Cruise ship excursion: Paris on your own or Mont St. Michel from Le Havre?

Eli_6

I know that either one will involve a 2.5-3 hour bus ride one way.  This is the third reschedule of a cruise from Barcelona to London for us so I expect it will be years before we will be back. The ship will be in Le Havre for 14 hours---from 7 am to 9 pm.  Originally (2 years ago) when we were booked on this cruise, we were going to Mont St. Michele and I was going to leave my kids on the boat with my Mom...but now they are old enough that they protest greatly about such a plan. My kids (9 and 10 at time of cruise) really want to go to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower. I know that with 5 to 6 hours spent on the bus, we won't get much time to do anything other than see the Eiffel Tower, but I feel like Paris is so iconic that to be that close and not see it, that we should suck it up and go on the bus ride.  On the other hand, I feel like at some point in the future (although, it may be 10+ years) we will make it back to Paris.  I think it is less likely that we will ever make it back to Mont St. Michel and it looks like a really neat place.  Or should we not even undertake such a long drive and do something like the much closer Benedictine monastery?      

• Like 1

You have framed the issues well, so it becomes one of those family decisions without a perfect option.  When our DD was 9, we took her to Europe for a 3 week trip (using a Eurorail Pass) that included Germany, Holland, France and Switzerland.  Now, over thirty years later, she still remembers most of those few days in Paris (her favorite part of the trip).  While we are fine with MSM (we once stayed at a motel within sight of that town) you must understand that MSM is no Paris.  

With 9-10 year olds we would have a "family meeting" and explain all the issues (perhaps with some photos).  I will also admit that we have a family bias as DW considers Paris her favorite city in the world (and we have visited over 130 countries).

Hank

• Like 1

DD(17) really wanted to see Paris. I took her (2.5 hrs bus each way). She loved it--I was somewhat exhausted and it was a lot of traveling. I've been to Paris a few times, so it was just for her and mother/daughters time. Now, 5 years later, she's grad college and might not be back for quite a while. I do not regret it at all. 

• Like 1

I can appreciate the quandary.🤔

For a lot of iconic cities distant from a cruise port my advice has always been that if you don't think you'll have another chance, go for it.  Otherwise perhaps put it on the back-burner and at some time in the future give it the 3 or 4 or 5 days or more that it deserves.

One foreshortened day covers been there, done that, got the "I 💗 Paris" T-Shirt.  Paris duly ticked off the bucket-list - except it doesn't even scratch the surface.

But I don't rate Mont St Michel worthy of the sore backside either.

Do the D-Day beaches and Normandy campaign sights not appeal? Or Bayeux, or a lazy day in Honfleur? Or renting a car & exploring the byways of rural Normandy, tasting some farm-produced Calvados (but not the driver)? Or visiting Monet's garden and/or Rouen?

JB 🙂

• Like 2

In almost all cases I would have recommended to go Mont St. Michel. It is such a special and unique site. World heritage, of course, and so much closer than Paris.

Yet, in your case, as your children want to go there such dearly, it might be different: Even if you or they might go back in the future, if it is indeed their wish, it will be a special moment to see and climb the Eiffel Tower now.

They will probably treasure this moment. 

Thus I second the idea of showing them pictures and cleary explaing them the effort needed to get to Paris, to make sure, it is really what they want and not just because it is the only place they have heard about.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carlmm said:

In almost all cases I would have recommended to go Mont St. Michel. It is such a special and unique site. World heritage, of course, and so much closer than Paris.

Hmm. It is actually about the same distance (a little over 200km) but generally has taken me longer to drive to MSM than into Paris.  And if you are going to base things on World Heritage Sites, the Banks of the Seine are in that category.  Just for fun I looked at Via Michelin and they have the drive from Le Havre to MSM at 3:08.  Their time to drive to the 1st Arrondisement in Paris is 2:13.

I mention this because we think many folks are surprised at just how far it is to MSM (from Le Havre).  That is why we never recommend going to MSM from Le Havre.  Not sure it is worth 6 hours on a bus.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, agree. If there is a choice I would rather go and see the Normandy Beaches and Sights then MSM, which is a sight but the streets are very narrow and almost always packed...I spent a night on MSM some years ago and had the place in the evening and morning almost to myself...

