Confusion about booking pricing with Kids Sail Free.

Hi,

I tried to book a cruise for Oct 2023 through RC web site.  When I put just me and my wife it comes to about $2,124 CAD which is $1062/person after all the savings.  However, when I included my 2 years old son the total goes up to $3,967 CAD which is $1322/person for the exact same booking.  Another way of looking at this is my 2 years old cruise fee is essentially $1843 CAD

I attached the pricing details here, as you can see it really confuses me.  As if RC is saying we'll give your kid sailing free but we jack up your price way up to offset that saving.  

Any idea if these are the proper pricing or am I missing certain things here?

cost_of_2.JPG

cost_of_3.JPG

It’s not the same.  One is a guarantee cabin(probably cheaper) and the other you picked your cabin. You can’t compare two different categories like that.   Try booking the exact same category for both.  

The interior guarantee cabin can only hold two guests.  You can't put a 3rd in that cabin regardless of age or size.

The 2nd mock booking is for a cabin that hold three guests.   That's a different category of cabin so while both are interior it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.  

Cabins that hold only 2 guests are plentiful and because there are more available they are cheaper.  Supply and demand.

There are fewer cabins that hold more than two guests so they are more in demand and they fetch a higher rate.

Also guarantee cabins are almost always less than picking your own cabin.  

Try pricing 3 adults vs. 2 adults and 1 kid.  Pick the same cabin # for both mock bookings.  Only then is it an apples-to-apples comparison.  Then you should see the effect of KSF if it is offered on that sailing.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Try pricing 3 adults vs. 2 adults and 1 kid.  Pick the same cabin # for both mock bookings.  Only then is it an apples-to-apples comparison.  Then you should see the effect of KSF if it is offered on that sailing.  

This.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Divide by 1.35 for a pretty close conversion. 

Don’t you multiply by that to get the price in US dollars?  

That’s like $2800 US for two people in an interior guarantee room (in Oct).  Seems insanely high?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Don’t you multiply by that to get the price in US dollars?  

That’s like $2800 US for two people in an interior guarantee room (in Oct).  Seems insanely high?  

Nope, Our dollar is weaker than the usd.  A Canadian $ is about 74 cents us,

Their fare of $2124 is like $1573 usd  for the int gty

image.thumb.png.09d329558e1add40cb41eb2bcd17359c.png

image.thumb.png.0ebbf95beed4276b16a0b12d39b1ba77.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Growing up, also working Retail and Restaurants in USA on Canadian Border, or when deciding when purchasing items in USA or Canada, always had to know the Conversion Rate of that Day. Bank back then would provide Rate to me/us when was there with Daily Deposit. Was few yrs then when it jumped a lot. We had no computers and lucky if even had calculator. First job used a non-electric adding machine and a non-electric cash register. Good old days, paper and pencil math to even figure sales Tax and add to total purchase

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

image.thumb.png.09d329558e1add40cb41eb2bcd17359c.png

image.thumb.png.0ebbf95beed4276b16a0b12d39b1ba77.png

Maybe I did flip the math on that.  But the Canadian dollar is weaker than the US dollar.  If you convert a solar to pounds you get about 82 cents.  If you convert to CAD you get 1.36.   The pound is stronger than the dollar and the CAD is weaker?  It cost Canadians more in their currency to buy the the same thing.  That means it their currency is weaker.  

25 minutes ago, topnole said:

Maybe I did flip the math on that.  But the Canadian dollar is weaker than the US dollar.  If you convert a solar to pounds you get about 82 cents.  If you convert to CAD you get 1.36.   The pound is stronger than the dollar and the CAD is weaker?  It cost Canadians more in their currency to buy the the same thing.  That means it their currency is weaker.  

Yes the Canadian currency is weaker than the pound and the USD which is exactly what I said and why you if you have Canadian prices you have to divide by 1.35  to get the the price that it would be in USD.  I don't know what the exchange rate is in pounds or why that was even brought up

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes the Canadian currency is weaker than the pound and the USD which is exactly what I said and why you if you have Canadian prices you have to divide by 1.35  to get the the price that it would be in USD.  I don't know what the exchange rate is in pounds or why that was even brought up

I didn’t realize you were Canadian.   I thought when you said “our” you meant the us $ is weaker and I thought it hat have I missed lately.  I was just using an example of a currency we all know is stronger than the US $ as an example.  But turns out we were both saying the same thing.  

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

I didn’t realize you were Canadian.   I thought when you said “our” you meant the us $ is weaker and I thought it hat have I missed lately.  I was just using an example of a currency we all know is stronger than the US $ as an example.  But turns out we were both saying the same thing.  

Gotcha!

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can see now why our taxi driver in Vancouver was so happy.  I just paid in US dollars and still a small tip and did no conversion.  Cost was 9 dollars Canadian, I gave him $12 for a trip going from Pan Pacific to Granville Island.  Did the same for a return trip. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I can see now why our taxi driver in Vancouver was so happy.  I just paid in US dollars and still a small tip and did no conversion.  Cost was 9 dollars Canadian, I gave him $12 for a trip going from Pan Pacific to Granville Island.  Did the same for a return trip. 

You definitely made his day.