Where to head for lunch after boarding

Ranger28

6 minutes ago, Ranger28 said:

What types of foods are on the MDR menu? 

When you arrive the menu will be posted outside the main dining room serving lunch. I agree, avoid the buffet unless you are one of the first onboard, it gets crazy there. If you are staying in a Haven Suite, Haven Restaurant is amazing or even try the American Diner as it is free for Haven guests on embarkation day for lunch. We love the Breakaway have been on her twice and Osheans is also a great place to go for lunch. 

• Like 2

As you arrive on board, the staff will try to direct you to the buffet.  Don't assume that's your only option.  Just ask directions to Savor/Taste or O'Sheehans.  

The unique energy that you might experience at the buffet on embarkation day could also be called complete chaos!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

There is a unique energy in the buffet on embarkation day that you can only experience once per cruise. You can have lunch in the MDR or O'Sheehan's some other time.

I totally agree, It may get crowded, but just feels like vacation is starting.

• Like 4

I echo the main dining room suggestion. I started doing this on my first cruise and always order the Fish and Chips. It’s become such a tradition to me that I’m not sure what I’ll do if it ever gets pulled off the menu. It’s such a nice relaxed atmosphere and you really get to know the staff. It’s only open on sea days, so you only have a few opportunities to have lunch there. Plenty of time to visit the buffet later on my opinion. Have a wonderful cruise! ❤️

Edited by AKR2011
  • Like 3

On our recent trip on the Jewel, we headed right to O’Sheehans after boarding. We were seated right away and ordered Coronas for the two of us. My wife ordered a Cobb salad and I ordered a coney dog with fries. The dirty looks began from the love of my life but she did steal a few of my fries…

What a wonderful way to start a wonderful trip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

On our recent trip on the Jewel, we headed right to O’Sheehans after boarding.

We were thinking of going to O'Sheehans for embarkation lunch for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel—either that or the MDR. 

Is O'Sheehans as noisy as it is on the newer ships? Or is it quieter?

We're traveling with family, and have a dinner later that day reserved in the MDR all together, so I was thinking maybe we'd go somewhere else for lunch. But, as mentioned, the buffet is always super crowded, so maybe O'Sheehans would work, as long as it isn't super loud. Is it quiet and easy to get a table? If so, O'Sheehans might jump to the top of our list.

• Like 1

I enjoy the buffet on embarkation day, because everyone is in a GREAT mood (starting vacation!) and most people are having a blast already. O'Sheehan's is another really good option, on Breakaway particularly, since it has larger tables kind of "around the corner" from the part facing the atrium. We consistently had quick, pleasant service with hot (unlike MDR, lol) food!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hallux said:

I believe it's the standard lunch menu -

https://profcruise.com/norwegian-dining-and-restaurant-menus-2022/

I definitely recall having the Philly Cheesesteak on the Bliss in 2019...

The lunch menu here is spot on. Was in breakaway in January and I remember all the items listed .  I had the cheeseburger and it was awesome. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ranger28 said:

We’re sailing out of New Orleans on the Breakaway and would like to know where to dine after boarding and what the typical menu will look like. Thanks!

You have four options. Buffet. Taste and Savor Main Dining Rooms. O’Sheehan’s bar and grill. And American Diner (specialty dining for a fee). 

We want to get the cruise started, so go to the buffet. The MDR is usually good service, but we don’t need fine dining for our embarkation lunch. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You have four options. Buffet. Taste and Savor Main Dining Rooms. O’Sheehan’s bar and grill. And American Diner (specialty dining for a fee). 

We want to get the cruise started, so go to the buffet. The MDR is usually good service, but we don’t need fine dining for our embarkation lunch. 

We avoid the Buffet for the reasons stated above, but also because it is travel day for a lot of folks and they tend to have lots of bags, coats, jackets, etc.  Especially folks traveling from the north during the winter months.  For some reason, some people are reluctant to check their luggage, and prefer to carry them on.  That just takes up more space.  Also people will just sit in the buffet until the announcement comes on stating the cabins are ready.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dcipjr said:

We were thinking of going to O'Sheehans for embarkation lunch for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel—either that or the MDR. 

Is O'Sheehans as noisy as it is on the newer ships? Or is it quieter?

We're traveling with family, and have a dinner later that day reserved in the MDR all together, so I was thinking maybe we'd go somewhere else for lunch. But, as mentioned, the buffet is always super crowded, so maybe O'Sheehans would work, as long as it isn't super loud. Is it quiet and easy to get a table? If so, O'Sheehans might jump to the top of our list.

We didn’t find the O’Sheehans overly noisy but remember this was embarkation day and there was certainly a mild roar of optimistic chatter in the area!

We had a table for two so I can’t speak to the opportunity for a table for a bigger group. 
We were there for a good time, not a long time as we wanted to take a tour of the ship and stretch our legs. My wife wanted me to work off the hot dog and fries while I was in search of a nice frozen drink…. Guess who won that battle of wishes? 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

We had a table for two so I can’t speak to the opportunity for a table for a bigger group.

That's a really good point. I don't remember there being large tables that would seat 8 in O'Sheehans. 

Probably the MDR is the better option for our embarkation lunch this time around. 

Hope you won the battle of wishes, but I'm guessing you made your wife happy (which is also a win!).

• Like 1

We enjoy sitting down to a nice quiet meal, being waited on, having a welcome aboard beverage, and taking a deep breath.  So, we choose the MDR.  We have at times gone to OSheehans, but on the BA class ships the atrium is a very noisy place and it can be hard for me to relax with all that auditory overstimulation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dcipjr said:

That's a really good point. I don't remember there being large tables that would seat 8 in O'Sheehans. 

Probably the MDR is the better option for our embarkation lunch this time around. 

Hope you won the battle of wishes, but I'm guessing you made your wife happy (which is also a win!).

Happy wife, happy life!

I rarely win any battles with the beautiful one but I’m okay with that…

• Like 1