Luggage Storage close to NYC cruise terminal?

happy_travellers

You might want to use Amtrak's luggage storage facility in the new Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Station. I believe the cost is $20 per item for passengers who don't have an Amtrak ticket or $10 per item if you're an Amtrak ticketholder. It's probably about a $20 taxi or Uber ride from the cruise terminal. 

It's also a convenient location for getting to Newark Airport. There's a taxi stand there and also a rideshare pickup area if you're using Uber, Lyft or a car service. You can also take a NJ Transit train from Penn Station to EWR or you can also take Amtrak, but the cost of an Amtrak ticket will be at least double that of a NJ Transit ticket.

While it's common for people to recommend storing luggage at a hotel you can't be sure on any particular day if any particular hotel will allow it and I don't like the idea of sending passengers  disembarking a cruise on a wild goose chase looking for a hotel that will do it.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:41 PM, happy_travellers said:

Just any hotel, even if not staying there?

Yes.  We've done this a dozen times.  A few of those times we've been told "no" but the next place was always happy to do so for a Mr. Hamilton or two

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Yes.  We've done this a dozen times.  A few of those times we've been told "no" but the next place was always happy to do so for a Mr. Hamilton or two

LOL I had to look up Mr Hamilton, I knew "a Benjamin".  So 10-20.00. Ok now have a few options.  Thank you

1 minute ago, happy_travellers said:

LOL I had to look up Mr Hamilton, I knew "a Benjamin".  So 10-20.00. Ok now have a few options.  Thank you

Usually this works the best if you are planning on using the hotels restaurants or bar and usually just at nicer 4-5 star establishments. If you walk up and tell them you are grabbing lunch or a drink there is zero chance they will say no-- its like checking a coat at a restaurant. 

On 3/11/2023 at 3:08 PM, happy_travellers said:

Thank you! Suggestion for Restaurant?

What's your budget?
What kind of food?
What neighborhood?

SO many  options and we've been to NYC over 50 times in the past 10 years, should be easy to come up with the right choice for you

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

What's your budget?
What kind of food?
What neighborhood?

SO many  options and we've been to NYC over 50 times in the past 10 years, should be easy to come up with the right choice for you

We firstly one that will store our luggage.  Italian , America  lunch.  Thank you

2 hours ago, happy_travellers said:

We firstly one that will store our luggage.  Italian , America  lunch.  Thank you

The suggestion about storing luggage when eating at a restaurant specifically referred to restaurants in high end hotels, not free standing restaurants. That's because better hotels normally have luggage storage facilities for their guests. Restaurants, if they have a coat room at all, don't typically have a lot of spare storage space that would allow you to store your luggage for hours while you're out sightseeing.

4 hours ago, happy_travellers said:

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The suggestion about storing luggage when eating at a restaurant specifically referred to restaurants in high end hotels, not free standing restaurants. That's because better hotels normally have luggage storage facilities for their guests. Restaurants, if they have a coat room at all, don't typically have a lot of spare storage space that would allow you to store your luggage for hours while you're out sightseeing.

To njhorseman's point, there is a game to be played here and it's only done at a high end hotel's restaurant or bar that is off the lobby (vs a restaurant in a hotel that is accessed from the street). 

In Midtown for Italian you could do Harry Cipriani at the Sherry-Netherland but it is heinously expensive (but incredibly atmospheric). I'm at a loss to think of another Midtown hotel with a good Italian restaurant in it but I'm sure others might chime in. 

For something on the completely opposite side of affordability you could do Burger Joint at The Thompson on 56th (it's sort of hidden away but its one of the better burgers in NYC-- nothing fancy but inexpensive and they will store your bags). The Blue Bar and Lounge at The Algonquin in Times Square definitely will do it (checked a bag for a meeting there a couple weeks ago). My personal favorite would be at the King Cole Bar at The St Regis, although again this will be expensive drinks and food, although not as expensive as Cipriani. 

There are a bunch of options here that can be researched but there are four workable recs that are at the bottom and the top of what you could reasonable expect to spend and in a very desirable area to walk around in if you only had a few hours in town. 

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Google luggagehero for storage locations in NYC

The problem with that site and similar is that you don't know the exact business and address until you've given them your credit card information. Personally I don't want to hand my valuables over to some liquor store, souvenir shop, grocery store, etc. that I know nothing about.

As I've already mentioned there's luggage storage available from Amtrak at the Moynihan Train Hall, which also happens to be a good place for the OP to make their trip to EWR from, as there are several forms of transportation readily available there...taxi, car service, ride share or train.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The problem with that site and similar is that you don't know the exact business and address until you've given them your credit card information. Personally I don't want to hand my valuables over to some liquor store, souvenir shop, grocery store, etc. that I know nothing about.

As I've already mentioned there's luggage storage available from Amtrak at the Moynihan Train Hall, which also happens to be a good place for the OP to make their trip to EWR from, as there are several forms of transportation readily available there...taxi, car service, ride share or train.

Honestly, that may be as easy as anything else. Leave the bags at Moynihan, plan on the train to EWR, and explore. They're going to have a decent amount of time. Penn Station is close to the Empire State Building, Macy's, the Flatiron Building, Time Square, and Rockefeller Center. They'll be beat, but it's doable!

Although I'm taking notes on princeton123211's recommendations for the future! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,OP here.  We ended up using Bounce and it was a fabulous experience. On the website you can see if they are deli's, hotels ect and the approximate time from the port. I chose a hotel and we walk to it about 15 minutes, faster than getting a taxi to do a short run from the port. The hotel had a podium for bounce right inside the door. It was a very well run operation. The hotel front desk gave us a map of NYC, we were able to use the washroom.  When we returned for our luggage no problems, they called us a taxi.  Very good option to sitting at the airport for hours. As it happened our flight was cancelled at the last hour so that would have been a very horrible day. LOL