Cancer insurance

Oldies123

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here, my last cruise was May last year (2022) which we managed to get in before I was then diagnosed weeks later with serious grade cancer.  I have had my chemo, surgery etc.  I'm hoping my scan in April will show I am in the clear and able to at last book another cruise.   I'm hoping to get a FIT TO TRAVEL letter from my consultant which will confirm I am on maintenance therapy and not chemo, and that I am clear of the cancer .   Does anyone have any recommendations re insurance  ?  We usually insure through the bank, but are fully expecting them to load us this time (they've already done that due to hubby having a stroke in 2020) and realise that now it will be very expensive so need another option.  I can only consider maybe a 10 day cruise as my treatment is every 3 weeks, so it will be Europe and not beyond.  We are both so desperate to get away now and are hoping the insurance cost is something we can accept and afford.   Any recommendations would be gratefully received.  Our ages are 74 (hubby) and 69 (myself).  Thanks everyone.

20 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here, my last cruise was May last year (2022) which we managed to get in before I was then diagnosed weeks later with serious grade cancer.  I have had my chemo, surgery etc.  I'm hoping my scan in April will show I am in the clear and able to at last book another cruise.   I'm hoping to get a FIT TO TRAVEL letter from my consultant which will confirm I am on maintenance therapy and not chemo, and that I am clear of the cancer .   Does anyone have any recommendations re insurance  ?  We usually insure through the bank, but are fully expecting them to load us this time (they've already done that due to hubby having a stroke in 2020) and realise that now it will be very expensive so need another option.  I can only consider maybe a 10 day cruise as my treatment is every 3 weeks, so it will be Europe and not beyond.  We are both so desperate to get away now and are hoping the insurance cost is something we can accept and afford.   Any recommendations would be gratefully received.  Our ages are 74 (hubby) and 69 (myself).  Thanks everyone.

I hope you get a positive result in April. You need to discuss your issues with your current insurer plus others if required, you have a complicated situation and different companies will assess the risks differently. I use Staysure who cover me without much loading, my cancer was over 10 years ago, however I have never made a claim on my holiday insurance. You don't know how good or bad any company is until you try and claim.

• Like 1

Thank you yorkshirephil, I did think about Staysure but was told by my sister in law that they don't cover cruises (despite the fact she doesn't do them)  so is this correct or have they maybe changed their policies ?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

Thank you yorkshirephil, I did think about Staysure but was told by my sister in law that they don't cover cruises (despite the fact she doesn't do them)  so is this correct or have they maybe changed their policies ?

Thank you

I have used Staysure since 2017 and they have covered cruises since then.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oldies123 said:

Thank you

Oh yes they do 🙂 I was struggling for a company to cover me until  my heart consultant gave

me clearance to travel a week or so back.

A lot of companies still will not insure me or it was silly money cost but Staysure would insure me.

Everyone's different so shop around and find a insurer that covers your conditions.

Good luck with your consultant , we will be crossing our fingers for you 🙂

• Like 3

Macmillan Cancer Support have a webpage dedicated to travel insurance for cancer patients - Cancer and buying travel insurance. Whilst they don’t recommend any insurers that I can see they do offer a lot of advice. Hope it helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another recommendation for Staysure, we are/were in a similar situation to you and they cover our cruises at way below other quotes. 

Michelle says that you are better to call them as the online tick boxes can easily shove you in the wrong category. 

Good luck, 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife does not have cancer, but she has several medical problems. We tried a few insurance companies for our upcoming trip to Gibraltar and a cruise in the Autumn and ended up with Allclear.

I would endorse the point about phoning. It can be tricky to choose the correct answers online, but the salespeople will guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

• Thanks 1