The Key

When we were on Ovation back in September we notice that the Key people got to go bumper cart riding for an hour.  My sister and I decided if we ever go on another quantum class ship we would get the key.  I've looked at a variety of cruise compasses but don't see activities noted for the key.  Do they get their own schedule of events?  TIA  🙂

41 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

I've looked at a variety of cruise compasses but don't see activities noted for the key.

The reserved times for the key will show up via letter in your stateroom (The few times I have had the key the letter was always there on arrival to the cabin). 

• Thanks 1

On Oasis, the zip line was reserved for Key holders during certain times.   No line.  No one using it.   Couple of attendants standing around doing nothing.  But if you didn't have the Key, you were not allowed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

On Oasis, the zip line was reserved for Key holders during certain times.   No line.  No one using it.   Couple of attendants standing around doing nothing.  But if you didn't have the Key, you were not allowed.  

Odyssey is coming to Cape Liberty 2025....so got us thinking  🙂  

• Like 2

Not worth getting the key. It’s crazy people spend all that money pp for it. So you get an hour of certain activities during the week. The times they give you are usually when no one would be there anyways. You do realize you can buy one internet and all share. Or the more internet packages you buy the cheaper it gets. I would not consider it unless you are solo. A waste of money in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Sometimes the key is only like $30 more power person than a two device internet package. On Oasis class, that's super worth it just to get on board early. Reserved seating at shows and designated activity times makes it even better. 

This. I’m tracking the cost to see if it comes within range of other things we’re buying, I enjoyed it on our last cruise but wasn’t a must have. For the right price though..

5 hours ago, cannotfathom said:

When we were on Ovation back in September we notice that the Key people got to go bumper cart riding for an hour.  My sister and I decided if we ever go on another quantum class ship we would get the key.  I've looked at a variety of cruise compasses but don't see activities noted for the key.  Do they get their own schedule of events?  TIA  🙂

Open for key cruisers for 1 hour a couple times a week , a 5 minute ride and then get out and get back in line. $210 per person to ride the bumper cars is a little expensive. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Open for key cruisers for 1 hour a couple times a week , a 5 minute ride and then get out and get back in line. $210 per person to ride the bumper cars is a little expensive. 

On Ovation the same group pretty much rode the whole hour.  We were waiting in line to ride the next round and thought it would be a blast along with the other perks   🙂

I keep looking at the Key for our March 12 Anthem cruise (7 nights).  It's 30% off , so it's $28.99 pppd, which adds up to $405 total for 2 of us for the cruise.  

I picked up 2 device high speed internet at 40% off during one of those sales, which cost me about $170 for the week total.  So far, all of the other perks would have to be worth $335 for me - so far, I have not pulled the trigger.  

• Thanks 1

On Anthem in May our son made friends with a boy who had the key. There were two key sessions for the bumper cars, one early morning that only attracted a few people so he was able to stay on for the full session apparently and one at 6pm that was very busy.

I only know this as our son asked if I could buy the Key mid cruise after being told about no queuing bumper cars. I'm sure though from memory the morning session was very early around 8 - 8.30am.

15 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Sometimes the key is only like $30 more power person than a two device internet package. On Oasis class, that's super worth it just to get on board early. Reserved seating at shows and designated activity times makes it even better. 

I travel oasis class around 4-5 times a year. I live in south Florida. It’s very easy to get on line and reserve your time to board. Pick earliest time and you are on like 5 min after key. That easy. Shows you still have to show up early. They open up all seats 10 min before shows. The times they give you for activities is a time know one would be on anyways. It’s a complete waste. But most first time cruisers and newbies don’t know 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renza said:

I travel oasis class around 4-5 times a year. I live in south Florida. It’s very easy to get on line and reserve your time to board. Pick earliest time and you are on like 5 min after key. That easy. Shows you still have to show up early. They open up all seats 10 min before shows. The times they give you for activities is a time know one would be on anyways. It’s a complete waste. But most first time cruisers and newbies don’t know 

I'm diamond plus... far from a newbie. Every person has their own priorities.  If I wasn't already getting internet, I wouldn't do it. But the perks are worth it if it's a little more than that...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, renza said:

t’s a complete waste.

Why is it such a waste? It may be for you but to others it may have value.  I've never had it, but I always watch the price and since we buy 2 internet packages ( I know we can share but we choose not to) if it drops to a certain point I'd buy it.  As far as boarding early, that's a nice perk.  I have a 10:30 time for our Wonder cruise and although in theory we should get on 5 minutes after the Key passengers there's a good chance we'll be competing with a lot of passengers who have later boarding times to get on early.  A lot of passengers have decided honoring Royal's boarding times do not apply to them. We like getting on early like everyone else, to get our dining package reservations and start our vacation.  Lunch at Chops to avoid the crowds on embarkation day and the breakfast on debarkation day since we almost always have a late flight home is also desirable for us.  Was hoping to buy it for this cruise but it never dropped to a price where we found value in it, and then it sold out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

Why is it such a waste? It may be for you but to others it may have value.  I've never had it, but I always watch the price and since we buy 2 internet packages ( I know we can share but we choose not to) if it drops to a certain point I'd buy it.  As far as boarding early, that's a nice perk.  I have a 10:30 time for our Wonder cruise and although in theory we should get on 5 minutes after the Key passengers there's a good chance we'll be competing with a lot of passengers who have later boarding times to get on early.  A lot of passengers have decided honoring Royal's boarding times do not apply to them. We like getting on early like everyone else, to get our dining package reservations and start our vacation.  Lunch at Chops to avoid the crowds on embarkation day and the breakfast on debarkation day since we almost always have a late flight home is also desirable for us.  Was hoping to buy it for this cruise but it never dropped to a price where we found value in it, and then it sold out.

