MDR Line-up Protocol

cruznoob57

I'm wondering what the protocol is when you have a reservation for the MDR and when you arrive, there is already a line-up. Do you go to the front of the line and let them know you have a reservation and have arrived, or do you just go to the back of the line and wait until you get to the front to let them know you've arrived, which seems to make having the reservation useless, but I don't want people to think I'm being rude and butting in line. 

Edited by cruznoob57

On the first night you line up.. talk to the matr d and she sends or assign you a table.   

Following night it all depends, do you have an assigned table for the rest of the cruise?  Normally we still stay in line especially when the restaurant just opened.   Lines move fast after the first night.   If you arrive later, line is short anyway, ..we always line up unless there's a separate line, sometimes they do

I'm thinking you are referring to Anytime (Select) dining where you choose a time to eat and you've made a reservation ahead of time. On our last couple of cruises there have been 2 lines: one for those who have reservations and one line for those who didn't make a reservation. These lines are clearly marked with signage. If you have a reservation you would go to the end of the reservation line, which typically moves faster than the non-reservation line. 

• Like 3

On our cruise last year we had anytime dining but had reserved tables for each night prior to sailing...not sure if it was on Eclipse or millenium but there was only 1 queue at the mdr . We ended up joining the queue and just waiting till we got to the front to tell them we had a reservation. ...but that might be because we're British and that's how we roll 😎 I'm sure some people would just walk to the front. 

There are usually two lines clearly marked with signs at the Select Dining entry to the dining room - one side for guests with reservations and one for guests without. That was on S and M class ships. I do not remember two lines on the Beyond in the October. But either way you wait in the line - those without reservations almost always get a beeper. Even with reservations you might get a beeper. 

• Like 1

We were on the Silhouette January 30 sailing and had a 6:45pm MDR reservation. We arrived a few minutes early and there was a single long line. I went up to the hostess to inquire if there was a separate check in  line for reservations. She said no, only this one line. It took 45 minutes to get through the line and the same hostess now told me my reservation was cancelled as a no show. She then gave me a pager and told us to wait in the bar. My husband asked to speak to a manager. The manager eventually did seat us but said they were not honoring reservations tonight as it was a full cruise. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bassethounddog said:

We were on the Silhouette January 30 sailing and had a 6:45pm MDR reservation. We arrived a few minutes early and there was a single long line. I went up to the hostess to inquire if there was a separate check in  line for reservations. She said no, only this one line. It took 45 minutes to get through the line and the same hostess now told me my reservation was cancelled as a no show. She then gave me a pager and told us to wait in the bar. My husband asked to speak to a manager. The manager eventually did seat us but said they were not honoring reservations tonight as it was a full cruise. Ridiculous. 

Was this with anytime dining or normal dining?

13 hours ago, bassethounddog said:

We always have Select Dining and have cruised Silhouette many times including 4 times since the restart. We always book for every night and have never had the situation you describe. Occasionally they have had booked through the left hand door and walk ins through the right but usually 2 lines for each door.

Are you sure you booked for every night?

What happened on nights 3 and after?

23 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I'm thinking you are referring to Anytime (Select) dining where you choose a time to eat and you've made a reservation ahead of time. On our last couple of cruises there have been 2 lines: one for those who have reservations and one line for those who didn't make a reservation. These lines are clearly marked with signage. If you have a reservation you would go to the end of the reservation line, which typically moves faster than the non-reservation line. 

Yes, we have Anytime (Select) dining. Having 2 lines (rezzy and non-rezzy) would definitely make sense and make it obvious what to do. If there is only one line, I guess it can't hurt to just go to the front of it and inform them we're there for our reservation; otherwise, what's the point of having made the reservation in the first place?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bassethounddog said:

This is the situation I am hoping to avoid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruznoob57 said:

Yes, we have Anytime (Select) dining. Having 2 lines (rezzy and non-rezzy) would definitely make sense and make it obvious what to do. If there is only one line, I guess it can't hurt to just go to the front of it and inform them we're there for our reservation; otherwise, what's the point of having made the reservation in the first place?

Before doing that I would suggest that you just check with the person directly ahead of you if they also have a reservation.

Are you sure you pre booked for every night as this has to be done for each night individually ?

Did the same issue arise every night?

We just returned from the Millennium - for Anytime (select) dining, there was a sign at the entrance to the MDR that stood between two separate hostess podiums, both manned.  On that sign was an arrow pointing to one of the podiums for those with reservations, and to the other podium for those without reservations.  At least 15 minutes prior to the MDR opening at 5:30, there was usually a lineup of at least 20-40 people, but when we would finish our pre-dinner drink and got to dinner at approx 6:15, there was never more than 2-4 people in either lineup and we never had to wait at all to be seated.