Italy, Adriatic and Greece

jc522

Thank you for the information from your inquiries to Viking. It would appear from the responses you got that Vikings position is we provide one guaranteed shore excursion per port, everything and anything in addition to that single excursion is on a best efforts basis by the ships crew and local/regional Viking support staff. In fairness and understanding, I really have no problems with their position. Tender vessels, dock space and crew manpower are very "fluid" on b2b days. From all we have learned so far we have decided just to take Viking out of the loop for the Athens, Venice and Rome b2b days. The only hole now in our itinerary is getting into Venice the morning of day 2, a b2b day. While it all may work out fine once we get there, and they may provide water transport into Venice, I'm unwilling to leave it to "maybe" "best efforts" etc. After cogitating about it a bit its hard to fault Viking. They ARE providing what was offered. Live and learn. Now we know. I will state finding out the reality was a PR and communication shortcoming on Viking's part, and we will politely let them know at the appropriate time.

1 hour ago, JerryInIL said:

How would you return to the ship in Chioggia if not on the Viking shuttle?  Possibly a group could arrange for a private shuttle?

Water taxi and/or bus.

8 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

They ARE providing what was offered. ...

If you look at "Italy, the Adriatic and Greece" for any future date, it shows 14 excursions on day 2. That is what they advertised before we booked our upcoming cruise. It was only after we booked it that we were informed that there are no excursions on day 2.

7 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

How would you return to the ship in Chioggia if not on the Viking shuttle?  Possibly a group could arrange for a private shuttle?

We bought "Venice On Your Own" for day 3. That gives us a ride back to the ship at the end of day 3. This is our first time in Venice. We have been told by many sources we should try to stay overnight and enjoy a nice waterside dinner and stroll after the tour groups all leave late afternoon, so we got a hotel just off the GC in Santa Croce. If we get up early day 2 we hope to get a taxi, water or land, but most likely land. 50 minutes about 60 euro to the Venice train station. If Viking provides transport, depending on how late in the morning, all the better. While it does involve more cost to do all this, it removes almost 3 hours of tender time that we can spend ashore and give us an evening and morning. Given the bigger cost to get to Venice from the other side of the world, acceptable.

Edited by Vagabond51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

We bought "Venice On Your Own" for day 3. That gives us a ride back to the ship at the end of day 3. This is our first time in Venice. We have been told by many sources we should try to stay overnight and enjoy a nice waterside dinner and stroll after the tour groups all leave late afternoon, so we got a hotel just off the GC in Santa Croce. If we get up early day 2 we hope to get a taxi, water or land, but most likely land. 50 minutes about 60 euro to the Venice train station. If Viking provides transport, depending on how late in the morning, all the better. While it does involve more cost to do all this, it removes almost 3 hours of tender time that we can spend ashore and give us an evening and morning. Given the bigger cost to get to Venice from the other side of the world, acceptable.

Great idea, but are you sure that Viking won't have a problem with one-way trips?

3 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

You do need permission to do this.  For our trip in May we are off the ship for 2 nights.  At first, Viking said no, but our TA persisted and we eventually got permission.

9 hours ago, jc522 said:

If you look at "Italy, the Adriatic and Greece" for any future date, it shows 14 excursions on day 2. That is what they advertised before we booked our upcoming cruise. It was only after we booked it that we were informed that there are no excursions on day 2.

According to online posters on other threads who have done this cruise, there will be pared down excursions available on Day 2 of Venice for those staying on the ship. They won't show up in my viking journey but will be available to book once you are on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CHammond said:

According to online posters on other threads who have done this cruise, there will be pared down excursions available on Day 2 of Venice for those staying on the ship. They won't show up in my viking journey but will be available to book once you are on the ship.

Thanks, but you would think it wouldn't be too difficult for them to let us know in advance so we can buy tickets and make plans.

Just received an email with schedule changes for Day 2 and Day 3. They will be spending more time in Venice but arrival time in Split will be later (with a later leaving time also). Generally very happy with this decision as they added more tours for Venice and one of the tours was what we were hoping for initially. Added bonus, no longer have to get up at the crack of dawn. 

Thats interesting regarding Split. Three weeks ago we got notice Split (and Montenegro) were removed from itinerary. They are stopping in Sibenik twice, going toward Venice and then again leaving Venice. There is an excursion from Sibenik down to Split by bus for the day. They added Rovinj  Croatia going into Split. Good news for you re Venice!

13 hours ago, miami mama said:

Just received an email with schedule changes for Day 2 and Day 3. They will be spending more time in Venice but arrival time in Split will be later (with a later leaving time also). Generally very happy with this decision as they added more tours for Venice and one of the tours was what we were hoping for initially. Added bonus, no longer have to get up at the crack of dawn. 

