Ocean medallion @port

Lt108

I am platinum but refuse to pay $10 to have medallion mailed. If you pick up at port will your name be engraved with cruise date and ship as our last cruise(2019) when it ws previously mailed?  Will loyalty status color be on medallion?

Thank uoi

1 minute ago, Lt108 said:

I am platinum but refuse to pay $10 to have medallion mailed. If you pick up at port will your name be engraved with cruise date and ship as our last cruise(2019) when it ws previously mailed?  Will loyalty status color be on medallion?

Thank uoi

As Canadians we have to pick up at port. Mine all show this details!  Great fridge magnets after

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lt108 said:

Thank uoi

Yes and yes.

• Like 1

If I want to book the Sanctuary, Chef's Table, etc immediately upon boarding,  how many people with medallions in hand will pass me and board before me?

Or is this a pre-boarding, go to you assigned boarding 'station/lounge' and wait to be called to board - aka 'highest captain's circle level'?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

If I want to book the Sanctuary, Chef's Table, etc immediately upon boarding,  how many people with medallions in hand will pass me and board before me?

It all depends on how many people from the U.S. are booked on the cruise and had their Medallions delivered to them.  Remember, the Medallions are only shipped to U.S. addresses.  There was quite a long line at Medallion pick-up when I boarded a Southampton departing cruise as the majority of the passengers were Brits and had no choice, but to pick up their Medallions at the port.

It also depends on how organized the port agents are.  Sometimes there is a long line to pick-up Medallions, sometimes there isn't.  The agents, are mostly seniors working part time, and their eyes don't work as well.  The writing on the bins and baggies used to organize the Medallions are quite small.  If your Medallion is misfiled in the bins, it will take longer to find, as the agent has to shuffle through the nearby bins.  If your Medallion is missing from the bins, then you have to wait until Guest Services can make a new Medallion for you and for a crew member from the ship to hand deliver a new Medallion to the pick-up area.

As far as boarding, get a group closest to "1" or "A" so that you can get on the ship first.  The sooner you have your Medallion, the sooner you can get a boarding group assigned to you.  Having Captain's Circle Status helps, but some passengers lie to get an earlier boarding group.  Remember, Princess sometimes issues the wrong colored loyalty status on the Medallion (if this happens, Guest Services can do a swap out) or some people have the image customized, there really isn't a way to verify status just form the Medallion at embarkation.  The Elite and Platinum perks are really only loosely enforced at the port.  This really only matters if you arrive before boarding; the groups are called quite quickly as soon as boarding commences.  This point is really null and void after they are done calling groups.  Once, they are done calling boarding groups and getting the initial crowd boarded, approximately 30 to 45 minutes after boarding commences, it's a free for all to get onboard. 

Lots of variables can change your experience at embarkation.  You are correct in that you should book onboard experiences as soon as you board to better have your desired times available to reserve.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:33 AM, Lt108 said:

Thank uoi

The Medallions are the same regardless of whether you get them shipped to you home or pick them up at the port.  The only difference is if you want to customize the image on the Medallion.  If you are happy with the color of the Medallion corresponding to your Captain's Circle status, then by all means pick-up them up at the port and save the $10 in shipping.

The Medallions at the port are actually made on board the ship you are sailing on in the weeks preceding your embarkation date.  The ship has a surplus supply of these and the lanyards; the crew laser print your name/ship/sail date on demand.  That's why it's easy to get a replacement at Guest Services if you happen to lose your Medallion.  The process takes less than a minute.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm in the minority in wanting the Medallions mailed to me in advance of the cruise.  For a mere $10, I get the excitement of receiving the Medallions and of bringing them home.  For my wife and me, getting the Medallions drives home the fact that the cruise is really happening and SOON!  

• Like 2

I guess it's the principle of the thing?? You've spent thousands and resent the nickel and diming? 

How do you spend the the $10 you 'saved'??   (Or the $50 or whatever for the family??)

I've done it both ways...pick up and mailed...no difference...

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

Or is this a pre-boarding, go to you assigned boarding 'station/lounge' and wait to be called to board - aka 'highest captain's circle level'?

The key thing about Post #7 - and I am sure you realize it - is to arrive early prior to general boarding.  You get priority check-in based on Captain's Circle level, or if booked in a Suite or Reserve.  It won't add much then to get Medallion from the check-in folks.  Then you are seated waiting for boarding to begin.  People who did have Medallions and didn't have are all mixed together by priority and arrival time for check-in.  So, if arriving early enough, you can get on quickly.  

• Like 1