Here’s to NOT “The Worst Cruise I’ve Ever Taken”!!! Sailing the Mera today- first time MSC, YC and Aurea Suite

L1211

7 hours ago, L1211 said:

I’m not convinced it does bypass…. Been using it this week.  

My YC butler on Seascape said the override only works if you are the first to "call" the elevator.  If all the elevators in that bank have already been "assigned," you will be notified which one to get on, but there won't necessarily be any priority to your chosen floor.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pat said:

We are wine drinkers and I'm a bit concerned about the reports of very limited supply of wines.  There are a couple of wines, by the glass and under the $15 that are on the Butchers Cut menu.  Does anyone know if YC bartenders have access to these wines?    I suspect not,  but I hope yes!  TIA

If you are not satisfied with the particular 'wines of the night' on offer in the YCDR, the Sommelier is your friend! Explain your preferences, and they should deliver. 😉 

Certainly, that has been our experience although we could not by any stretch be described as wine buffs!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pat said:

We are wine drinkers and I'm a bit concerned about the reports of very limited supply of wines.  There are a couple of wines, by the glass and under the $15 that are on the Butchers Cut menu.  Does anyone know if YC bartenders have access to these wines?    I suspect not,  but I hope yes!  TIA

We have OFTEN experienced issues with trying to get even "listed" glasses of wine due to "supply shortages."  Unfortunately the default is to pour "down" not "up" meaning they will offer an inferior substitute even though the ships are chock full of better wines.  It's frustrating at best.  (There's a somm on one the ships who wanted to have a "taste off" with me insisting that I couldn't blind read the difference between a $4 bottle and $40 bottle.  I declined knowing that I'd smoke him 🙂 )

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

We have OFTEN experienced issues with trying to get even "listed" glasses of wine due to "supply shortages."  Unfortunately the default is to pour "down" not "up" meaning they will offer an inferior substitute even though the ships are chock full of better wines.  It's frustrating at best.  (There's a somm on one the ships who wanted to have a "taste off" with me insisting that I couldn't blind read the difference between a $4 bottle and $40 bottle.  I declined knowing that I'd smoke him 🙂 )

Well we're not experts by any means,  but we know what we like.  For instance,  I see Oberon is available for $15 in Butchers Cut, but I don't see it listed in YC.  We like Oberon and would be very happy with that,  the ones listed in YC I'm just not familiar with and appear to be all Italian wines.  I'm happy to try new ones, but want the taste that I enjoy.   I am also disappointed that we can't just pay the difference in price for a more expensive by the glass wine,  it doesn't make any sense to me.  If MSC wants to be more present in the US market,  I believe they will have to make a few changes to their drink packages.  Included or not,  its the perception of value that will be important to people, particularly those booking the YC.

Hi @L1211, I have been enjoying your review and just read through 8 pages.
Since page 1, I have been annoyed for you that the girls didn't have thermal access in the Aurera Suite.

Please tell me this was fixed, and what was the issue?
We are in an Aurera Suite on Seascape in 4 days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat said:

Well we're not experts by any means,  but we know what we like.  For instance,  I see Oberon is available for $15 in Butchers Cut, but I don't see it listed in YC.  We like Oberon and would be very happy with that,  the ones listed in YC I'm just not familiar with and appear to be all Italian wines.  I'm happy to try new ones, but want the taste that I enjoy.   I am also disappointed that we can't just pay the difference in price for a more expensive by the glass wine,  it doesn't make any sense to me.  If MSC wants to be more present in the US market,  I believe they will have to make a few changes to their drink packages.  Included or not,  its the perception of value that will be important to people, particularly those booking the YC.

There was no Cab available in BC.  The only cab my husband had found was Clois du Bois and he couldn’t even drink it.  They do not have the wines from the list available. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

exactly this.  you are never offered a drink menu. It is more of a “we have x”. You can take x or not - that is your choice. My husband who is terribly laid back, NEVER read a cruise review, knew nothing of MSC is very frustrated and confused… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, surfjock27 said:

Hi @L1211, I have been enjoying your review and just read through 8 pages.
Since page 1, I have been annoyed for you that the girls didn't have thermal access in the Aurera Suite.

