Carrying on non-alcoholic beverages

shawn742

1 hour ago, shawn742 said:

Hello! I was wondering if HAL allows you to bring on a 12-pack of soda per person, like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. do?

Terms and Conditions permit carrying on 1 12 pack of canned water per cabin.  No soda, no plastic or glass bottles either.  We have had success in bringing on a 12 pack of sparkling water...some others have said that was confiscated from them though.

Frequently Asked Cruise Questions - Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

"items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. "

2 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Terms and Conditions permit carrying on 1 12 pack of canned water per cabin.  No soda, no plastic or glass bottles either.  We have had success in bringing on a 12 pack of sparkling water...some others have said that was confiscated from them though.

There have been reports that flavored water has been confiscated. 

33 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There have been reports that flavored water has been confiscated. 

We've brought on lemon LaCroix sparkling water our last two departures from Port Everglades.  Bag went through x-ray, they asked what was in the bag, we showed the 12 pack, and they said it was OK.  So, at least for us, no pushback on the sparkling water.

I think there is a huge disconnect between the ships and the home office on this policy.  This question has come up over the years over and over with some people saying yes and some people saying no.  Those saying no point to the policy which makes sense.  On our November voyage, I did not bring on soda at the beginning but waited until we had a port stop.  On the port stop I asked SECURITY if I could bring on soda and they said yes.  I bought a 6 pack of cans and brought it right through security.  On many other cruises, I did the same thing and security ALWAYS said yes.  I no longer bring it on at embarkation, but wait for a port stop and then ask when I pass security.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shawn742 said:

Thank you all for the replies. Are the complimentary beverages on board the same as Carnival?

Complimentary beverages are in the Lido and are coffee, ice tea, water, plus hot water and various tea bags.  During lunch and dinner the servers additionally offer lemonade.

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I think there is a huge disconnect between the ships and the home office on this policy.  This question has come up over the years over and over with some people saying yes and some people saying no.  Those saying no point to the policy which makes sense.  On our November voyage, I did not bring on soda at the beginning but waited until we had a port stop.  On the port stop I asked SECURITY if I could bring on soda and they said yes.  I bought a 6 pack of cans and brought it right through security.  On many other cruises, I did the same thing and security ALWAYS said yes.  I no longer bring it on at embarkation, but wait for a port stop and then ask when I pass security.  

I recently attended a Q&A by the Security officer on our ship and he mentioned that the Security dept. mans the scanners at the ports and that they are looking for security related items (guns, knives, etc) and not soft drinks/wine/beer as that was the responsibility of the revenue department.  He did not SAY that you could bring those items onboard however.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

What about Liquid Death Mountain Water? It’s the only canned water that I know of, but it only comes in an 18 pack of 16.9 oz cans. What other canned water is available - just plain water?

17 hours ago, oakridger said:

"However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom."

So basically, no on an 18 pack of 16.9 oz cans.  The 500 ml size exactly meets the 16.9 oz per-item volume limit but not in an 18 pack.

28 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

So basically, no on an 18 pack of 16.9 oz cans.  The 500 ml size exactly meets the 16.9 oz per-item volume limit but not in an 18 pack.

But I could take 6 cans out of the pack. Would they let me bring that? Someone else in my party could have the other 6 cans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

But I could take 6 cans out of the pack. Would they let me bring that? Someone else in my party could have the other 6 cans.

You may want to ask HAL in advance, although the guidance doesn't say they need to be in a sealed carton, it just specifies the allowed limit.

The limit is per cabin, although I don't imagine they try to figure out what bags go to what cabin during xray inspection. In the olden days, when "one bottle of wine" was allowed, we always took one per bag.

I've carried a 12 pack of soda on each cruise at embarkation, including last fall, and no one ever blinks an eye at security.

I do this knowing that I might not be able to each time...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Thanks for reporting back. What port did you sail from?

Fort Lauderdale. I looked for the X-ray line that I assumed would care the least, based on how miserable they appeared 😅

• Haha 1