Presidents Day Cruise

mmtska

My friend and I just got off of Margaritaville at Sea this past Monday and had a lot of fun! I just wanted to give a bit of an overview of what we experienced.

We sailed under the Heroes Sail Free offer. Both my friend and I are teachers and we split the cost so it wasn't too bad. We did find out from other teachers on the ship that they were able to book a room themselves and just pay port fees and taxes, but now the hero sails free, but you have to have someone to pay their way. Whatever, still was a good deal. 

We purchased License to Chill and the Ultimate Soda package. I drink a lot of soda (Coke products since I was wondering and no one could tell me lol). I felt both were worth it. I got a souvenir cup with the soda package that said M@S so I was happy. License to Chill was worth it to us. We got to the port early and they had snacks and drinks out. There was a long line for regular check in, but we only had to wait behind one couple and had a dedicated line. Disembarkation was a breeze-we didn't have to wait at all and bypassed the long line through customs. The internet part of the package was awesome too. I could have unplugged for a couple of days, but I didn't want to. With the soda package, there was a sticker on our sail pass so we didn't have to carry around the cup either. 

The first night was so rocky I had to leave dinner. I took Bonine and it did NOT work. Someone else who had gone said that sailing out of West Palm is like that so...blech. The staff was SO awesome though!

Foodwise I was all about it. The buffet is bigger than you think. We thought it was pretty small, and then we turned a corner and there was more. The other corner? More food. We ate WAY too much. Breakfast was really good and I didn't even realize the omelet station was outside until I had already piled food on my plate! The dining room was really good too. I wish I had been able to eat everything the first night, but my friend said it was really good. I wasn't excited about the 2nd night's selection, but it ended up being way better than I thought. There are free pepperoni and cheese pizza slices at the coffee bar after 5:00. You have to purchase full pizzas and specialty pizzas, but we were happy with the free stuff. Every video I watched or article I read said pizza wasn't free. LIES!! No you have to pay for the bbq chicken or whatever, but the pizza we had was pretty good. 

We had a blast with the trivia and the games and made some friends along the way. So very happy with our time on the ship.

Freeport on the other hand? yikes. We took a shared shuttle for $14 round trip per person, and I wish we had just stayed on the ship. We were CRAMMED into the shuttle and my legs didn't fit so I was sideways the whole time. The way back they somehow got another person in there and it was uncomfortable. When we got to Port Lucaya Marketplace, nothing was open because it was Sunday, so we walked about for like 20 minutes, found a bar/grille and had some really delicious snacks and drinks. Glad we got back to the ship when we did because it was much more interesting on there. Cool thing-if you win at trivia or another game, you get a free drink. 

We had fun. Don't know if I'd go again, but it was fun for a weekend getaway. If I did go back, I'd either stay on the ship and relax, or I'd book an excursion. Most likely I'd just stay on the ship and chill. 

Edited by mmtska
  • Like 1

Thanks for the review.

The seas going across the gulf stream this time of the year can be hit and miss.  Summer is usually calm, but winter can bring massive swells.

I drive along the ocean usually every day, and I can look out and see the "elephants" on the horizon, as we call them.  If you see them, you know its going to be a rough ride.

Bonine and Dramamine have never worked for me.  I swear by the Patch.  But you've got to take it before you start to feel ill.

6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Thanks for the review.

The seas going across the gulf stream this time of the year can be hit and miss.  Summer is usually calm, but winter can bring massive swells.

I drive along the ocean usually every day, and I can look out and see the "elephants" on the horizon, as we call them.  If you see them, you know its going to be a rough ride.

Bonine and Dramamine have never worked for me.  I swear by the Patch.  But you've got to take it before you start to feel ill.

I've used Dramamine several times and was fine. Figured I'd be ok with the Bonine. I think it was just SO rocky that it just didn't matter

59 minutes ago, mmtska said:

I've used Dramamine several times and was fine. Figured I'd be ok with the Bonine. I think it was just SO rocky that it just didn't matter

There's a big difference between rocking [ship going into the waves] and rolling [waves hitting the ship sideways].  Stabilizers are amazing with rocking but useless with rolling.  I wonder if the good results with mal-de-mer drugs are more often with rocking, and the failures with rolling...

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

You need to take motion sickness meds BEFORE you experience symptoms. It won't work as well once you are sick.YMMV. 

I did. I took it when we arrived at the port. It was just that bad that it didn't work.