Random St. Marten jewelry question

edgar72

First and foremost do your homework. Price items before you go shopping so you have a ballpark what items are worth . Second you are not paying sales tax. That is a savings! We have been shopping at joes jewelry for years. Always pay with a credit card so you have an out! Then know what you like. I always get item appraised when I get home. Not only for insurance but to ensure you got what you paid for.

• Like 1

Everyone has their favourite jeweler in St Maarten.  Ours is Kay's.  Go see Archie and he will take good care of you.  We stop in when we are in port and have my DW's rings cleaned and tightened for no charge.  Plus we get free beer.

1 hour ago, Mother Mary said:

First and foremost do your homework. Price items before you go shopping so you have a ballpark what items are worth . Second you are not paying sales tax. That is a savings! We have been shopping at joes jewelry for years. Always pay with a credit card so you have an out! Then know what you like. I always get item appraised when I get home. Not only for insurance but to ensure you got what you paid for.

This! I've sold jewelry for 30+ years, and I see some things that are good buys and some that only sound good. Don't believe claims of high % discounts; the only price that matters is the net bottom line. Do your research, and then enjoy your purchase.

Barb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Magicat said:

Everyone has their favourite jeweler in St Maarten.  Ours is Kay's.  Go see Archie and he will take good care of you.  We stop in when we are in port and have my DW's rings cleaned and tightened for no charge.  Plus we get free beer.

I agree...Kay's had the best deal on 18k gold chain necklace. Confirmed the quality and price with my hometown jeweler once home.

• 6 months later...

I got my wedding ring and band there. AMA jewelers.  Appraised at home for 30% more than we paid.  Went back 15 years later and got an anniversary band with diamonds.  Same thing.  Appraised for 25% more than we paid for it.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 3:04 PM, Magicat said:

Is that Kay's the same as Kay's on St Martin?  We were very pleased with them years ago and used to stop there any time in St. Martin.  Haven't been in the Jewelry market for many years so not sure of current status.

• 2 weeks later...