Soot and sunset - E class

cangelmd

Anyone who has sailed in a sunset verandah, particularly on E-class, any ideas which decks have the most or least soot? You can’t smell the smoke from the funnel can you? How often did you use your balcony? I’m sure the wind direction and ships speed are important?

We are looking at sunset verandahs for a  transatlantic. My SIL loves to sit on a balcony, in the sun and read, we really want the sunset verandahs, but she is quite sensitive to smoke, just wiping down the soot would not be a dealbreaker, actual smoke might be.

I have been on decks 9 and 10 on Edge.  There was a tiny bit of soot once on my deck 9 SV which the cabin steward quickly wiped off.  No smell of smoke, (however the pot smell from the next cabin was nasty)!  I will again be on deck 9 on my upcoming Apex cruise.  I use the balcony every day 😎.

It's really a variable that has no right answer. I've smelled smoke at night more than during the day but I have no idea why that may be or if it's coincidental. 

On Beyond (and Ascent) deck 7 SV's are the top pick IMO. Much more shade and the overhang from the balcony above should prevent any soot on the balcony. Edge and Apex are setup differently. 

We were in a Sky Suite on Dec 12 aft on the Beyond. There were very small amounts of soot and no smoke smell. The cabin attendant took care of the soot as needed. The biggest question on sun would be the direction the ship is going or docking and whether the cabin is directly facing the sun. There was sufficient overhang over our balcony that we could sit in the shade or the sun except when we were facing the afternoon sun.

• Thanks 1

We were in a SV on deck 8 of the Beyond last May and had no issues with soot or smoke smell. It was a great cabin. Used our balcony a lot - especially once when we became quarantined on it 😉 

Edited by koolforkatz

Just returned from the Edge on deck 8.  There was definitely some soot, but no smell.  Our steward wiped things down.  I also went over the chairs with wipes.  Just put down a beach towel provided each time I sat out there.  Had no issues.

Had a sky suite corner on Apex TA.  Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam.  Had soot one day.  Never smelled smoke.  They cleaned the balcony one day. We were on deck nine.  Get some towels from the pool before you come up to the room at some point ( our butler started doing this for us).  If there is soot in the morning or the chairs are damp from humidity you can put the towels on the chairs before you sit.

We stayed in sunset verandas on the Edge and Apex on deck 12 and there was quite a bit of soot that landed onto our balcony.  I would avoid the sunset verandas on deck 12 on all E class ships.

We had an SV on deck 8 for our December b2b aboard Apex. There was often a little soot on surfaces, but it wasn’t an issue for us. We spent portions of each day on our veranda. We avoided the veranda for portions of two of 14 days due to diesel fumes. We also had a corner aft SS on deck 11 aboard Reflection in 2019. We had worse diesel fume issues on that cruise. Both cruises were in the Caribbean. The wind is definitely a factor. Based on our experiences, we’d go for an SV on deck 7 or 8. They’re wonderful cabins!

Edited by Silkroad

6 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Hopefully that got addressed.

I reported it to Guest Services…twice.  After a few days, I got a visit from GS and was told that the offender had to be caught in the act.  So…they got away with it!