Suggestions for Melbourne. Dock at 8am...Leave 5pm next day. Nov 14-15, 2023

kccpa

Hi all,

First time visitor to Australia.  So excited for this bucket list visit  Some pertinent info, I'm a healthy and energetic 67 YO lady who is traveling with a friend who completely surprised me when I found out her age, she is 81 YO.  I thought her to be maybe mid 70's at the oldest.  She is young at heart and very spry.  No mobility issues although I admit I walk slower when with her and don't rush.  I would have concerns if a road was very rocky.  

What are the not to be missed places to visit?  I can plan ahead.  We are going to be in Sydney from Nov 5th for 5 days, so I signed up for the Sydney Opera House newsletter...to get first notice of what performances will be there, in order to get tickets.  Is there something similar in Melbourne I need to sign up for?

For some reason I can't wrap my head around this city.  We both love food, theatre, anything informative about the new place we are visiting.  I love animals of all kinds but worry about all the walking required for my friend if we went to a zoo.  Maybe what I'm thinking is, I get my zoo fix in Sydney and we decide to each have a different excursion day apart.  We have more time in Sydney to be flexible.  Trying to give you all a bit of knowledge about us as people.

We don't have to be super budget conscious.  This is a bucket list vacation for us both and we are unlikely to return.  

With all of this said, suggestions & recommendations are most welcome!

Kathy

Edited by kccpa
  • Like 1

Kathy, you said you can't get your head around Melbourne - in what way?

As you mentioned the Sydney Opera House  - Mebourne has its arts precinct which may be of interest - Melbourne Arts Precinct and includes the Arts Centre - https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/   The main entertainment venue is Hamer Hall. There are tours of the Arts Centre as well - https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/visit/explore-buildings

Melbourne has an extensive tram system and there is one which goes from near the piert into the central business district. On cruise ship visits, there is a bus running as well. Trams are free around the CBD, but will cost from the pier - you can buy a Myki card in the cruise terminal. 

There are museums, a fabulous state library housed in a beautiful old building, great parks and gardens situated on the edge of the CBD. Melbourne is renowned for its coffee and food. There are many cafes, restaurants and bars to choose from. A walk along the the Yarra River at Southbank is interesting, also many cafes, bars and restaurants if needed. If you are interested in sport there is the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne Park (Australian tennis open venue) and a rugby/soccer stadium a short walk along the north side of the Yarra River. 

Another suggestion as you are in port overnight is the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island, a two or so hour drive from Station Pier. You would leave during the afternoon and not return to almost middnight though. This is an example of a Penguin Parade Tour - https://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Phillip-Island-Penguin-and-Koala-Highlights-Day-Trip-from-Melbourne/d384-6770P13

If you have any more questions, please ask. Check out other threads about visiting Melbourne on this board.

Leigh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good ideas above.

The ship may have a penguin parade excursion but there are plenty of local ones which would be suitable. I would suggest googling for a 1/2 day excursion if interested.

Have a read through this for things on, https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/search/from-2023-11-14+to-2023-11-14+melbourne+things-to-do

And for attractions in and around Melbourne, https://www.visitmelbourne.com/

If you are still stuck for ideas, the Melbourne forum on Trip Advisor has many knowledgeable volunteers who could come up with a suitable 2 day itinerary.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:08 PM, possum52 said:

Kathy, you said you can't get your head around Melbourne - in what way?

As you mentioned the Sydney Opera House  - Mebourne has its arts precinct which may be of interest - Melbourne Arts Precinct and includes the Arts Centre - https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/   The main entertainment venue is Hamer Hall. There are tours of the Arts Centre as well - https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/visit/explore-buildings

Melbourne has an extensive tram system and there is one which goes from near the piert into the central business district. On cruise ship visits, there is a bus running as well. Trams are free around the CBD, but will cost from the pier - you can buy a Myki card in the cruise terminal. 

There are museums, a fabulous state library housed in a beautiful old building, great parks and gardens situated on the edge of the CBD. Melbourne is renowned for its coffee and food. There are many cafes, restaurants and bars to choose from. A walk along the the Yarra River at Southbank is interesting, also many cafes, bars and restaurants if needed. If you are interested in sport there is the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne Park (Australian tennis open venue) and a rugby/soccer stadium a short walk along the north side of the Yarra River. 

Another suggestion as you are in port overnight is the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island, a two or so hour drive from Station Pier. You would leave during the afternoon and not return to almost middnight though. This is an example of a Penguin Parade Tour - https://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Phillip-Island-Penguin-and-Koala-Highlights-Day-Trip-from-Melbourne/d384-6770P13

If you have any more questions, please ask. Check out other threads about visiting Melbourne on this board.

