HOW MANY FORMAL NIGHTS?

Boiler Cruiser

9 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My DW and I are on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii shortly. 

I can't remember how many formal nights there typically are on a 15 day cruise.  Is 2?  Is it 3?

Thanks.

Look here:  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

You also must be aware if your voyage is actually comprised or 2 or more shorter voyages because the number of formal nights is based on those separate voyages and not the overall. 

IOW, a B2B of 14-nights no matter how it is booked has 4 formal/dress-to-impress nights.

Edited by Steelers36

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Look here:  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

You also must be aware if your voyage is actually comprised or 2 or more shorter voyages because the number of formal nights is based on those separate voyages and not the overall. 

IOW, a B2B of 14-nights no matter how it is booked has 4 formal/dress-to-impress nights.

Is there a way of knowing which days are formal nights?  BTW, our cruise is 15 days round trip out of San Francisco.

11 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Is there a way of knowing which days are formal nights?  BTW, our cruise is 15 days round trip out of San Francisco.

Post ship and date so I can look at the itinerary.  Some general rules:

1. Never on first or last nights.

2. For sure on night 2 if day 2 is a Sea Day.

3. Generally, on Sea Days if possible.  Otherwise, port days with an early departure.

28 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My DW and I are on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii shortly. 

I can't remember how many formal nights there typically are on a 15 day cruise.  Is 2?  Is it 3?

Thanks.

In my Travel Summary under the Itinerary section (at the bottom of the section) it indicates the number of formal nights.  For my cruise, 14 nights, I see that there will be 4 formal nights

Your travel summary will show the number of formal nights. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights in the Journey View activities timeline in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

There's also the little known "neither" category. On ournrecent 15-day Panama Canal cruise, there were 3 formal nights and one smart casual night that was also "White and Gold" night, amd the Patter said "Dress to Impress." So, dress to impress while going smart casual. Setting aside the question of "dress to impress" whom (this from a guy who enjoys formal nights), the result was a complete hash.  Note to the file: white pants and a white polo leave you looking like a swimming official. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, travelin.sisters said:

15 day Hawai'i from LA has 3...often days 4, 10 & 13 but that can vary & may not be the same for SF sailings...once the journey view is available, look for Formal Photos on the schedule & those night should be formal dinners

I'm on the Royal Princess out of San Francisco.  Are the formal nights on the same days?

56 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

I'm on the Royal Princess out of San Francisco.  Are the formal nights on the same days?

Perhaps Look to Journey View on the App and search for formal photography portraits which means formal night😉

2 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

How do formal nights work? Is it just for the main dining room? Would children still be allowed to dine in the MDRs on formal nights? Our Alaska cruise has 2.

Thanks!

Of course kid are allowed in the DR.

Recently Princess is more lenient about dressing on formal evenings although many still like to dress up , even in Alaska. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, that said:

Perhaps Look to Journey View on the App and search for formal photography portraits which means formal night😉

I checked the Journey View on my Medallion app.  I found no formal photography portraits or any other reference to formal nights.

4 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

I checked the Journey View on my Medallion app.  I found no formal photography portraits or any other reference to formal nights.

Sorry to hear that.  The Journey View has been our go-to source in the past.