But depending on the tour to Paris provided by your company you might see more than just the Eiffel Tower...if it's only a transfer and you will have time for yourself to wander, I recommend to head to the tower of Montparnasse to get to the top without the waiting time at Eiffel Tower and best thing, it's much a nicer view from there.

Edited by onyx007
  • Like 1

That's an easy one: Mont Saint Michel is a world heritage site and Paris is a rat-infested city, with the garbage men on strike.

When the strike eventually ends and the city gets (more or less) cleaned up, it's always easy to fly in if you insist on experiencing the "Paris syndrome".

2EXPCOTYH5AYJMEHUS2QUVNMY4.jpg

Dechets-a-Paris-1595709.jpg

4TXWWZ2Y3NH3FAJWD3Z7JJ3DXM.jpg

22F5CIQJNZFL5NQNCX6JHEDZZU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 12:11 PM, Schlinger said:

the garbage men on strike.

This is due to a nationwide political protest, and while there may be an occasional strike in Paris or elsewhere in France from time to time, this is more atypical and in response to a change in the national pension system. It's similar in scale to the Yellow Vest protests in 2018 (Gilet Jaunes) which were also nationwide.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:11 PM, Schlinger said:

Paris is a rat-infested city,

Bit of an extreme statement, though name a densely populated city (with a trash issue as depicted due to an atypical strike) that doesn't have a vermin problem, and good luck with that. They all do, and they all work hard to combat the problem. Perhaps more should let cats roam around as in Istanbul, and I think some cities have tried this, but it seems impossible to keep up with the problem, for any number of real reasons. 

Being from a major city, I almost never notice, but I get how it can be disarming for many people. When I do notice, it's not wonderful, but they don't get in my way (it's usually only on train tracks, or they're squashed dead somewhere in the street) as they don't seem to want to be around people anyway.

It doesn't detract from ALL of the other great things about one particular city, in this case, Paris, which is generally so worth visiting, but, as is often discussed here on this board, not often recommended as a day trip. If it's the only time one thinks they'll ever be in France, then we can understand and by all means, do it. 

Or watch the truly fun and inspirational animated film Ratatouille to get a whimsical perspective of Parisian rats. Anyone can cook

Cheers 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I am In the same boat!! on a cruise London to Barcelona (so your reverse)

I've been to Paris before but my kids have not. They are going to be 15 and 13 at time of sailing and I also am concerned its going to be a long drive just to see the Eiffel tower. However, I don't know when we will ever be back again (coming from Australia) its far away lol

It has been a tough decision and we finally decided that we will suck it up for the kids and pay the over priced shore ex just so we don't miss the boat. 

I actually went to Paris it was miserable and wet the entire time, torrential rain, and I still thought it was so beautiful rats and all 😆 

Hope that helps!

6 hours ago, Ajnp said:

I am In the same boat!! on a cruise London to Barcelona (so your reverse)

I've been to Paris before but my kids have not. They are going to be 15 and 13 at time of sailing and I also am concerned its going to be a long drive just to see the Eiffel tower. However, I don't know when we will ever be back again (coming from Australia) its far away lol

It has been a tough decision and we finally decided that we will suck it up for the kids and pay the over priced shore ex just so we don't miss the boat. 

I actually went to Paris it was miserable and wet the entire time, torrential rain, and I still thought it was so beautiful rats and all 😆 

Hope that helps!

If you have a few days tagged on ahead of your cruise, consider Paris from London by Eurostar train. 

From central London's St Pancras International to central Paris's Gare du Nord is about 2hrs 20 minutes - not a lot different to Hank's drive from Le Havre 🙂

Some folk have done it as a day-trip, but at least one overnight in Paris would be much more rewarding and relaxing.

Tolerably-early bookings are from as little as £40 one-way.

https://www.eurostar.com/

Or if you've had your fill of the UK (or are spending time here post-cruise), consider flying into Paris instead of London, spend time there and join the ship in Le Havre.

