Sapphire dry dock next month?

CruiseMark

According to Cruisemapper, Sapphire Princess is scheduled for dry dock next month (April 10 - May 1]. Does anyone know what will be done in dry dock?  Is it just general maintenance or will any new features be added?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

According to Cruisemapper

This is an outdated info from 2021.

There are no voyages between April 12 and April 29, 2023.
Voyage H308N ends in Vancouver, BC on April 12,
Voyage H310N starts in Vancouver, BC April 29.

So most likely, dry dock will be in Victoria, BC. Although Portland, OR would be possible, too.

The last scheduled dry dock was from December 31, 2020 to January 17, 2021 in Portland OR.
As the two years are over, it looks this will be just a routine dry dock with the usual refurbishments.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EDVM96 said:

sapphireprincessdrydock.jpg.webp
The Sapphire was at Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore instead of Portland in January 2021.

Source: https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2021/01/trio-of-cruise-ships-drydocks-to-start-2021/

Thank you!

I somehow thought they did deferred maintenance in order to save money. I stand corrected.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

The Sapphire had a major dry dock in spring of 2018. I wonder if it really went through dry dock during COVID.

If it did I would ask for a refund from whoever did it. Lots of issues when we sailed in Oct. but the crew and supervisor for our cabin section were wonderful. We would book this ship again in a heartbeat, and plan to next year if they are still going to Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:35 PM, Mingus said:

Hopefully it will be completed before May 1st.....we're embarking on April 29th.

I agree.  I'm on the same cruise.  That cruise was originally supposed to begin on May 2nd and only be 7 days.  Then they switched it to what it is now.  At least with it being right out of dry dock, they should have the cabins ready early.

1 minute ago, marlenecook said:

Does anyone know if the drydock coincides with new crew contracts?  I.e. will we have lots of new crew members on this sailing? 

No, lots of current crew members are on into the late summer.  The crew has to take care of 1,000+ maintenance/construction workers that will be living onboard during the drydock.

• 3 weeks later...

My Daughter is a member of Crew on the Sapphire Princess - she told me around 1 Month in Dry Dock, Portland Oregon after arrival in Vancouver BC on 12th April. Not sure the full extent of refurbishment but an upgrade to the main Theatre is one of the them. She joined the ship in March and will be with it until end of her contract in September 2023. In her case the previous Crew she was replacing left the Ship in Santiago Chile on 19th March. 

I'm not sure whether any new Crew will be on the ship as Contracts etc run across differing dates for various Crew i.e. Entertainers, Engineering, Chef/Cook, Cleaners etc

Edited by Parkender101
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 2:25 PM, marlenecook said:

Does anyone know if the drydock coincides with new crew contracts?  I.e. will we have lots of new crew members on this sailing? 

Often when the ship changes areas (such as going to Alaska) a lot of the shorter contract employees/officers change such as Captain, CD, Hotel Manager etc.... Most of the wait staff and stewards have longer contracts and they is always a certain percentage of individuals always rotating out at certain points.

During dry dock - a lot of the crew have different jobs. For example - if there is welding being done on the ship, a crew member maybe right next to the welder with a fire extinguisher, etc... Or if they are updating carpet in the rooms or remodeling the rooms, they are opening doors for them, etc...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Has anyone been able to determine definitively what will be involved in the dry dock?

The Guest Services Director told us they will be changing carpets, changing a lot of cabin bathroom doors, painting the hull, and general maintenance.  He said no changes to venues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, DarleneSC said:

I'm on May 24th. I see you must be on the 11 night Alaska. I see Sapphire is doing a 8 day starting May 2nd.  I'd call them.

Princess originally had an 8 day Alaskan cruise departing on May 2nd.  But in February 2022, they changed it to an 11 day departing on April 29th.  I was booked on the original one and rebooked for the current.  

• 3 weeks later...