No Excursions to Portland, Maine?

7Trainguy1951

My wife and I are trying to book shore excursions for our Canada/ New England cruise this September on the Escape, but NCL still isn't showing any available. I saw several months ago that the town of Portland might not allow cruise ships. Does anyone have any updates on this? 

3 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

My wife and I are trying to book shore excursions for our Canada/ New England cruise this September on the Escape, but NCL still isn't showing any ... anyone have any updates on this? 

We have 2 cabins booked on the Escape - early September and yelp - "search" enabled for radar tracking updates on port restrictions (namely Maine)  I supposed after tendering at Newport (which we aren't crazy about with mega ships ... probably going to stay onboard) could end up be in Boston as an alternate port stop, LOL.  Were in Portland not long ago but going to be a bummer with Bar Harbor - which is also a tender stop, but our plan is to go ashore there.  

The way things are going, not sure if we are going ahead with final payment coming up fairly soon.  

I was on the January 8th NCL Getaway that cancelled the Dominican Republic and morning in Antigua for environmental reasons.  The first sign people had of the closures was that when they contacted private tour operators in the Dominican Republic, and the private tour providers asked "are you sure you are docking" or began their emails by explaining their generous refund policies, and how they wouldn't charge you if the ship didn't dock.

If you are outside of final payment you need to be careful because NCL waited until we were within final payment to announce the cancellation of the DR due to environmental concerns and continued to sell and advertise this cruise as going to the DR on its website.  People who bought the cruise on the phone from NCL after the port cancellation were not informed of the change, nor were they allowed to cancel.  So if you are still outside of cancellation you need to give this some thought (I have no idea how important Bar Harbor is to you but wouldn't count on NCL being transparent with their schedule changes prior to final payment.

There is a thread about the issues that are happening with Alaska inside passage being cancelled here and I think someone mentioned Bar harbor here:  

Edited by kitkat343

13 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

My wife and I are trying to book shore excursions for our Canada/ New England cruise this September on the Escape, but NCL still isn't showing any available. I saw several months ago that the town of Portland might not allow cruise ships. Does anyone have any updates on this? 

If you do make it to Portland, no need for an NCL tour.  Check out these folks:

https://portlanddiscovery.com/

A few years ago, we took their City and Lighthouse Tour, and it was fabulous.  A fun and interesting introduction to Portland, followed by a visit to the Portland Head Light.  (Yes, you may be able to see the Light from your ship, weather permitting, but it was also excellent to get the perspective from land.)  We took a morning tour, and had plenty of time for lunch and then Holy Donuts afterwards.   🙂 

PortlandHeadLightfromland(2).thumb.jpg.f41d5b08ca15980aae0de4284537eb01.jpg

• Like 2

There is so much to do in Portland you absolutely don't need to book anything through the cruise line. I went there a couple years ago on my own and had no problem finding great tours and things to do. Here are a few of my recommendations.

Lucky Catch Lobster tours

https://www.luckycatch.com/lobstering-schedule/

Summerfeet Cycling Bicycle Tours

https://summerfeet.net/where-to-bike-in-portland/

Portland Fire Truck Tours

https://portlandfiretours.com/

Or you can hop the ferry over to Peak's Island for the day.

https://www.cascobaylines.com/schedules/peaks-island-schedule/

• Like 1

I live in Portland and you will be coming here. The referendum to limit cruise passengers failed in Portland. Bar Harbor passed but several town businesses have started litigation regarding that. You definitely do not need an NCL tour in Portland. Even I’ve been on a Portland Discovery tour (with visiting family)!  If you don’t want to do that just go to the Casco Bay Ferry Terminal and get tickets for a Mailboat run! You’ll see all the islands and if 10 + people they narrate and it costs <20$. There is a place to rent bicycles just off the boat and plenty of restaurants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2