Please tell me this was fixed, and what was the issue?
We are in an Aurera Suite on Seascape in 4 days. 

Thanks for following!  They had a wonderful massage but were not allowed in the thermal suite- they have not gone back.  The Too 19 area is lovely!  We have not tried their anytime dining yet.  Enjoy!!

Just now, L1211 said:

Thanks for following!  They had a wonderful massage but were not allowed in the thermal suite- they have not gone back.  The Too 19 area is lovely!  We have not tried their anytime dining yet.  Enjoy!!

Wow I’m on the ship in September and did Aurea for several reasons but a

big one was the thermal spa.  This makes me anxious. Did they tell the girls why? 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, L1211 said:

My view…

image.jpg

My husband and I were on Meraviglia in October 2021. I know a lot of people don't like those overhead glass panels, but it was the first cruise we were able to spend all day poolside and not end up with a horrible sunburn, yet still got some color. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, L1211 said:

Had to wait till Nassau to get cell service - can’t load cruise critic on the ship’s Wi-Fi.  Cabin smells of waste - ugh.  Bed comfy, air is cold,  shower is hot!

Oh no! I would report that waste smell immediately, it's usually a quick fix, something to do with a dry drain or something. Has happened to us in higher end suites on RC, so can happen anywhere. Still gross though! Could the wifi issue be something to do with all the people on board? 

On 3/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, L1211 said:

Slow service in the YC bar- 13 minutes, no bottled water to restock mini-bar myself. And here are the snacks- everyone’s favorite -caramelized pearl onions and green olives. Would make sense if it were a “make your own Bloody Mary bar”!!  I wish they had coffee and water available for self- serve. I would WAY RATHER serve myself than long waits…. But I guess this is “luxury”…

AE997F8A-3887-4EE3-8F11-CFC907F619B2.jpeg

O M G! I know I'm late to posting here, but this is definitely NOT the norm in the YC. So sorry you're having to deal with this.

23 hours ago, L1211 said:

Terrible Wi-Fi!!!  Beautiful day at Ocean Cay!! Steakhouse excellent last night- pics to come.  Can we talk about this lighthouse bar???  I want to live here.  Live music, drinks, amazing views!!

6A9BDCDA-71DD-450F-9DA6-8E5950D04F30.jpeg

82D36BE9-63A0-424D-A1C5-5CD9A35EF448.jpeg

When my husband and I sailed on Meravigalia in 2021, we had an overnight and 2 days at Ocean Cay. On the second day we went for a walk around the island after having lunch at the Ocean House and ended up at this bar. We really enjoyed it too! 

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

Oh no! I would report that waste smell immediately, it's usually a quick fix, something to do with a dry drain or something. Has happened to us in higher end suites on RC, so can happen anywhere. Still gross though! Could the wifi issue be something to do with all the people on board? 

It’s fine at times and terrible others- sure the usage drains it.  Wish I had upgraded to browse and stream- only available first two days. I tried on morning three. 

3 hours ago, nycfa said:

Wow I’m on the ship in September and did Aurea for several reasons but a

big one was the thermal spa.  This makes me anxious. Did they tell the girls why? 

We’ve found a lack of understanding of Aurea benefits…

4 minutes ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

I am loving your review! Thank you so much for taking this time from your vacation to do a live review.

That’s so kind of you to say!  I love to have the record of the experience and share- I learned so much from this community! 

• Like 4

There is a charcuterie section at the very front of the buffet- Italian meats and cheeses- may I recommend you wander from the enclave and bring back a platter to be enjoyed in your cabin with a nice glass of wine!!!  It’s really high quality- have not found any of this qualify in any other cruise line! 

2 minutes ago, L1211 said:

There is a charcuterie section at the very front of the buffet- Italian meats and cheeses- may I recommend you wander from the enclave and bring back a platter to be enjoyed in your cabin with a nice glass of wine!!!  It’s really high quality- have not found any of this qualify in any other cruise line! 

Is this the buffet in the Yacht Club?

Ivi