Is Specialty dining still worth it?

On 3/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, Hammer61 said:

Been pondering this as on the last 3 cruises post the pandemic and we have come away disappointed or feeling the value for money was very poor, in fact we have all but decided it isn’t worth it anymore and will stick to the main dining room and included options and spend our money elsewhere in future.

Aqualina on Azamara and a US$35 up charge was nice but really the main dining room was just as good, Prime C also US$35 was a steak house but nothing to rave about, I actually had a steak just as good at the Patio outside dining area when they had a special with Rib eye steak.

Izumi on RCI at about $50 each, we actually thought this was pretty bad; Sashimi was not fresh and obviously frozen but our own fault on a transpacific how would they get fresh fish! Sushi wasn’t very good either, Wonderland was all hype and a bit of showmanship but not worth the $87 up charge, Chops Grille at $95 up charge was ok but never worth that much extra.

Shell and Bones on P&O was dreadful, we complained and the maître d’ seemed embarrassed and apologized and said he wouldn’t be charging us, the “famous” seafood extravaganza for 2 was a joke, a few calamari rings, some shriveled up octopus, some kind of very dry fish and battered prawns and the big prawn sized lobster with next to no meat was laughable, poor old maître d’ had a rough night as we were not the only ones complaining!.

Everything has gone up, but as long as the quality is maintained, we usually like to have a specialty restaurant meal. The same applies on land as much as it does when we cruise.

I am not keen on Royal's restaurants. $95 for Chops Grill, yet there is much unhappiness with Princess Crown Grill going up to $50+, and they have a much better meal. I agree that Wonderland is not much more than a concept, and Jamie's is not much more than Tapas. 

P&O Shell & Bones is hit & miss, but their steak & ribs are usually pretty good. My wife likes their lobster brioche roll, but we have heard so many bad things about the seafood tower that we give it a wide berth.

Specialty restaurants need to feel special and not be all about the food. Even with current prices, we will usually have a night in a specialty restaurant - especially Princess Crown Grill, P&O Luke Mangan's, HAL Pinnacle Grill, Celebrity Murano.

• Like 1

Not quite OT however on one cruise we dined in a specialty restaurant, I can't remember which ship, where a waitress came to the table with a tray of various condiments from which we offered "organic" salt!

• Haha 1