solo cruisers - haven bidding and dining question

BostonGal35

have any solo cruisers here successfully won a bid to upgrade to the Haven?

and if you are a solo Haven cruiser (full price or upgrader) are you allowed to have a guest for dinner (or i guess breakfast or lunch ) once or twice during the week given that you have paid double occupancy or will they still charge you the nominal fee IF the concierge even allows a guest (i understand this "perk" is often concierge discretion).

47 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

and if you are a solo Haven cruiser (full price or upgrader) are you allowed to have a guest for dinner (or i guess breakfast or lunch ) once or twice during the week given that you have paid double occupancy or will they still charge you the nominal fee IF the concierge even allows a guest (i understand this "perk" is often concierge discretion).

I have won bids to upgrade to the Haven as well as paid full price.  Every time when I asked about bringing somebody to the dinning room, there was a fee.  The last time when I paid full price, breakfast and lunch were around $30, dinner was maybe $40.  But the other times the prices did vary.  The concierge did say that I would have to ask the Maitre d' before hand to get his/her Ok.

I believe that you're correct that it's the concierge's discretion since I was told that on one of my sailings.

2 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

@BostonGal35 First my situation.  I was solo for the first (and only) time on the NCL Joy March 2022.  Prior to my solo cruise, I was with my family on the NCL Joy in the Haven H2 Deluxe Owners Suite in December 2021.  I also wrote the OP-ED call The Secrets of the NCL Haven VIP Luxury Experience here on CruiseCritic.com. That was simply to give you foundation.

The reason I did my solo cruise on the Joy was because I had such a good time a few months earlier with my family.  I was looking at fares and notices I could book a Club Balcony Suite for $800.00 which was half of the normal fare.  That was very unusual.  So I did it.  My hopes were to upgrade to the Haven in any suite in or our of the Haven Proper.  

I figure you know this but others might not.  When you upgrade, you have to pay for two upgrades.  If you upgrade is $1,000.00, you pay $2,000.00 for example.  I did the math and figured how much it would have cost me to do a Haven Suite; took the money I spent and bid knowing it would be two upgrade amounts.  I set my budget and that established the bids.  

While doing so, I ask and research the same questions you are asking.  NCL does not care you paid for two upgrades to if you purchased the Haven Double Occupancy if you paid retail.  Their entire platform is Double Occupancy and the only time they come off of that is when the ship is not full and they want last minute additional occupancy.  You can invite friends to join you in the Haven Dining room with the pre-approval of the manager of the Haven Restaurant.  Each person that are non-Haven guest will have to pay for that opportunity if approved.  The last I heard it was close to $50.00 per person.  You also asked about Breakfast and Lunch meals.  Same approach however the fee might change.  

Regardless of being allowed to bring a person to the Haven Restaurant, I would like to recommend the Haven.  If you can afford the premium, it is the only way currently to sail on NCL for me.  I have recent had two cruises in Club Suites, with the Premium Plus Free At Sea Program, while also purchasing a Vibe Beach Club pass.  I called it and wrote about it as "Haven Lite".  I won't do it again.  That is a personal opinion.  I am spoiled, I know I am spoiled and at this stage in my life; I can choose to make that choice.  That is just me and you do you.  I hope my experience helps your final business decision.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.