Beware of this restaurant in Mykonos. It’s a scam.

Thisguylikestocruise

10 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

DK Oysters. They charge 600€ and threaten customers if they refuse to pay. Never eat anywhere that doesn’t provide a menu or prices when you sit down there.

It is a long time problem (we have posted several times in the past).  The good news is that apparently the authorities finally got tired of all the complaints and slapped that restaurant with a big fine said to be over 30,000 Euros.  I assume they will quickly try to recoup that fine by ripping off even more tourists.   We do like the adjacent beach and there are plenty of decent (and honest) restaurants/cafes at Playa Gialas.   Here is a link to a related story:

DK Oyster Of Mykonos Fined Over €30,000 After Ripping Off American Tourists (greekcitytimes.com)

Hank

I wonder if the local police would actually take customers to jail for refusing to pay the outrageous bills. People leaving reviews on Google maps have been charged up to $2,000 and are brought food & drinks they never asked for. The restaurant needs to be shutdown. 

https://nypost.com/2023/02/08/furious-couple-stuck-with-860-bill-at-notorious-greek-restaurant/

Restaurants in great locations can be a trap. I’ve witnessed it in Miami Beach. Also, around popular attractions like the Eiffel tower. They look good from the outside and later you regret it because the food, service, and prices were awful, and their goal is to gouge tourists. The best restaurants are often the ones locals dine at, off the beaten path, and they display menus with prices.

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

7 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I wonder if the local police would actually take customers to jail for refusing to pay the outrageous bills. People leaving reviews on Google maps have been charged up to $2,000 and are brought food & drinks they never asked for. The restaurant needs to be shutdown. 

https://nypost.com/2023/02/08/furious-couple-stuck-with-860-bill-at-notorious-greek-restaurant/

Restaurants in great locations can be a trap. I’ve witnessed it in Miami Beach. Also, around popular attractions like the Eiffel tower. They look good from the outside and later you regret it because the food, service, and prices were awful, and their goal is to gouge tourists. The best restaurants are often the ones locals dine at, off the beaten path, and they display menus with prices.

That is not quite the way it seems to work.  Some of the waiters in that restaurant look more like mob muscle than waiters.  Over the years there have been numerous social media posts where folks said they were too intimidated not to pay.  And it is very unlikely that you will ever see the police around the time you are presented with a check.

Hank