POA Haleakala bus excursion

morrowz

We did this in a rental car. I thought I saw small  vans taking people up there.There are so many hairpin turns that I would be shocked if they drove giant busses up there But it might be a possibility..Also remember the altitude is slightly over 10,000 feet. I was a little dizzy and out of breath.

23 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I would be shocked if they drove giant busses up there

It was years ago, but they used one of those "giant busses."  It was compounded not only by the twists and turns but the many bicyclists who were risking their lives on that road.

2 hours ago, KatHaven said:

It was years ago, but they used one of those "giant busses."  It was compounded not only by the twists and turns but the many bicyclists who were risking their lives on that road.

Wow I am shocked. I only saw mini busses.

From one car-sick person to another, I would rent a car and drive it.  I'm not sure about now, but when we went, there were 2 rental car locations less than a mile from the port.  There is no way I would want to do that road on a bus of any type.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:33 PM, morrowz said:

Ha anyone done this sunset bus tour ? Is it a big 50 seater bus or a smaller bus? I do get motion sick ,but am going to take phenergan and hope to be ok .any opinions please 

We have been to Hawai'i twice.  The first time we rented a car and drove to the top just before noon.  When we were on the PoA, though, we took a bus tour at sunset.  Our bus pulled into the parking lot at the top with a half-dozen other 45 to 50 passenger buses.  The traffic each time was heavy, but the buses had no trouble getting around.  It does get cold up there, though.  A ski jacket, gloves, and a warm hat are really needed.  We actually saw a few folks in beach wear, shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, in freezing temperatures and wind chills in the teens.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a small bus/large van to the top for sunrise and rode bikes down. I wasn't feeling well so only rode about halfway down on the bike and the rest of the way in the van. It was not as scary as I thought it would be. Riding on a bus or van is no problem. I enjoyed the views once the sun came up. It was nice to see, but I feel that going there later in the morning would be enjoyable as well. It was cold just standing there waiting for sunrise before riding down. 

OP you will be fine, especially with your medicine. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, morrowz said:

Thankyou ,the cruise line quotes 1hr 10 min drive up ,so are you saying it is longer than that,YVRteacher?

If the excursion is going to the top, it is one to two hours drive up from Kahului.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, The Traveling Man said:

It does get cold up there, though.  A ski jacket, gloves, and a warm hat are really needed.  We actually saw a few folks in beach wear, shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, in freezing temperatures and wind chills in the teens.

This. I have camped at 10,000 feet in the snow on many occasions, but have never been so cold as I was on a overnighter at 7,000 feet on Haleakala. And I was prepared, with winter gear.

Sunrises are variable; the one constant is the crowd. But I never saw a less than spectacular sunset, and at least once I was all alone. YMMV.

• Like 1

Sun Rise at the Haleakala summit can be just as amazing and perhaps more so - the morning

weather generally being more clear and fewer clouds.

AND CERTAINLY "YES"  the temperature is best tolerated mid-day in bright sun light.

Definitely wear some warming clothes and/or have a place to seek brief shelter to warm up.

10K altitude is going to be semi-breathless which may lead to spells of dizziness if one

tries to move about in an athletic manner.

The organized cruise tours are probably suited best for the sundown show rather than the

early morning trek (i.e. getting up 3 am).

With two port days on Maui a half day spent at Haleakala is time well spent (IMO) !