How is the new process of only once a day cabin cleaning going?

AK Dreaming

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why would you miss your dinner reservations if you haven't gotten your luggage?

Perhaps they are in shorts and flip flops and dinner tonight is at LeBistro.

In early cruising days you had to dress up for dinner.  Well upon boarding I sent my DH long pants out for pressing…not realizing that left him with nothing but shorts.  I felt so bad for him…walking into the dining room full of fancy dressers..and there he is in Bermuda shorts.  I told him it’s like dancing…just smile cause nobody looks at your feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Perhaps they are in shorts and flip flops and dinner tonight is at LeBistro.

In early cruising days you had to dress up for dinner.  Well upon boarding I sent my DH long pants out for pressing…not realizing that left him with nothing but shorts.  I felt so bad for him…walking into the dining room full of fancy dressers..and there he is in Bermuda shorts.  I told him it’s like dancing…just smile cause nobody looks at your feet.

Yeah.  I'm 100%  certain that nobody worth caring about cares.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The change to having the cabins cleaned once a day has not been a concern for me at all this cruise.  For context, last week I was in a studio cabin then switched to an inside cabin this week.  Both cabin attendants were great.  I even saw the one this week washing out the garbage can that I had only used for all the paper that gets delivered.

26 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

If you wanted to change out of your beachy clothes and dress for a dining room?

Food tastes even better in beachy clothes!   Nobody cares.  It's embarkation day and everybody who is anybody is just super happy to be on the ship.  The rest?  Well, they're likely just grumpy/miserable people looking for yet another reason to complain.  We have one or two of them right here on the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

With just my hubby I think we could live with once daily (although no towel animals is actually a big negative)..

However, our upcoming cruise we have 3 in the cabin and will need the couch made up and put away every day for sanity and to access the balcony (my dad is elderly and couldn’t walk around a crowded pulled out couch easily to access the balcony for Alaska)….  They probably need to prioritize pulling the beds (and dry towels also from reading the thread)….  We thought we would try NCL for the first time but I am fearing it is a mistake with less service for a higher daily service charge. 
     I hope they reconsider the change very quickly and remedy it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is that true on day one when luggage hasn't arrived?  I thought that was a get out of jail free card.  Otherwise, LeBistro would be empty.

If you’re anxious about appropriate attire for your preferred dining establishment on day 1 put it in your carry-on. I always have a few essentials in my carry-on in case after having had luggage go astray on past travels. Who knows when a trolley full of luggage might fall into the water.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

Also- has anyone ever put your couch/bed away and pulled it out? Is it hard to do yourself?

Super easy, but if you happen to be older (we are in our 50s) or differently abled it would potentially be very difficult. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

With just my hubby I think we could live with once daily (although no towel animals is actually a big negative)..

However, our upcoming cruise we have 3 in the cabin and will need the couch made up and put away every day for sanity and to access the balcony (my dad is elderly and couldn’t walk around a crowded pulled out couch easily to access the balcony for Alaska)….  They probably need to prioritize pulling the beds (and dry towels also from reading the thread)….  We thought we would try NCL for the first time but I am fearing it is a mistake with less service for a higher daily service charge. 
     I hope they reconsider the change very quickly and remedy it.

We just got off the Dawn. We had 3 in a tight balcony cabin. Our Stewart told us he could not pull the sofa out and also fold it up. We would have to do one and he would do the other. The problem was he made our room mid afternoon. We would fold the bed away in the morning and he would unfold it around 3 pm. We were able to step on it to get to the balcony but I would not recommend it for anyone with mobility issues. If it was just the 2 of us the once a day service would have been fine with us. We even offered $$$ but he apologized and said he was not allowed to come back in later to unfold the bed. I felt bad for him he seemed so overworked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problems with it at all.  ON our recent 10-day sailing we even tld our steward not to both with our cabin on three different days since it was not messy (we aren't slobs).  He did come back later in the day and open the sleeper for my son and asked if we needed clean towels.  People are making way too much out of this. If you need soemthing "extra" simply ask and it will be done.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vakmom said:

We just got off the Dawn. We had 3 in a tight balcony cabin. Our Stewart told us he could not pull the sofa out and also fold it up. We would have to do one and he would do the other. The problem was he made our room mid afternoon. We would fold the bed away in the morning and he would unfold it around 3 pm. We were able to step on it to get to the balcony but I would not recommend it for anyone with mobility issues. If it was just the 2 of us the once a day service would have been fine with us. We even offered $$$ but he apologized and said he was not allowed to come back in later to unfold the bed. I felt bad for him he seemed so overworked. 

I was assured by NCL that they would make up our third bed and put it away every day.  From what I'm reading that is not always the case.  It is very frustrating. We are 3 women 53 to 73.  There will be some mobility issues if the bed is left out all day.

We would be perfectly happy embarking into a clean room and not seeing the steward the entire trip.  They should have one of those breakfast door hanger type menus for service.  Empty trash, pickup dishes, we rarely need anything done for us in a week.  Our price should reflect that!

44 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I was assured by NCL that they would make up our third bed and put it away every day.  From what I'm reading that is not always the case.  It is very frustrating. We are 3 women 53 to 73.  There will be some mobility issues if the bed is left out all day.

The 3rd bed was for our 19 yr old. None of us have mobility issues. I think in your situation they will make an exception. I certainly hope so at least. 

It used to be that the dress code for LeBistro was waved embarkation day. That's when we would eat there. LOL As for the sofa bed my husband is 74 and he was able to open and close the bed for our grand daughter after watching the room steward do it once. The room steward was not happy when he found out. He was worried my husband would hurt himself but didn't outright tell him not to do it.

17 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

Also- has anyone ever put your couch/bed away and pulled it out? Is it hard to do yourself?

Have done it lots of time.   The sofa is just a matter of taking off cushions, pulling out a drawer (sort of) and replacing the cushions.  Sometimes if the bed is not put away the steward will just make it up as a bed all day.   We wanted to have room to move around,   By the way I am a woman and 72 years old.  I have slept on a couch,  murphy bed and several times in the second bedroom with a couch.  I have not however tried to pull down a pullman.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, eileeshb said:

If you’re anxious about appropriate attire for your preferred dining establishment on day 1 put it in your carry-on. I always have a few essentials in my carry-on in case after having had luggage go astray on past travels. Who knows when a trolley full of luggage might fall into the water.. 

Yup, I’ve actually seen that happen years ago. 

16 hours ago, vakmom said:

You're cabin STEWARD was named STEWART, what are the odds?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, madgran said:

Have done it lots of time.   The sofa is just a matter of taking off cushions, pulling out a drawer (sort of) and replacing the cushions.  Sometimes if the bed is not put away the steward will just make it up as a bed all day.   We wanted to have room to move around,   By the way I am a woman and 72 years old.  I have slept on a couch,  murphy bed and several times in the second bedroom with a couch.  I have not however tried to pull down a pullman.

Thanks! This is so helpful 💕

3 hours ago, shoptom said:

We would be perfectly happy embarking into a clean room and not seeing the steward the entire trip.  They should have one of those breakfast door hanger type menus for service.  Empty trash, pickup dishes, we rarely need anything done for us in a week.  Our price should reflect that!

The problem here is lots of people would opt out of the cabin cleaning fee option (for your convenience), but still utterly trash the room over the course of a week and live like pigs despite claiming to not "need" service. If turnaround day means having to do a deep clean of a room that hasn't been tended to for a week you won't be getting in before 6pm. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1