Plenty of folk do that the opposite way round - ie  leave the ship in Le Havre when it's the last port-of-call before Southampton, - you'd need to check with the cruise line whether you can join the ship in Le Havre.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We do take exception to the negative characterization of Paris.  Having been to over 130 countries, we still consider Paris among our top 10 places in the world (DW rates it #1).  But we are not fans of the one day trek from Le Havre, because of the distance.  Having spent months in Paris, we would happily return for additional weeks.

The recent unrest in France (not just Paris) is a transient issue and this too shall pass.  I still smile at DW’s hairdresser who once said he did not like Paris “because it’s old!”  We had dinner, last evening, with a delightful gentleman who said about Paris, “whenever I walk around that city it makes me smile.”   With that we agree.

Hank

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, John Bull said:

If you have a few days tagged on ahead of your cruise, consider Paris from London by Eurostar train. 

From central London's St Pancras International to central Paris's Gare du Nord is about 2hrs 20 minutes - not a lot different to Hank's drive from Le Havre 🙂

Some folk have done it as a day-trip, but at least one overnight in Paris would be much more rewarding and relaxing.

Tolerably-early bookings are from as little as £40 one-way.

https://www.eurostar.com/

Or if you've had your fill of the UK (or are spending time here post-cruise), consider flying into Paris instead of London, spend time there and join the ship in Le Havre.

Plenty of folk do that the opposite way round - ie  leave the ship in Le Havre when it's the last port-of-call before Southampton, - you'd need to check with the cruise line whether you can join the ship in Le Havre.

JB 🙂

Thank you so much for the advice. Atm we are waiting on a few other "things" that will determine our movements in the UK pre cruise,  (dates of football games). It is approx the same price via rail and the shore ex. However the limited time on the shore excursion is playing on my mind.  I have thought about it alot of the past few weeks and I think I am willing to give up one of my days in the UK (reluctantly) to do the visit to Paris via Eurostar and spend a good FULL day not just 2 hours in the city. (although that is still not enough I know). But this option also frees up the shore ex to do D Day landing etc and my husband would love to do that.

Edited by Ajnp
  • Like 2

I am glad for you that you are finding a solution that includes getting the kids to the wonderful city of Paris.   Rome just about beats Paris for my favorite city, but it is close.  I have had a few good holidays in Paris including three weeks as a 16 yr old on a pupil exchange.    

I was interested that you had 14 hours on your port stop so would have assumed a longer day there.  Maybe the tour times are not extended to take this into account.  .  I recall the first family visit a tour from Disneyland Paris (I sort of did not realize we could get there on our own 🤦‍♀️.  It was frustrating for the girls being driven around and not being able to get out and explore.  If you go for a Eurostar day you can get a good day and manage it yourself. 

I have the d day landing beaches on my bucket list so great if you can get there too. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:59 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I am glad for you that you are finding a solution that includes getting the kids to the wonderful city of Paris.   Rome just about beats Paris for my favorite city, but it is close.  I have had a few good holidays in Paris including three weeks as a 16 yr old on a pupil exchange.    

I was interested that you had 14 hours on your port stop so would have assumed a longer day there.  Maybe the tour times are not extended to take this into account.  .  I recall the first family visit a tour from Disneyland Paris (I sort of did not realize we could get there on our own 🤦‍♀️.  It was frustrating for the girls being driven around and not being able to get out and explore.  If you go for a Eurostar day you can get a good day and manage it yourself. 

I have the d day landing beaches on my bucket list so great if you can get there too. 

That’s what I originally thought!!! Boat docks 7-9pm however The shore ex is approximately 9 hours

6 hours of that is “travel” they allow for delays and traffic etc. at most it’s 3 hours in the city Paris and it’s just not the same as arriving 9 am on a train and spending a whole day and  departing late evening. You would have time for sight seeing a museum tour and even a dinner? Compared with the 3 hour shore excursion 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welp, we didn't end up going to either because the port was canceled due to a port strike. We went to Amsterdam instead.  It was fun, though.  Walked around Amsterdam, went to a village in Holland and to a cheese making and wooden shoe making place.