Red hook or Manhattan now that Red hook is housing the homeless?

Lakesregion

6 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh i would not have minded to dock in Manhattan- well - we will see.

Certainally be cheaper for getting off the ship. But you can't get a green cab from Manhattan cruise terminal though. Although a green cab is just a yellow cab painted green

There is chat on the MSC forum suggesting MSC Meraviglia will be sailing itineraries from Brooklyn in 2023 which if true would support expectation of reopening as a cruise terminal in April.

3 hours ago, Yaldi said:

There is chat on the MSC forum suggesting MSC Meraviglia will be sailing itineraries from Brooklyn in 2023 which if true would support expectation of reopening as a cruise terminal in April.

That's my understanding from previous discussions on this topic. MSC Meraviglia should be the first ship to be using the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal this spring. She is scheduled to arrive there on April 20th.

• Like 1

Has the QM2 ever sailed in/out of NYC on the West side? If so, when was the last time? I always thought QM2 was too long and jutted out into the Hudson too much. 

My first TA was in 2008 and we left from Red Hook. I don’t recall QM2 leaving from West Side Piers. I work in Midtown Manhattan so I hopefully would have noticed…

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Has the QM2 ever sailed in/out of NYC on the West side? If so, when was the last time? I always thought QM2 was too long and jutted out into the Hudson too much. 

My first TA was in 2008 and we left from Red Hook. I don’t recall QM2 leaving from West Side Piers. I work in Midtown Manhattan so I hopefully would have noticed…

Yes, QM2 regularly sailed out of Manhattan prior to the opening of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. According to Wikipedia, QM2 was the first ship to use the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal upon her arrival there on April 15, 2006. Our first crossing on QM2 in November 2005 departed from Manhattan.

There have been a few times since the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal opened when QM2 has called at Manhattan. If there was a schedule conflict with another ship calling at Brooklyn, QM2 would usually call at Manhattan. One exception was on September 30, 2006 when she called at Bayonne instead of Manhattan when there was a schedule conflict at Brooklyn.

During May 2010, QM2 called at Manhattan after an accident damaged the gangway at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, putting that terminal out of service until repairs were made. More notably, after the damage from Superstorm Sandy in November 2012 took the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal out of service for several months, QM2 called at Manhattan during that time.

The last time QM2 called at Manhattan was September 27, 2014. Here is a capture I took that day from PTZtv's Port New York Webcam.

WhereintheWorld(37).png.9a7457b7c4a247a674f51e7cb78cbcd2.png

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

More notably, after the damage from Superstorm Sandy in November 2012 took the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal out of service for several months, QM2 called at Manhattan during that time.

It was of course during late October 2012 when Superstorm Sandy damaged the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The first of QM2's calls redirected to Manhattan as a result of that damage was during November 2012.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yaldi said:

New York turnaround for Queen Mary 2 was at Manhattan on 17th May 2011 I believe this was one of the occasions there was another ship scheduled for Brooklyn. A Princess ship if memory serves.

Thanks for that report. The ship at Brooklyn that day was Caribbean Princess according to a thread about that voyage I found on this forum. It looks like Prinsendam was also in Manhattan that day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for that report. The ship at Brooklyn that day was Caribbean Princess according to a thread about that voyage I found on this forum. It looks like Prinsendam was also in Manhattan that day.

Prinsendam next to QM2 would have been quite a picture!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Prinsendam next to QM2 would have been quite a picture!

Your wish is my command! There are a couple photos posted by cruiserking on this thread from capnpugwash showing QM2 and Prinsendam at Manhattan starting with this post #117. Scroll down to post #121 to see the other. Some of you may remember capnpugwash's frequent blogs from QM2.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1347767-capnpugwash-is-on-the-qm2-to-new-york-may-10-2011/?do=findComment&comment=27883016

Unfortunately there are large "photobucket" watermarks over the images presumably because they are stored on one of their accounts that used to be free but isn't any longer. These are from back in the dark ages before Cruise Critic supported photo attachments. Back then photos had to be hosted on an external site such as Photobucket. Anyway, I figure these images are better than nothing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Your wish is my command! There are a couple photos posted by cruiserking on this thread from capnpugwash showing QM2 and Prinsendam at Manhattan starting with this post #117. Scroll down to post #121 to see the other. Some of you may remember capnpugwash's frequent blogs from QM2.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1347767-capnpugwash-is-on-the-qm2-to-new-york-may-10-2011/?do=findComment&comment=27883016

Unfortunately there are large "photobucket" watermarks over the images presumably because they are stored on one of their accounts that used to be free but isn't any longer. These are from back in the dark ages before Cruise Critic supported photo attachments. Back then photos had to be hosted on an external site such as Photobucket. Anyway, I figure these images are better than nothing.

Thanks! She does look tiny next to QM2! Sad that I had to cancel the cruise I was going to take on her, and then she was gone.

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

During May 2010, QM2 called at Manhattan after an accident damaged the gangway at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, putting that terminal out of service until repairs were made.

We were on that crossing. It was great to be back at Pier 90 again. 

In April 2008 the QE2 was sent to Manhattan on short notice. Neither we nor our travel agent were notified by Cunard. I read it about it here on Cruise Critic about three days before. Some members who were on board said that there would be a change of piers from Brooklyn to Manhattan.  No-one knew the reason.  If I hadn't read that posting we would have gone to Brooklyn as many others did.

According to many people we met on board Cunard didn't even provide staff at Brooklyn so there was no transportation available to those who arrived at an empty pier.  

• Thanks 1

Here's another image from my webcam archives. This one from Wired New York shows QM2 at Manhattan on July 1, 2011.

wired-new-york-webcam3.jpg.34a8eaffbf33db565714ba235167fa8a.jpg

I originally posted this on capnpugwash's blog for that crossing. The blog mentions Caribbean Princess was at Brooklyn that day as well.

• Like 4

By the way, Caribbean Princess was the culprit for damaging the gangways at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal which caused QM2 to divert to Manhattan on May 21, 2010. She apparently struck and damaged two of the gangways there on May 9th while docking in high winds. There's an article in the New York Times stating one of the gangways was repaired in short order allowing QM2 to dock at Brooklyn once again on June 7th. The second gangway was slated to be repaired during the following weeks.

Ha- if I would be one of those poor homless I would try and hide out in the terminal and get myself on board QM2 as a stowaway. LOL.

There must be some way around the contol points at the gangway...!

I hope the City of New York is giving them agreeable accomadations.

The people placed at the Brooklyn Cruiser Terminal are migrants/illegal aliens etc, not homeless and the City is moving them to another facility before terminal operations resume. 
This really is a non-story in terms of those camped there affecting us getting on/off ships. I trust the terminal will be properly cleaned though!

At least that’s the plan that is being broadcasted to us locally. 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, NE John said:

We sailed on QM2 out of Manhattan back in Feb 2005 ...

Msc Meraviglia will return to Manhattan in Apr 2023 doing Bermuda, bahama & New England cruises this year.

• Thanks 1