What are your dates?

Had another chat with Viking today. He said that Venice on Your Own (day 1 for us) though showing sold out now, will open up once we’re on board ~ since it’s included and thus guaranteed. He also said they may not offer any excursions for day 2 as they imagine guests will “explore on their own”. I said if that was the case then transportation to and from Venice should be included. Nope. And finally, you cannot sign up for the same included excursion on day 1 and day 3 ~ we were trying to do that just to get the transportation to and from Venice.

I believe some started this itinerary yesterday, March 10th, if so hopefully someone will let us know what happens on board.

I am on the cruise in Crotone, at present. When we boarded there was a sheet included with the Viking Daily that announced 4 excursions for the second day in Chioggia. They are Scenic Chioggia By Foot (1hr-included), Discovering Verona (9hrs-$189), Venice On Your Own (8hrs-$0), and Murano & Burano (7hrs-$109).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jc522 said:

I am on the cruise in Crotone, at present. When we boarded there was a sheet included with the Viking Daily that announced 4 excursions for the second day in Chioggia. They are Scenic Chioggia By Foot (1hr-included), Discovering Verona (9hrs-$189), Venice On Your Own (8hrs-$0), and Murano & Burano (7hrs-$109).

Thank you!  We will be doing this exact cruise in a year.  

Does the Venice on our own include transport to/from Venice?  How much time does it leave on your own in Venice?  You didn't say included for it but was it really $0 ?

Which one, if any, did you pick?

• Like 1

Does the Venice on our own include transport to/from Venice? YES

How much time does it leave on your own in Venice? 8 hours door to door minus 3 hours round trip = 5 hours.

You didn't say included for it but was it really $0 ? That is how they listed it for Day 2.

Which one, if any, did you pick? Day 1 - Venice On Your Own. We will see all we can in 5 hours. Day 2 - Scenic Chioggia and we will stay in town for a while afterwards. Day 3 - St. Marks At A Glance, but we will probably cancel. It doesn't make sense to travel 3 hours for another 2 hours in Venice.

Edited by jc522

6 hours ago, jc522 said:

Thank you for that information...

We'll be in Chioggia for three days / two nights in October and can't decide whether three hours on a bus is worth five hours in Venice.  We've visited Venice many times, and always enjoy our time there.  There's really no other place like Venice.

Chioggia itself appears to be interesting...a mini Venice.  Perhaps we'll just spend our time there.

20 hours ago, jc522 said:

Thank you so much for sharing. This helps a lot! Hope you are having a fabulous cruise!

On 3/7/2023 at 1:42 AM, jc522 said:

We are booked Italy, the Adriatic & Greece (Rome to Athens) for February, 2024.  Its a B2B with turnover in Venice.  Chioggia not Venice is shown as dock location.  Ten excursions are listed for first day with 2 of them in the evening, 14 are listed for second day - some same, some different, and no excursions are listed for third day.  Sail away is 2 pm.  Wondering what reality is.

Also wondering what your weather is like in March.

25 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We are booked Italy, the Adriatic & Greece (Rome to Athens) for February, 2024.  Its a B2B with turnover in Venice.  Chioggia not Venice is shown as dock location.  Ten excursions are listed for first day with 2 of them in the evening, 14 are listed for second day - some same, some different, and no excursions are listed for third day.  Sail away is 2 pm.  Wondering what reality is.

Also wondering what your weather is like in March.

Hi Lorna - think we are on the same ship (Saturn) as you but start the week before in Barcelona & finish in Venice. I’m a little confused as I thought the turnover port was Livorno for Florence as our itinerary says we’re there for 2 days? 😗

1 minute ago, Hobson1754 said:

Hi Lorna - think we are on the same ship (Saturn) as you but start the week before in Barcelona & finish in Venice. I’m a little confused as I thought the turnover port was Livorno for Florence as our itinerary says we’re there for 2 days? 😗

We board Rome (Civitavecchia) on Feb 21 and ship departs that evening.  Looks like the port is almost a 2 hour drive north of Rome.  The Saturn is actually doing 4 one way cruises - Barcelona to Rome, Rome to Venice, Venice to Athens and Athens to Istanbul.  Some people are on leg 1 and 2 (like you) , some are on legs 2 and 3 (like us) etc. There are roll calls established for each segment and we have joined the first 3.  I see leg 1 has 2 days in Florence and the one day in Rome.  Looks like you get to see Florence but not Rome unless Viking sets up special excursions for those staying aboard on turn around day.  We get 3 days in Venice but need to go early and stay late to see Rome and Athens as each of those ports are turn around days.