Leigh

Thank you Leigh, I  have read up on all the threads that have mentioned Melbourne.  The Penguin Parade Tour did catch my eye.  From one post, it sounded like an all day trip with leaving in the morning and with the cruise line, they say they will arrive at 8am, but will they really?  I'm smiling at this.  I guess maybe it was the tour company that had the all day tour listed.  Good to know that we could start in the afternoon.  Thank you for the link.  

My friend is a great lover of coffee.  She will be happy to enjoy many great good cups of HOT coffee.  Must be HOT for her.  Me?  I like to be able to drink mine...Haha.  

Thank you for your help.  You are always available with such valuable info. 

Best,  Kathy

On 3/13/2023 at 1:57 AM, yarramar said:

Good ideas above.

The ship may have a penguin parade excursion but there are plenty of local ones which would be suitable. I would suggest googling for a 1/2 day excursion if interested.

Have a read through this for things on, https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/search/from-2023-11-14+to-2023-11-14+melbourne+things-to-do

And for attractions in and around Melbourne, https://www.visitmelbourne.com/

If you are still stuck for ideas, the Melbourne forum on Trip Advisor has many knowledgeable volunteers who could come up with a suitable 2 day itinerary.

Thank you for the link to "What's On" and your other.  I'll give them a good look.  

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much!

Kathy

26 minutes ago, kccpa said:

Thank you Leigh, I  have read up on all the threads that have mentioned Melbourne.  The Penguin Parade Tour did cate any questions Kathy ch my eye.  From one post, it sounded like an all day trip with leaving in the morning and with the cruise line, they say they will arrive at 8am, but will they really?  I'm smiling at this.  I guess maybe it was the tour company that had the all day tour listed.  Good to know that we could start in the afternoon.  Thank you for the link.  

My friend is a great lover of coffee.  She will be happy to enjoy many great good cups of HOT coffee.  Must be HOT for her.  Me?  I like to be able to drink mine...Haha.  

Thank you for your help.  You are always available with such valuable info. 

Best,  Kathy

If you have any questions about Melbourne Kathy, please ask.

4 hours ago, kccpa said:

Kathy, you will need to explain to your friend that coffee in Melbourne is never served hotter than 70 degrees Celsius. It will be closer to 60 degrees if barista made.

The coffee shop currently trending in the popularity stakes is Patricia's https://www.patriciacoffee.com.au/

32 minutes ago, yarramar said:

Kathy, you will need to explain to your friend that coffee in Melbourne is never served hotter than 70 degrees Celsius. It will be closer to 60 degrees if barista made.

The coffee shop currently trending in the popularity stakes is Patricia's https://www.patriciacoffee.com.au/

I always ask for my coffee to be made hotter wherever I order it as does a friend. No problems at all and it is not burnt.

Edited by possum52

I was reading an American website on the art of making lattes. This is part of it.

The problem with steaming milk that hot is this: milk goes through a lot of chemical changes once it gets past 65C. Above that temperature, fats start to boil, some liquid components convert to gas (phase change in sciencey parlance), and milk starts to “seperate”. You know that scalded milk smell? It happens once you reach 70C when part of the milk separates and boils off or burns.

This should be avoided at all cost. A proper latte retains super sweet lactose in its microfoam, and is a complete (ie not separating) liquid below the microfoam that sits at 60-65C max temperature. When this happens the balance of the milk to espresso remains pleasing and complimentary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarramar said:

I was reading an American website on the art of making lattes. This is part of it.

The problem with steaming milk that hot is this: milk goes through a lot of chemical changes once it gets past 65C. Above that temperature, fats start to boil, some liquid components convert to gas (phase change in sciencey parlance), and milk starts to “seperate”. You know that scalded milk smell? It happens once you reach 70C when part of the milk separates and boils off or burns.

This should be avoided at all cost. A proper latte retains super sweet lactose in its microfoam, and is a complete (ie not separating) liquid below the microfoam that sits at 60-65C max temperature. When this happens the balance of the milk to espresso remains pleasing and complimentary.

I found an article on the ABC website where a barista stated that they make coffee to the customer's request always. It will really depend on what temperature your barista usually makes the latte or cappuccino. If at the lower end of the accepted range say 60 degrees C it is fine to ask to make it hotter up to the upper accepted range of 70. 

Edited by possum52

• 5 months later...

Last year we had an overnight stop in Melbourne while on a Holland America cruise.  We used Wildlife Tours for our trip to see. the Penguin Parade. https://wildlifetours.com.au/tours/1-day-phillip-island-penguin-tour/

Phillips Island is about a 90 minute drive from Melbourne.  The penguins do not come out of the ocean until sunset.  We left Melbourne at about noon.  Once we reached Phillips Island we toured a koala reserve, and had the chance to do a seashore walk.  We did return to Melbourne until about 10:00 PM.  