Getting on is always quick on oasis. We are always on at 11. We buy the UDP so lunch is at any specialty open on boarding day. Last day we always go to park cafe and eat a late breakfast. Usually walk off ship at 9:30. Chops with key is a small menu served in dining room on first day. Not the same as chops for sure. Royal loves the key, it’s a great way for them to make money on the newbie’s. 

2 minutes ago, renza said:

Royal loves the key, it’s a great way for them to make money on the newbie’s. 

Royal loves more than just the Key, and newbies to make money off of.  Their whole operation is to make as much money as possible.  They don't care if you're a newbie or Pinnacle.  To your point, we would probably never buy the UDP as you do, we don't find the value in it.  Although we enjoy speciality dining we almost always hit the wall day 5 when it comes to eating.  We eat pretty light from that point on making the UDP less value to us.  But you enjoy it so you buy it.  The difference is I'm not posting how much of a waste the UDP is.  I may be wrong but you seem to discount everyone's point on what the Key has to offer that each individual finds value in by contrasting it with your preferences.  Examples, the Chops lunch being a small menu, that's actually appealing to me, i'd be satisfied with the burger to start off my cruise or we enjoy sitting down in the MDR on the last morning while you enjoy Park Cafe.  Doesn't make the Key a waste. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, renza said:

... It’s crazy people spend all that money pp for it ... 

Consider that everyone in your cabin must get it, and it costs PER DAY ... then look at which perks you'd actually use.  Boarding wouldn't matter to us, as we've always been able to get 10:30 boarding.  The special time for various activities isn't a huge draw.  

We'd rather spend that money on nice experiences on the islands.  That's our priority.  

19 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Assuming you'd pay for internet, which we don't.  

I went to a show by myself and chose to sit upstairs ... it wasn't until I'd sat down that I realized I was in The Key area.  I looked around to see if I was going to get in trouble.  I saw a couple people I knew, knew they didn't have The Key because we stood in line together at boarding.  I kept my seat.  

13 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

... Their whole operation is to make as much money as possible ... 

They are a business.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

3 hours ago, renza said:

Getting on is always quick on oasis. We are always on at 11. We buy the UDP so lunch is at any specialty open on boarding day. Last day we always go to park cafe and eat a late breakfast. Usually walk off ship at 9:30. Chops with key is a small menu served in dining room on first day. Not the same as chops for sure. Royal loves the key, it’s a great way for them to make money on the newbie’s. 

There are lots of different upgrades people pay for unlimited dining, unlimited drink.  To me those are a waste, there are options for everyone and not all options are for everyone.  Why pay extra for food when you can already get all you can eat and many free places on the ship to eat?  May not be for you which is fine but do not say it is only for 1st time cruiser or newbies which would be the same thing.

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Consider that everyone in your cabin must get it, and it costs PER DAY ... then look at which perks you'd actually use.  Boarding wouldn't matter to us, as we've always been able to get 10:30 boarding.  The special time for various activities isn't a huge draw.  

We'd rather spend that money on nice experiences on the islands.  That's our priority.  

Assuming you'd pay for internet, which we don't.  

I went to a show by myself and chose to sit upstairs ... it wasn't until I'd sat down that I realized I was in The Key area.  I looked around to see if I was going to get in trouble.  I saw a couple people I knew, knew they didn't have The Key because we stood in line together at boarding.  I kept my seat.  

They are a business.  

If you aren't getting internet, it's probably not for you. The other benefits are nice, but not worth the price. But you are purchasing an internet package, it may well be worth the upgrade. Everyone spends on what's valuable to them. 

The Key is an option that certainly has its detractors, so it is nice to read a thread with a few other views.  We had a cruise for this summer with 2 tender ports (Mykonos and Santorini) and that had me looking to see if The Key was worth the cost for our family. The best price has been $19.99 a night, but I hesitated. My youngest daughter is a vegetarian, and the Chops lunch menu looked problematic for her. Then we had an itinerary change (Athens swapped for Mykonos) and one less tender port.  I still check the price regularly but likely will opt for an internet package.

• Like 1

Key for my cruise is $42.99/person/day before tax...that's too rich for my blood right now.

I told the spouse it would have to reduce by at least half for me to buy it...just b/c I'd be buying for 6...so the internet included is only so valuable...

Although it was nice the price started so high.  It took the "do I buy" decision right out of my mental calculus b/c at that price, it was so obviously no.

Same as the all-in alcohol package - right now, it's "on sale" for $79.99/day plus tax/tip.  Spouse told me at that price, he'd rather just stick to a drink a day and a coffee out of pocket.  We'll see if that one drops later...

I guess it's nice the May 2024 prices are so high...it keeps all the money in my pocket for things I don't actually need to enjoy the ship...

For our cruise in a year it is $43/pp for the Key and streaming internet is $18/day/device.  
That is a big price difference.  I'll be using my Disney World skills to get the first boarding.   I'd rather keep my carry-on with me (even if we had the Key).  I think I'll find a quiet corner and enjoy a book until the room is ready and keep everyone's carry-on piled around me.  Knowing me I'll probably want some "We made it! and now I can relax time."    

Edited by HappyTexan44