Dis Embark Venice Fusina - Land Taxi

Billy Butlin

Hi. My cruise ends in Fusina and I'm trying to arrange a land taxi into Mestre.

One company is telling me that no cars are allowed at Fusina and we will be bussed to the Marittima terminal, does anybody know if that is correct.

Also any recommendations for a reliable land taxi company I can re confirm with

Thanks

They offer parking at the Fusina ferry terminal, so unless they are referring to a different Fusina cars can drive there.

Edited to add:

I did a little more research, it is adjacent to the ferry area but not the same.  In the picture here you can see that it's part of the container area and private vehicles may not be allowed there (although nothing is said about it, on either the English or Italian language pages):  Fusina Terminal – Commissario Crociere Venezia

Edited by euro cruiser

Last year Viking used  this terminal. This year Seabourn and a couple others are using it. We sail from there in May. You cannot freely embark nor disembark from where the ships dock in Fusina. They will bus you to wherever that cruise line does, such as Maritima,  or the Airport for example. We have been informed that we will meet at the cruise terminal in Venice that was used prior to the changes, and then be transferred to the ship. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 5:42 AM, Billy Butlin said:

Thanks all. I am going to call Azamara and ask.

Hi Billy,

I know  it's been a few months since you asked about debarkation at Fusina, but it's my hope. you found the answer. 

We are scheduled to debark at Fusina on August 22 with a fairly early return flight (11:00 AM).  I called Azamara to inquire about the debarkation process at that port but the rep did not know.  He could only guess about the availability of taxis.  Not very helpful.

Have you already sailed, and if so what was your experience?  Or if you haven't sailed yet, what have you learned?

Thank you very much.

Bob

We just sailed on Seabourn RT Fusina. The port controls the logistics. No options unfortunately. So for disembarking, you will need to catch a bus from your cruise line. Unfortunately Fusina is on the mainland, but the bus will be required to drive across the causeway to the old Venice Cruise terminal. We did not see any cabs when we disembarked (they were likely outside of the terminal entrance) so we jumped on a different Seabourn bus, back across same causeway to the airport. We then caught a cab to the hotel we had to stay at until an early flight the next day. I would recommend you see if your cruise line is offering transfers to the Airport so you do not have to worry about finding a cab if time is of the essence. 

Vineyard View,

Thank you very much for the information.  That's very helpful. The cruise line does have a transfer to the airport, but nobody there could tell me when they start and if they go straight to the airport. 

To be safe I think I'm going to switch to a later flight or wait until the following day.

Bob

You are welcome. 

The cruise line not having airport transportation has me scratching my head. The old terminal is a bit of a distance from anything really. I cannot imagine that they would not have options for passengers as I do not know where and what all the passengers are supposed to do. There really are no services there. It’s all closed up for the most part. We originally were going to put our bags in a storage locker and go to Venice directly for the day, then to the hotel later, but when we got off the bus there were no lockers available that we could find, and no one really knew so we took the safe bet and headed to the airport. 
It’s a pain, but probably/surely better than being 1 1/2-3 hrs away from Venice as some ships are docking. 
Maybe the question for the cruise line is ‘how do we get to the airport from the Old Cruise Terminal after we disembark. I don’t think that customer service fully understands the situation. We sure didn’t. Hopefully this helps. Have a great trip! 

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Maybe the question for the cruise line is ‘how do we get to the airport from the Old Cruise Terminal after we disembark.

If you're referring to the Marittima Port in Venice where cruise ships previously docked, it's not very difficult to get to the airport. You take the People Mover (the overhead tram) from the port to Piazzale Roma, where you can either take one of the two express airport buses (frequent departures; at least every 20 minutes if not more often between the two lines), or you can take the Alilaguna boat service. 

I've done it both ways. The bus is easier, faster, and cheaper, and lets you off closer to the building than the Alilaguna service.

Hi RBPatt

We disembarked at Fusina with Azamara last week and process is as follows.

Anybody who had flights before 10.45am and have booked land transport with Azamara disembark first and are shuttled straight from Fusina to Marco Polo Airport.

Everybody else, including those who have booked land transport with Azamara for later flights, are bussed to Marritima Port where they collect their luggage. Those with Azamara land transport collect their luggage and I assume then get bussed to the airport. Those with independent travel collect their luggage at Marritima Port and have the option of taxi, water taxi, people mover etc based on plans.

Embarkation from the ship starts around 7.45 to 8.00 and I takes around 30 mins to get to Marritima.

So in effect you are physically disembarking at Marritima although the ship itself docks in Fusina

If your flight is 11am I would try and arrange land transport with Azamara (assume you can use any OBC if you have it) or I would arrange for a taxi to collect me from Marritima and ask the ship for an early deprture

Hope this helps

Regards

• Like 1

I remember now hearing someone in guest services talking about a “special” process being done for those with early flights. She must have been referring to the same you just described. Great information Billy for others. 

And yes it is the old Maritima Cruise terminal so that  transport information is helpful as well cruisemom. It was just so different from the way it used to be - not a person in sight other that those few working there and us passengers. I will say again though that there were not water taxis waiting. Quite a few passengers from the cruise were, so hopefully it was easy for them as that is a great way to get into the heart of the city. It was the best way for us to arrive at the terminal for our departure as we were staying on the Lagoon area and getting to Palazzo with luggage would have been time consuming and a bit more difficult. 

Billy / Vineyard View,

Thank you very much for the information.  That's very helpful and very timely.  I was about to change our flights when I saw your post.  Good thing I didn't.    Instead I purchased the Port to Airport transfer and will arrange to disembark early to go straight to the airport.

Also, I have a copy of a letter that someone on a September cruise received from Azamara last month about the Fusina process.  That one says they will bus passengers with flights before 11:30 directly to the airport.  So far we haven't received anything from Azamara.

If anyone wants to see that letter I'll be happy to post it here.

Bob

• 8 months later...