Drink Menu Prices

fleeflicker

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's nice to see that the wine is no longer just "purple or clear" on the menu.

When I order a Cabernet I like to know it won't be "Bob's Cabernet".

Except the only Chardonnay, Pilot Grigio, and Cab in the Plus package, at least on the Crooners menu posted, are Canyon Road.  Retail for a whole bottle of that plonk at Total Wine is less than they're selling a glass for.

On my last cruise, I started going to Vines for a double pour of something decent and still within the Plus package on my way to the MDR for dinner.

6 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Except the only Chardonnay, Pilot Grigio, and Cab in the Plus package, at least on the Crooners menu posted, are Canyon Road.  Retail for a whole bottle of that plonk at Total Wine is less than they're selling a glass for.

On my last cruise, I started going to Vines for a double pour of something decent and still within the Plus package on my way to the MDR for dinner.

Is Malbec back on the offerings as it was nowhere in sight on our last Princess voyage?

16 minutes ago, villauk said:

Is Malbec back on the offerings as it was nowhere in sight on our last Princess voyage?

The Crooners menu posted has Morpho Helena Malbec for $10 a glass.  But just because it's on the menu doesn't mean they'll have it onboard.

Never heard if it, so I Googled it and found "This is one of the ‘free’ wines left in your cabin on Celebrity cruises."  I didn't see it sold at retail anywhere, so probably a private label plonk bottled for Royal/Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Retail for a whole bottle of that plonk at Total Wine is less than they're selling a glass for.

But isn't that sort of pricing the same the whole world over  ?

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But isn't that sort of pricing the same the whole world over  ?

Yes there's a big markup on wine, but over 500% on wine by the glass that would retail under $10 by the bottle?

Instead of providing better wines at a slightly higher (but still within the Plus limit) cost per glass, Princess is hoping pax will accept wine of any quality that they can get under Plus without paying an upcharge. 

34 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yes there's a big markup on wine, but over 500% on wine by the glass that would retail under $10 by the bottle?

Instead of providing better wines at a slightly higher (but still within the Plus limit) cost per glass, Princess is hoping pax will accept wine of any quality that they can get under Plus without paying an upcharge. 

Yup, 500% is pretty steep. I normally would expect a 300% mark up or thereabouts on generic wines.