up.   All our major problems have been with getting down.  Consider that even a single ship with 4000 passengers would need many hours to get most folks down.  A majority of our cruises have delayed their departure in order to allow additional time to get everyone down.  Most ships will station a crew person (with a radio) at the upper station to monitor the situation.  The problem is that there is never a guarantee that ships will wait, but we have never seen a post here on CC about a ship leaving behind many folks who have been stuck at the top.

Hank

Thanks Hank, 

Potentially 10,000 guests leaving port between 9pm and 10pm as 3 ships leaving within an hour of each other 😞 

The idea of the boat to Oia sounds the right way to go, then make sure we get back to Fira with many hours to spare.

1 minute ago, scouseronline said:

Thanks Hank, 

Potentially 10,000 guests leaving port between 9pm and 10pm as 3 ships leaving within an hour of each other 😞 

The idea of the boat to Oia sounds the right way to go, then make sure we get back to Fira with many hours to spare.

That would be my plan.  The issue with those later departures is that a fair number of folks will want to stay in Oia for the sunset....and this adds to the last minute congestion (not to mention trying to get back to Fira from Oia).  We would likely head back to the ship in time for dinner and enjoy the sunset from the deck of the ship.  I have previously posted that one of the most beautiful sunsets we have ever witnessed was watching the cliffs (from the deck of our ship) as the sun set behind us.  The light on the island is constantly changing and, in some ways, better than watching the sun.

Hank

• Like 1

I’m skeptical how accurate the websites listing port schedules are. My September 2024 Greek Isles cruise itinerary swapped days for several ports due to congestion. Websites are still showing my ship at Santorini for the previous itinerary’s schedule when 4 ships are there. Nothings been updated. Something to consider. You might be surprised to arrive there and discover there’s less ships than expected. 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

Does cruisemapper show your correct dates at Santorini?

Santorini was going to limit the number of cruise ship passengers per day.

But, looks like that just is not happening.

Not by looking at the schedules with several ships there.

We have booked a pre-season cruise, and one of the reasons why we picked that date is that, early in the season, ours should be the only ship at Santorini that day.

I did a search for cruises that month, here on CC and other sites.  So, I know that no other ships are showing on that day.  (unless it has recently changed!)

Won't be swimming weather, or water, for the Greek Isles at that time.

But, there are always trade-offs!

Edited by Wishing on a star

About walking up....

Remember the amount of walking that most would already be doing while sightseeing on Santorini.

Unless one is young and has unlimited stamina, ( not me ) then every step adds up!

Check cruise ship excursions which should give you the earliest tender off the ship, over to Althinios Port, and then usually on to Oia.     Yes, that is an expensive way to get onto the island and to Oia, but might be worth some consideration.

Remember, do not underestimate how early beforehand to be in the cablecar line to get back down to your ship.   It might not be a quick process.

Edited by Wishing on a star