Are their clocks in the rooms?

oskidunker

Unless there is a synchronized master clock system, having clocks in staterooms seems problematic. On our recent cruise we stopped for a day in Turkey, which is in a different time zone from Greece, but the ship remained on “ship time.” They notified people to put their phones on manual time zone selection to prevent them from changing automatically.

Having a standard hotel style alarm clock in staterooms might cause more confusion and cause passengers to miss excursions, all while blaming Viking. If the staterooms were designed with a centralized clock system, that is another matter, but they are not.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Oceania had them and it was very helpful.

Negative, clocks are not normally included in ship cabins because of the frequent time changes. It would be another task for the cabin stewards. Clocks on ships are normally connected to the master clock system, to simplify time changes and ensure they are reasonably correct.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I don't want to have to get up and go look at the phone in the morning 

It's on the bedside table. Also your own phone and watch will have the time on them if you adjusted them as instructed. 

The TV has the time on the screen on the Viking daily channel

• Like 4

I might be strange but I find a nice wristwatch and iPhone plenty to let me find out what time it is.  iPhone even changes time zones automatically, even changed the date when we crossed the International Date Line.  Several times back and forth across the line.  Personally I find clocks on the wall to be annoying.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I might be strange but I find a nice wristwatch and iPhone plenty to let me find out what time it is.  iPhone even changes time zones automatically, even changed the date when we crossed the International Date Line.  Several times back and forth across the line.  Personally I find clocks on the wall to be annoying.  

Interesting-when we were doing the Round Iceland cruise and when we were on X cruising from Vancouver to Japan, our phones seemed to be picking what time zone they wanted to be in which was never the one we were actually in. We presumed it was due to the satellites the wifi was using.  Had to turn the automated function off. #firstworldproblem

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

A right pretty tick tock.  Does it bong every 15 minutes as well as count each hour?  That should keep your neighbors in line...🥃

That's actually not mine, but I do have one, and yes, almost all grandfather clocks chime on the quarter-hour, if you have it set to do so. In most cases, there are several chime varieties (Westminster, Whittington, and St. Michaels), as well as silent mode. Some have a setting to make it silent at night; in our house, the clock's far enough from our bedroom that we don't hear it at all.

It's not easy to get it in the stateroom, but oh so convenient! I thought of using my iPhone, which is a foot from my face on the bed table, but then I'd have to turn my head.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, longterm said:

That's actually not mine, but I do have one, and yes, almost all grandfather clocks chime on the quarter-hour, if you have it set to do so. In most cases, there are several chime varieties (Westminster, Whittington, and St. Michaels), as well as silent mode. Some have a setting to make it silent at night; in our house, the clock's far enough from our bedroom that we don't hear it at all.

It's not easy to get it in the stateroom, but oh so convenient! I thought of using my iPhone, which is a foot from my face on the bed table, but then I'd have to turn my head.

Your overweight luggage charges must be massive! 🙂

1 hour ago, longterm said:

Does the swaying of the ship make the pendulum swing faster??😎

13 minutes ago, longterm said:

No, but the great jazz playing on my iPhone does! 😁

... and it doesn't sit on my wrist very well and seems to annoy other passengers on the excursions, for some strange reason. That and the garlic dip.