It was winter in South Australia, and the weather was terrible. Cold (10 C0, windy and rain.    We were prepared, rain jackets, rain pants water resistant hikers and warm fleece.  We skipped the seaside hike.  There was a one hour stop in Cowes late in afternoon to get a bite to eat.   

Despite the weather the Penguin Parade was extraordinary.   The little penguins do not mind the weather.  For me a once in a lifetime experience. 

12 hours ago, WisRiver said:

It was winter in South Australia, and the weather was terrible. Cold (10 C0, windy and rain.    We were prepared, rain jackets, rain pants water resistant hikers and warm fleece.  We skipped the seaside hike.  There was a one hour stop in Cowes late in afternoon to get a bite to eat.   

Just querying your comment that it was winter in South Australia. I assume you meant southern Australia, as Phillip Island is in Victoria. Are you sure it was winter? As there is no cruising during winter in the southern part of the country and definitely not from Melbourne.

We are looking for non-strenuous activities for our first day in Melbourne this Thursday. Just something to stay awake and move a little until we crash after dinner. Our flight arrives 0700 so I assume we’ll we’ll be at the hotel (in South Bank) by lunchtime, if not earlier, and will have somewhere around 4 hours, perhaps more, before our scheduled activities begin at 3:30.

We are considering a cruise on the Yarra and/or riding the tram loop around the CBD. If we decide to only do one direction on the river, are there any reasons to choose one direction over another?
After reading this thread, we will undoubtedly want coffee while wandering. Do coffee shops also have light lunches (sandwich, salad, or similar)? Is Patricia’s still the trendy coffee place and if so, which tram stop would be best?  
Looking forward to our visit to Australia, the flights there, no so much. Very helpful thread. 

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

We are looking for non-strenuous activities for our first day in Melbourne this Thursday. Just something to stay awake and move a little until we crash after dinner. Our flight arrives 0700 so I assume we’ll we’ll be at the hotel (in South Bank) by lunchtime, if not earlier, and will have somewhere around 4 hours, perhaps more, before our scheduled activities begin at 3:30.

We are considering a cruise on the Yarra and/or riding the tram loop around the CBD. If we decide to only do one direction on the river, are there any reasons to choose one direction over another?
After reading this thread, we will undoubtedly want coffee while wandering. Do coffee shops also have light lunches (sandwich, salad, or similar)? Is Patricia’s still the trendy coffee place and if so, which tram stop would be best?  
Looking forward to our visit to Australia, the flights there, no so much. Very helpful thread. 

This coming Thursday, the weather is going to be fine and sunny (at this stage) with a top temperature of around 25 degrees C or 77 degrees F, so just perfect for a cruise up the Yarra. Usually, the cruise will leave and return to the same place. This cruise company has two different cruises one going to the west and one to the east - 1hr Sightseeing Cruise Along The Yarra River (yarrarivercruises.com.au)

Where are you staying at Southbank? Most cafes will have serve a light lunch either to sit in or take away. As for Patricia's, this is the only one I'm aware of - Patricia Coffee Brewers which is at the rear of 493-495 Little Bourke Street and is only opened during the week, not at weekends as it is in the law courts precinct. For the best tram stop, it would depend on which tram you are catching - if coming from Southbank, you would need to catch a No. 58 tram along Queensbridge Street from Southbank. The tram continues onto Market Street and then around onto Flinders Lane, then onto William Street. You would get off the tram at Stop 5 which is between Bourke and Little Bourke Streets. You would then walk to Little Bourke Street, turning right and walk 30-40 metres to Patricia's.

We did a 35 day circumnavigation Australia cruise.  We booked tickets for the Sydney Opera performance of Carmen on Cockatoo Island  just off the Harbor. It was fantastic.   Should you wind up there, note it gets very cold at night and we were told to bring jackets. 

I really wanted to ride on Puffing Billy (Google the photos). Pretty sure we did it out of Melbourne.  Used TBL.

Best tour out of Sydney was a chef's tour we tour. Chef Jimmy.....Gourmet Getaway Tours. It's a food and wine tour.

11 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

If you want to stay awake before dinner, don't do the river cruise as it will likely send you to sleep.

Take a walk along the promenade find a nice cafe and take in the ambience. Melbourne is renowned for it's cafe's and great coffee, they all serve food apart for very few that are "hole in the wall" type places. One of the best for food and coffee, not views is The Bond Store at 1 Riverside Quay.

It is also a short walk to the Arts Centre and also the National Gallery of Victoria. Even if you are not into art, I highly recommend the Pierre Bonnard exhibition currently showing at the NGV. It is absolutely wonderful and superbly curated.

Across St Kilda Road it is not far to the Royal Botanical Gardens, again well worth a visit as one of the worlds finest botanical gardens.

• Thanks 1