Non-refundable deposits.

Mingus

I've been looking at cruises for late 2023 and early 2024.....so they're not in the penalty period.

I noticed that in choosing some guaranteed staterooms, the deposit is non-refundable.

Yet, when choosing a guaranteed on another deck or choosing a specific stateroom, the deposit is refundable.

Example:

Royal Princess, Sept. 25, 2023, inside forward cabin.

Deck 16 guaranteed - non-refundable deposit

Deck 14 guaranteed - refundable

Cabin B105 - refundable

Other sailings have similar results.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this something new?

Yes, I wanted to book an interior cabin.  Called my TA.  My choice was a non-refundable deposit (she advises me not to do this every time).  If I went up to another interior level, I could get my refundable credit.  The difference was about $30.  

It's similar to air fare now.  Basic gets you nothing.  Middle seat/no carry on.  But up it a level and you are good. 

Got to get those extra $$$$

• Like 1

My pure unofficial guess from over here in the peanut gallery is that since the cabin on Deck 16is the cheapest cabin fare on the cruise, they're figuring anyone who decides to book their cheapest guaranteed offer is hoping they'll be moved to a better location. Princess is just making sure they're committed to their booking.

BTW the Interior cabin on Deck 14 is more expensive than the Interior cabin on Deck 16.

My TA had told me the cheapest category cabins in the category (cheapest inside, cheapest outside, cheapest balcony, etc....) - that category has several non-refundable deposit rate codes. Be careful!

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Since the re-start, on Royal Class Ships, the interior rooms and some of the balconies on Deck 16 are blocked for the guest entertainers and Princess Theatre cast.  Sometimes, the CD/ACDs get the balconies up there too.  They are segregated from the rest of the crew as a precaution, in case there is an outbreak of something.  Someone can cover the cabin stewards/waiters, etc. job but there really aren't any replacements for the CD/entertainers/musicians. 

On my recent Royal Princess cruise, only the forward and port side balconies on Deck 16 were booked.  After visiting my shipmates in a forward cabin on Deck 16, I noticed the interior rooms' door screens on that deck had no guest names.  BUT, I did catch the musicians and entertainers walking out of the interior cabins on our way to the elevators.  My shipmates said they saw CD and ACDs walk into the balcony cabins on Deck 16 in the evening.  (This is totally by coincidence; we're not creeps, but thought to ask them in passing!)

Maybe Princess is making these rooms non-refundable because you are guaranteed not to get a room in this section.