THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE YACHT CLUB

morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Because the world extends extensively west, east, north and south of the USofA we do not routinely sail from a US port and have never done so on an MSC ship. Our most recent was from NYC on Oceanias' Insignia.

Is that relevant, as only a small minority of MSC ships sail from US ports?

I find it relevant because of my own personal experience with this.
Our MSC European cruise was very different from our 2 MSC US  departures. All 3 on the same ship. 

In Europe the ships are constantly loading and unloading passengers at every port…some have correctly called it a “ferry cruise ship”

That doesn’t happen on the cruises that depart from the US. So if you are unlucky as we were in January, and you have a few thousand less than stellar fellow passengers, that means you and the crew are stuck with them for 7-10 days until they get off. 

Also there is a very different passenger demographic on US departures especially from Miami, which negatively impacted us and the crew.

I can understand why the crew may not want to “engage” with some of the passengers on a negative level, ie enforcing company policies. 

• Thanks 1

I have never found this to be the case in any of my YC trips and will keep an eye out for it later this month.  I would be very vocal if I found this to be true.  I would keep pointing it out until people listened.  People pay for this exclusivity and I expect that the rules would be enforced.  To be honest, if the YC director wouldn't enforce it then I would go above him.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, styles27 said:

It’s not easy to get into the YC you need a key card/bracelet to even access that area. 
I’m sure some people try to sneak in behind YC pax who swipe their key and hold the door for pax behind them. 

It never occurred to us when we were in the YC that folks we were holding the door for may not belong there. I guess I think everyone is as honest as we are. 

It appears that some crew members are getting their visiting family access to the YC. 

If I am going to use my YC card to get in and there is someone close behind me I think I would say something like, "Oh go ahead, I forgot I had to meet someone", and walk away without opening the door.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If I am going to use my YC card to get in and there is someone close behind me I think I would say something like, "Oh go ahead, I forgot I had to meet someone", and walk away without opening the door.

Great advice! 
I need to stop thinking that everyone’s intentions are honorable 🤦🏻‍♀️

18 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Sorry but if visiting family of crew members that are sailing want to visit the Yacht Club, then they should pay for the Yacht club.  If visiting for the day, tough crap.  

I disagree.  The crew work very hard long days and if one benefit is that a family member is allowed to use the Yacht Club I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it is probably up to the discretion of the Hotel Director.  I do agree that Yacht Club families sneaking others into the Yacht Club is entirely wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I disagree.  The crew work very hard long days and if one benefit is that a family member is allowed to use the Yacht Club I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it is probably up to the discretion of the Hotel Director.  I do agree that Yacht Club families sneaking others into the Yacht Club is entirely wrong.

.. just for my understanding ..

Are you promoting “Bring your family to work” vacations in Yacht Club for families of crew members ?

If this would be case .. I would never book another cruise in Yacht Club.

Some passengers need to work very hard and/or save money to afford sailing in Yacht Club.

I am spending this kind of $$$$ not easily and expect the exclusivity promised by MSC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I don't know enough of the who or how family members are allowed.  If they are paying customers, then MSC may allow them a special rate.  If it's an onboard officer whose family is enjoying, then no, I do have an issue.  The Seascape is a big ship.  There can be other venues to be used to reward other than the suite area.  I would understand a port day.  But not a sea day or a gala night.  

1 hour ago, Paphillyguy said:

if the YC director wouldn't enforce it then I would go above him. 

The YC Directors'  hands are tied.  It is those above him that are doling out the largesse of the YC access to their friends and family.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

53 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

since it is probably up to the discretion of the Hotel Director. 

27 minutes ago, jean87510 said:
53 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I don't know enough of the who or how family members are allowed.

If we all knew the real break down, we all would be more upset. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Just grin and bear it. I am sure they are all very nice people taking up your paid for vacation spaces. Sorry OP and their friends staying in the YC did not get to have lunch at the seafood extravaganza because it was so crowded. Have read reports of some having 3 or 4 lobster tails. Guess they didn't mind standing in line 3 or 4 times (when its free).

48 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

f this would be case .. I would never book another cruise in Yacht Club.

Some passengers need to work very hard and/or save money to afford sailing in Yacht Club.

I am spending this kind of $$$$ not easily and expect the exclusivity promised by MSC

Try not to to be so harsh on MSC. The corporate must not know what is going on. Give them the benefit of the doubt. I know what is going on and still have booked more Yacht Club cruises on the Seascape (almost exclusively, except for Spring Break on HAL and Christmas/New Years on MSC Explora)>After that it is back to Seascape in the YC. It is still the great product we have come to love and your butler is even more an asset who doesn't pay any attention to those 'deadbeats'.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The YC Directors'  hands are tied.  It is those above him that are doling out the largesse of the YC access to their friends and family.

This I understand but I still would let them know of my disagreement.  I mainly was talking about the friends and family of Other Guests not in the YC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I had some people try to get me to let them in recently on the Meraviglia…I told them I forgot something at the main pool.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, phissy said:

Second time-
I Politely asked them to leave and received a litany of foul language.

REALLY?  
I guess they thought they would double down and get me to back off.  YC Director, Mr. Robbie was happy to deal with them. Turns out they were not even YC guests.

However, lots of cash changing hands for reserving areas with shade.
Once, I was asked to move as they had “reserved” this area for after lunch.🙄

YC Director for that cruise could have cared less.

This post backs up my suspicions that these 'guests' cannot possibly be 'real' friends or family of officers on the ship. To act and speak in such a manner is unbecoming of the family and friends of an officer and a gentleman. Interesting observation in bold type.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I had some people try to get me to let them in recently on the Meraviglia…I told them I forgot something at the main pool.  

Personally, I would have NO problem with replying, "Sure, I'll let you into the YC.  Just as soon as you show me your key card or wrist band."

Granted, that would only limit "pure" interlopers trying to piggyback through the door, not those that have been loaned cars/bands from other paying YC passengers...

On 3/1/2023 at 3:23 PM, Pat said:

I'm not opposed to others using the YC as long as they are paying for the extra amenities.......like are they getting free drinks because they are in the YC, are they not showing their card? 

Most of us are probably opposed for anyone being able to access the Yacht Club other than YC guests. Not fair to book a Bella experience and for a few bucks more gain entry into the "exclusive" areas. In the YC no one needs to show their cards and they are not asked.  The YC restaurant hostess just asks us our cabin numbers and checks us off her list. No carding in the Top Sail Lounge/ bar by butlers or bartenders.

28 minutes ago, Av8tor said:
1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Personally, I would have NO problem with replying, "Sure, I'll let you into the YC.  Just as soon as you show me your key card or wrist band."

I must of missed that in Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".