Should I bid for upgrade if I get seasick outside of midship?

mikem1977

Good afternoon everyone,

We are booked for a 14 day cruise on Enchanted Princess next month and are in a balcony room mid-ship on deck 9.

I was looking at the princess upgrade for our booking and are thinking about bidding to a deluxe balcony or mini-suite.

But our worry is that if our bid is accepted we would be stuck with a forward or aft room which will not be good as both of us get very sea sick in those locations. (It looks like 30% of these rooms are forward or aft)

Does anyone have any experience with the upgrade process and know if there is a way to choose not the room but general location if bid is accepted.

We never have utilized the bidding system but have been offered upgrades several times by various lines.

If you have a problem with seasickness, and are satisfied with your current room, I would keep it.  No need to chance having a terrible cruise in case you are placed in a room that you would not be comfortable with. 

• Like 1

I am going on the Discovery Princess and bid on M1 Reserve Club Minisuites and they are all midship, I believe.   You would have to go through each category you are interested in and see where the cabins are.  But I agree with the previous poster, I'd rather have a midship anything rather than a far forward or aft room if I was prone to seasickness.  You never know how the seas will be.

• Like 1

You'll be assigned the leftover cabins in when you bid and your bid is accepted.

Make a dummy booking on Princess' website and check which cabins are still available in the category you're bidding on.  If you still see many midship cabins available, it might be worth a try to bid.

The cabin assigned is supposed to be final after acceptance of bid, but not sure if calling into Princess afterwards, you'll be able to have your cabin reassigned in the upgraded category.

My upgrade took me from a midship obstructed OV to literally the furthest-aft balcony cabin that doesn't actually face backwards.  Just be aware that the location of your cabin will not necessarily be the same.

I've heard that some people have successfully called after an upgrade and been moved to a different available cabin in the same category, but as I like my new location (we got one of those extended angled balconies so I'm fine with being far aft), I have not done this and I'm unable to verify.

Best of luck with your decision!

Edited by talkorpi

25 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

You'll be assigned the leftover cabins in when you bid and your bid is accepted.

Make a dummy booking on Princess' website and check which cabins are still available in the category you're bidding on. 

Not a good idea unless OP is certain the category they are bidding on is only located midship.  OP won't necessarily get a cabin that is open when they bid to upgrade.   They could get upgraded into a cabin that just canceled, or into a cabin that opened up when a cancellation of a higher category (let's say a suite) led to a series of upgrades, neither of which would have shown as available when OP looked before submitting an upgrade offer.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback, truly appreciate the perspectives. I think we are going to just stay where we are and not risk the chance. 14 days is a long time to be miserably sick if we did end up forward or aft and it just isn't worth it.

• Like 1

Just a thought but when you get onboard check with guest services to see if there are cabins available that you are interested in moving to. I'm not positive they are still selling upgrades onboard, but it might be a better option than bidding.  As previously stated, when you bid it can end up being anywhere that the cabin category is available.  Most club class Mini suites are midship, but I think it depends on the ship.

Check with who you booked with. It is possible you can upgrade and pick your cabin for around the same price (not bid). On my cruise one can. May be on yours also or maybe not. You can at least ask.

Edited by Coral