Are their clocks in the rooms?

oskidunker

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you’re ever in Greenwich, be sure to see the Harrison clocks at the Royal Observatory.

image.jpeg.df540598ccd74b9cb12558c62095525a.jpeg

We're going next summer on the British Isles Explorer cruise, will have to get there for sure. I have over 30 clocks in my house, not counting various and sundry digital ones here and there, a couple of nixie clocks (worth looking up), at least a dozen that I wind every Saturday... 2 cuckoo clocks that my grandkids love. My sweet wife tolerates them; when they all start chiming at about 10pm, it's cacophonous.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, longterm said:

We're going next summer on the British Isles Explorer cruise, will have to get there for sure. I have over 30 clocks in my house, not counting various and sundry digital ones here and there, a couple of nixie clocks (worth looking up), at least a dozen that I wind every Saturday... 2 cuckoo clocks that my grandkids love. My sweet wife tolerates them; when they all start chiming at about 10pm, it's cacophonous.

We're planning to be in London a few days before the cruise, so I'm thinking we could board the ship on embarkation day, then get off the ship, walk down to the Royal Observatory. Is this a logical plan?

37 minutes ago, longterm said:

We're planning to be in London a few days before the cruise, so I'm thinking we could board the ship on embarkation day, then get off the ship, walk down to the Royal Observatory. Is this a logical plan?

Walk up, it’s on a hill.

Yes, it’s a marvelous place to visit. One highlight is the room design by Christopher Wren for Issac Newton to make his observations.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 1:12 PM, longterm said:

You also need to pay a visit to the clock room at the British Museum 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 5:12 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also worth a visit, the Clockmakers’ Museum is now located inside the Science Museum in Kensington. 
https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/clockmakers-museum

Quick follow up. We just got back from our trip to London. Greenwich Observatory has a great free (with admission) daily tour of the Harrison clocks. The docent gives you the history of the longitude prize and clocks H1 - H4, as you walk around and view them. H5 is at the Clockmaker’s Museum. 

IMG_3935.thumb.jpeg.bffd697d9eb4c9535a552739f0458e50.jpeg

IMG_3938.thumb.jpeg.f2f7a18f886aa44d4914bf4cf1837a57.jpeg

IMG_3939.thumb.jpeg.25e864dc428efb81a4c9d9868fa2679c.jpeg

Greenwich 

IMG_3006.thumb.jpeg.b9eeef49677b69f62ae4724bd7f2586c.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne