Cruise was cancelled by cruiseline, waiting for refund from US agency since November.

2epicpanda

Hello

I hope someone can offer me some help as im getting concerned I probably wont get my deposit back. I was due to sail on the transatlantic MSC magnifica itinerary this May however the cruise was a cancelled by the cruiseline. I was offered a full refund or cruise credit and i chose a refund. Well this was initially issued in November, and after 4 calls made to the agency im still waiting for my deposit over 3 months later. 
Now im concerned about the likelyhood of me getting a refund because i booked it via a US based travel agency. I went with them at the time because they had deals that blew way anything offered by British agencies and as i had used them before successfully it seemed like a good decision. 

However, the time its taking to get a refund makes me feel like im being fobbed off to be honest. Whats weird is my friend who booked through the same agency got his refund within 10 days of contacting the agency, so im not sure why its taking so long. 

I’m giving it another week and im calling them again, but im not really sure what i can say that is different to what ive told them before.

Does anyone have any advice? Do i have any protections to get my money back? Thank you. 

MSC are notorious for poor customer service, so much so that I've decided never to sail with them again despite their solo-friendly prices.

I had a similar issue with them around the same time as you and finally received my money at the end of February.

My advice is as follows:

1. Don't give up. MSC should not be allowed to keep your money
  2. Email customer services and/or your travel agent every week. Keep any responses in case you need to use them.
  3. Direct message the CEO via email if you can find the address or, as I did via Farcebook. The caveat here is that you must find the CEO details for your particular country. In my case, I'd booked via Germany so I DM'd Christian Hein the CEO of MSC Germany. I did this every week just to annoy him.
  4. Don't give up.

I got my money back but it took 3 months of constant badgering MSC, the CEO of MSC Germany, and my TA.

You can do it too.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you get on.

22 hours ago, 2epicpanda said:

Hello

I hope someone can offer me some help as im getting concerned I probably wont get my deposit back. I was due to sail on the transatlantic MSC magnifica itinerary this May however the cruise was a cancelled by the cruiseline. I was offered a full refund or cruise credit and i chose a refund. Well this was initially issued in November, and after 4 calls made to the agency im still waiting for my deposit over 3 months later. 
Now im concerned about the likelyhood of me getting a refund because i booked it via a US based travel agency. I went with them at the time because they had deals that blew way anything offered by British agencies and as i had used them before successfully it seemed like a good decision. 

However, the time its taking to get a refund makes me feel like im being fobbed off to be honest. Whats weird is my friend who booked through the same agency got his refund within 10 days of contacting the agency, so im not sure why its taking so long. 

I’m giving it another week and im calling them again, but im not really sure what i can say that is different to what ive told them before.

Does anyone have any advice? Do i have any protections to get my money back? Thank you. 

Since you used a US travel agent, they do not have the same consumer protections, as are available in the UK. As wowzz mentioned, your only recourse to getting money back may be through your credit card.

When you use a US based TA, you are accepting the higher risks.