Questions Regarding the AmaWaterways Lahneck Castle Excursion

lam9197

I will be on the the AmaPrima next year for a 7 night Rhine and Moselle Splendors cruise with my sister. She has difficulties walking on inclines or a large amount of stairs. It is my understanding from somethings I have read online that you have to walk up to Lahneck Castle and the path is an incline. Has anyone taken the excursion? Could you describe the walk up to the castle? Thank you very much. We will be traveling Luxembourg to Basel so our Lahneck excursion will be in the evening before dinner I believe.

I have been to Lahneck Castle on a day trip and is a short walk. It is also an incline, but really managable. If the coach takes you to the car park where I parked then that is not too bad. There are two access paths to the castle, one straight up the hill and one from the plateau behind it. The castle itself is accessible with just a few steps into the building but I have not been inside. This is a really old castle in typical Medieval style. There is no car park at the castle itself although there is a service vehicle area, so question would be if Amawaterways has a means of getting you close or if you have to walk from the visitors car park. Hopefully someone will reply soon with the logistics for the excursion. If not, I can try and remember who went there - we had a conversation in the Rhine thread - to  give them a call here on CC.

This map shows the way I walked, see the car park from which the steep incline leads to the castle at the top of the map, that would take longer and must be steeper:

image.thumb.png.dbc167b3cc55cebbb726498688ecd2ce.png

If one can manage the incline but not the steps then the restaurant at the castle is great for just sitting and admiring the view.

This is my trip report from Lahneck Castle, spread out into three parts: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/9/

notamermaid

12 hours ago, lam9197 said:

I will be on the the AmaPrima next year for a 7 night Rhine and Moselle Splendors cruise with my sister. She has difficulties walking on inclines or a large amount of stairs. It is my understanding from somethings I have read online that you have to walk up to Lahneck Castle and the path is an incline. Has anyone taken the excursion? Could you describe the walk up to the castle? Thank you very much. We will be traveling Luxembourg to Basel so our Lahneck excursion will be in the evening before dinner I believe.

To hijack your thread slightly, I was looking at the Rhine and Moselle cruise offerings and that one sounded really nice and slightly different from the typical Amsterdam to Basel route for a Rhine cruise.  What made you pick the one you are going on?  Thanks.

Salandara. Our decision came down to either that cruise or one from Nuremberg to Amsterdam. The one we chose allowed me a new country (Luxembourg) and a chance to visit Reims in France on our pre-cruise part of the trip we are planning on our own and Strasbourg during the cruise. I am more widely traveled than my sister with whom I am cruising and had been to both Cologne and Amsterdam. Switzerland also really intrigued her to see the Alps on the post cruise part of the trip. We are going to try to fly home from Geneva which will allow me to visit a new part of Switzerland also. We made pro and con lists and finally just sat down and made a decision. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I have been to Lahneck Castle on a day trip and is a short walk. It is also an incline, but really managable. If the coach takes you to the car park where I parked then that is not too bad. There are two access paths to the castle, one straight up the hill and one from the plateau behind it. The castle itself is accessible with just a few steps into the building but I have not been inside. This is a really old castle in typical Medieval style. There is no car park at the castle itself although there is a service vehicle area, so question would be if Amawaterways has a means of getting you close or if you have to walk from the visitors car park. Hopefully someone will reply soon with the logistics for the excursion. If not, I can try and remember who went there - we had a conversation in the Rhine thread - to  give them a call here on CC.

This map shows the way I walked, see the car park from which the steep incline leads to the castle at the top of the map, that would take longer and must be steeper:

image.thumb.png.dbc167b3cc55cebbb726498688ecd2ce.png

If one can manage the incline but not the steps then the restaurant at the castle is great for just sitting and admiring the view.

This is my trip report from Lahneck Castle, spread out into three parts: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/9/

notamermaid

Thank you for the information.

13 hours ago, Shalandara said:

To hijack your thread slightly, I was looking at the Rhine and Moselle cruise offerings and that one sounded really nice and slightly different from the typical Amsterdam to Basel route for a Rhine cruise.  What made you pick the one you are going on?  Thanks.

Our first river cruise, and the advice often given [even by me!] for a first river cruise, was Amsterdam to Basel [on AMA].  It was all well and good, and we hadn't been to Amsterdam in a long time at that point – but the cruising between Amsterdam and Cologne was pretty boring.  Thinking about it now, my recommendation for a first cruise would be Moselle and Rhine from Paris to Luxembourg to Basel to ... some time in Switzerland [Lucerne for sure, then whatever else strikes your fancy and fits your timing].

• Thanks 1