Oistins Fish Fry Friday Night Barbados

Neecy1

Hi. We're not going til next March but wondering what  this is like. Enjoyed 2 TAs Soton to Barbados and we've decided to do it the other way round next year. The local taxi drivers were amazed we weren't going to Oistins. Is it good. Is it safe? Thanks

My wife and I did it in January when we were on Arvia's TA. It wasn't what we expected, mainly because we didn't realise Oistins was the name of the village and not, as I thought, a restaurant.

We thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The area was absolutely heaving but we felt completely safe though I would say as in any crowded place, keep a hold on your purse/wallet. The only thing I found  offputting was the volume of the entertainment. Given that it is out in the open it was louder than being at a rock concert in an indoor arena. Perhaps it's an age thing!

We booked a transfer prior to the cruise via a lady from Wales who has a page on social media site. She acts as an intermediary for taxi/tour companies on many of the Islands 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimson moon said:

My wife and I did it in January when we were on Arvia's TA. It wasn't what we expected, mainly because we didn't realise Oistins was the name of the village and not, as I thought, a restaurant.

We thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The area was absolutely heaving but we felt completely safe though I would say as in any crowded place, keep a hold on your purse/wallet. The only thing I found  offputting was the volume of the entertainment. Given that it is out in the open it was louder than being at a rock concert in an indoor arena. Perhaps it's an age thing!

We booked a transfer prior to the cruise via a lady from Wales who has a page on social media site. She acts as an intermediary for taxi/tour companies on many of the Islands 

Are you allowed to post her social media site?

We are hoping to go next Friday night when Arvia is in  port overnight

Hello. Went to Oistins on Friday 24th Feb. Great experience and yes the stage music is  loud, very much like a music festival with people dancing. It's crowded but everyone seems to be there to enjoy the atmosphere. It was 10 dollars per person each way from the Port if sharing taxi. Quoted 40 dollars if non share. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 7:30 PM, TigerB said:

On a recent accessible tour in Barbados, our guide recommended it and said the island has wheelchair accessible buses that can take you there. I've not yet looked into that.

Blessed Blossom Taxi and Tours has a wheelchair accessible van they use for tours, taxi, and transfer service.  We used them, and they were super helpful.

We went to Oisteens and had a great time.  We felt very safe, the food was good, and we got there early so we had a great sunset.  I will be posting a video of it later.

42 minutes ago, misguy said:

Blessed Blossom Taxi and Tours has a wheelchair accessible van they use for tours, taxi, and transfer service.  We used them, and they were super helpful.

Yes, it was them that took us on our tour and did the airport transfer.  She was talking about a public bus though. From the limited research I've done since, there doesn't appear to be a direct route from the port; it would have to be from the centre of Bridgetown.

We went to Oistins on Friday night

Really great experience. I would say 50 per cent locals there and 50 per cent cruise holidaymakers and tourists

Loud music. Great locally cooked fish 

Arvia was offering excursions for 27 us dollars return but they are were sold out

We went with  another couple and paid 10 us dollars taxi each way. It takes about 45 mins due to traffic

We left the  ship at 5.30pm arrived at 6.15pm and was already very busy

They have a craft market there as well

Here's something really important to watch out for:

All the food and drink is priced saying dollars. But it's Barbados dollars.

And you can pay half the barbados dollar price with US dollars instead 

I imagine there are many occasions tourists don't realise and pay double what they need

The goto fish is sold as "dolphin'" it's actually mai mai or something like that

We paid 35 Barbados dollars for that (17.5 Us dollars)

Lobster tail with rice was 80 Barbados dollars (40 US dollars)

It was a bucket list experience going there for us and a great day to end the holiday

I suggest when doing independent transfers with taxi drivers on cruises. Agree the us dollar price there and back. Agree your meeting point.  Pay half when you get there and half when they pick up.  They all seemed happy with that all cruise. 

Some places like Boatyard beach  in Barbados taxis are readily available to come back so you just pay transfer out. Which was 5 us dollars each for us

You could walk it in 25 minutes (Boatyard beach that  is) oistins isn't walkable

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We went to Oistins on Friday night

Really great experience. I would say 50 per cent locals there and 50 per cent cruise holidaymakers and tourists

Loud music. Great locally cooked fish 

Arvia was offering excursions for 27 us dollars return but they are were sold out

We went with  another couple and paid 10 us dollars taxi each way. It takes about 45 mins due to traffic

We left the  ship at 5.30pm arrived at 6.15pm and was already very busy

They have a craft market there as well

Here's something really important to watch out for:

All the food and drink is priced saying dollars. But it's Barbados dollars.

And you can pay half the barbados dollar price with US dollars instead 

I imagine there are many occasions tourists don't realise and pay double what they need

The goto fish is sold as "dolphin'" it's actually mai mai or something like that

We paid 35 Barbados dollars for that (17.5 Us dollars)

Lobster tail with rice was 80 Barbados dollars (40 US dollars)

It was a bucket list experience going there for us and a great day to end the holiday

I suggest when doing independent transfers with taxi drivers on cruises. Agree the us dollar price there and back. Agree your meeting point.  Pay half when you get there and half when they pick up.  They all seemed happy with that all cruise. 

Some places like Boatyard beach  in Barbados taxis are readily available to come back so you just pay transfer out. Which was 5 us dollars each for us

You could walk it in 25 minutes (Boatyard beach that  is) oistins isn't walkable

Thanks for the report👍

Tell me, did you notice what it was like for wheelchairs; the pavements and terrain and such like? Is it like the centre of Bridgetown, where kerbs are high and drop down kerbs are few and far between?

• 2 months later...

The fish-fry nites at Oistins don't only happen on a Friday.

If you like jostling crowds, then Friday's your night

but on other nights of the week, it's a lot less crowded

and consequently service is quicker.  Your choice.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:48 PM, TigerB said:

Thanks for the report👍

Tell me, did you notice what it was like for wheelchairs; the pavements and terrain and such like? Is it like the centre of Bridgetown, where kerbs are high and drop down kerbs are few and far between?

Sorry for the late answer, Cheryl was there with a scooter and had no issues.