15 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We board Rome (Civitavecchia) on Feb 21 and ship departs that evening.  Looks like the port is almost a 2 hour drive north of Rome.  The Saturn is actually doing 4 one way cruises - Barcelona to Rome, Rome to Venice, Venice to Athens and Athens to Istanbul.  Some people are on leg 1 and 2 (like you) , some are on legs 2 and 3 (like us) etc. There are roll calls established for each segment and we have joined the first 3.  I see leg 1 has 2 days in Florence and the one day in Rome.  Looks like you get to see Florence but not Rome unless Viking sets up special excursions for those staying aboard on turn around day.  We get 3 days in Venice but need to go early and stay late to see Rome and Athens as each of those ports are turn around days.

Yes that’s what I’m seeing - just seems strange they’re not staying the 2 days in Rome.  You’re right that it’s at least 1 1/2 hours from Civitavecchia (if traffic is good) to Rome but hey ho I guess Viking knows what they’re doing. I would also say that for those already on cruise who decide not to go into Rome there’s not an awful lot to see/do in Civitavecchia. I joined one of roll calls a while ago as it’s only been a few weeks since I realised they were all 1 week cruises B2B2B🤪

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes that’s what I’m seeing - just seems strange they’re not staying the 2 days in Rome.  You’re right that it’s at least 1 1/2 hours from Civitavecchia (if traffic is good) to Rome but hey ho I guess Viking knows what they’re doing. I would also say that for those already on cruise who decide not to go into Rome there’s not an awful lot to see/do in Civitavecchia. I joined one of roll calls a while ago as it’s only been a few weeks since I realised they were all 1 week cruises B2B2B🤪

We did the Barcelona to "Venice" portions last April, and there is an overnight in Livorno. Rome is the turn around day, but not an overnight. Those of us who were continuing on to Venice (which unexpectedly became Ravenna for us instead of the planned on Fusina), we were offered excursions once on board for Rome. The included one was a panoramic Snapshots of Rome (6 hours) with a driving tour and one (?) photo stop, followed by around 90 minutes of free time at St. Peter's Square. They also offered a 10.5 hour Highlights of Rome & the Colosseum and a 10 hour Sistine Chapel & Vatican City. I don't recall the pricing on those optional ones, nor any information about the ease of securing spots on those two tours.

We had been to Rome twice before, so just did the included excursion for a relaxing way to see the sights again. We were there on Easter Saturday, which was an interesting time to be in the Vatican. Of course, there was no time to go inside, but it's still a nice view. We even had time to go to a pizza place nearby that we knew from a prior stay. Honestly, we enjoyed ourselves, but for a first time visit to Rome I would recommend one of the optional excursions.

1 hour ago, Hobson1754 said:

Hi Hobson1754 and Lorna:

We are also doing legs 2 and 3 next February/March (Rome-Venice; Venice-Athens).  We have some familiarity with this Viking Mediterranean segment trips schedules.   Last year we boarded in Rome and went to Barcelona (and then on to San Juan).   

Livorno (Florence)

This was our first port after Rome Livorno.  It is NOT a turnover port, but you stay overnight and have 2 full days.  We did excursions both days.  Day 1 we just did the included tour to Pizza.  We wanted to do Lucca, but it was sold out.  (This was back when you had to do Viking excursions - no independent).  2nd day we did the full day Florence tour.  So you'll have 2 full days. 

Rome

Rome, however, is just a day on Viking's schedule.  When we board in Rome (actually Civitavecchia), we leave that evening.  We met people who went from Venice to Barcelona and they did a full day tour in Rome that day.  We knew that if you board in Rome (ore disembark), the only way to see Rome is to do Viking's extensions or do it yourself.  We did 4 days in Rome on our own ahead of time - and loved it.   We took a car hire service (reasonable price) during the boarding day from Rome to Civitavecchia.  It took 90 minutes with no traffic.  Long ways.  Keep that in mind.

Venice

We also had friends who did the stay onboard in Venice (3 days in Chioggia).  Things are still in such flux that any excursions "listed" in Viking's website may or may not be offered.  Our hope is to do Viking excursions on day 1, perhaps do it yourself on day 2, and walk around Chioggia on the short day 3.  I'm intrigued as someone said Chioggia was really quite a nice place to visit, eat, etc. and not touristy!   Viking may/likely offer some excursions onboard on day for those who are continuing through (while some passengers disembark and others get onboard).  However, my understanding is that hose wouldn't be known or available until once we are on board.  People on this thread have also seemed to confirm this.  That's why we'll stay flexible on day 2.

Hope that helps!  See you onboard next February.

Kent

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1