Regent special offers?

fudge

I have just received a mail from Regent quote " Incredible savings on certain cruises" I clicked on the offers and the cruise we are on Vancouver to Japan in September is there. If the fares for the cruise have been reduced do Regent contact our TA?  Any replies are gratefully received thank you.

Edited by fudge

6 minutes ago, fudge said:

I have just received a mail from Regent quote " Incredible savings on certain cruises" I clicked on the offers and the cruise we are on Vancouver to Japan in September is there. If the fares for the cruise have been reduced do Regent contact our TA?  Any replies are gratefully received thank you.

No, Regent won't contact your TA, but you should.  Have your TA "run the numbers."  But don't just look at the fare, look also at any perks, like OBC, you have.  I have 5 cruises booked through 2025 and every time I look at the new promotion it doesn't help me when I consider losing OBC, etc.  

We’ve had multiple special offers after we booked our cruise months ago and only 1 of the 4 special offers  would have been slightly less expensive on paper but we would have lost a “free” pre cruise hotel. Sure we could have paid for the hotel out of pocket but it came within a few dollars of break even, so we didn’t pursue it. Usually, Regent jacks up the base rate for the cabin when they have these offers so it is wise to do the math and look at the entire picture (as papa flamingo said). Having said that, I still look at each new offer to see if it makes sense. It doesn’t hurt to ask your TA to look as well. Some people on these boards have received a better offer, so it can happen.

• Like 1

We have just received a reply from our TA.

What was interesting was, because of contractual reasons Regent cannot let our TA know even if there are savings to be made also, If our TA got wind of any reductions in price they would not inform us however, as I mailed them they were allowed to ask Regent for the new price scale.

On this occasion the price would have increased by 120 sterling!! So no "incredible savings" to be made this time around.

1 hour ago, fudge said:

We have just received a reply from our TA.

What was interesting was, because of contractual reasons Regent cannot let our TA know even if there are savings to be made also, If our TA got wind of any reductions in price they would not inform us however, as I mailed them they were allowed to ask Regent for the new price scale.

On this occasion the price would have increased by 120 sterling!! So no "incredible savings" to be made this time around.

I can call Regent at anytime and they will tell me if any bookings that I have made are better under the new promotions. Perhaps the UK is different, but here I can find out and reapply the new promotions (even if I lose money in commissions). The only thing that matters is that the client gets what is best for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Not surprising.  Regent routinely raises prices from year to year (or more often).  So if you book a cruise a year out, then even with "sales" you are probably better off with your original booking.  At least that's what I've found over the few years we've been sailing Regent.   That's why it's better to book as soon as you find a cruise you want.  Not only do you lock in the rate but you have a better selection of cabins and you don't run the risk of the cruise selling out. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Not surprising.  Regent routinely raises prices from year to year (or more often).  So if you book a cruise a year out, then even with "sales" you are probably better off with your original booking.  At least that's what I've found over the few years we've been sailing Regent.   That's why it's better to book as soon as you find a cruise you want.  Not only do you lock in the rate but you have a better selection of cabins and you don't run the risk of the cruise selling out. 

I couldn't agree more. We are now looking at a Christmas/New year cruise with Regent in December 2024. It does seem a long way off however, instead of staying with our TA we have had three different quotes which are miles apart! 

With a Penthouse suite we are looking at over 20,000 sterling for a 15 day cruise which to some would think it is eye watering. Thankfully we have luckily had a windfall so we can afford it. We dont talk about it to friends but if they ask we tell them the price, some think we have a screw loose, sometimes I think we have a screw loose. You cant take it with you, my father once said "there are no pockets in shrouds" We have no kids, happy days.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fudge said:

...some think we have a screw loose, sometimes I think we have a screw loose. You cant take it with you, my father once said "there are no pockets in shrouds" We have no kids, happy days.

My friends think the same about us. 🤣. But in all honesty... we have a 14 night Hong Kong to Tokyo booked in 2024.  For interest I looked at Royal Caribbean 12 night Singapore to Tokyo the same time.  I priced a junior Suite since that was close to our suite on Regent.  For business air through the cruise line, the Junior Suite, drink package, and tips it would cost $2000 MORE to sail on Royal Caribbean and that was a shorter cruise and no specialty dining or shore excursions price in.  So Regent can be a pretty fair deal. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, fudge said:

I couldn't agree more. We are now looking at a Christmas/New year cruise with Regent in December 2024. It does seem a long way off however, instead of staying with our TA we have had three different quotes which are miles apart! 

With a Penthouse suite we are looking at over 20,000 sterling for a 15 day cruise 

My hubby thinks the pricing structure is ridiculous 😱 There are huge differences in cost and perks between the US and other parts of the world but the pricing in the UK doesn't make sense either 🤔

my example (and only sharing because you don't know who I am 😜) we were supposed to be on a 20 night cruise (2 x 10 nights back to back) from Tokyo to Hong Kong with 3 nights in Tokyo and 3 nights in HK. It was going to cost £24000 but, our special birthdays were swamped by Covid so we bit the bullet. Then both cruises were cancelled because R weren't stopping in China. 

We were offered 25% discount off the alternatives so whilst onboard we got the cruise consultant to run the figures (all the time she was raving over what a bargain we were getting especially when combined with the onboard booking discount etc etc) so we thought the new cruise (Tokyo to Bali, same Tokyo pre, Bali post and an extra 4 nights on board) was going to be a steal - turned out it was going to be £26000 so £2000 more expensive 😱😱.(I know it was 4 more nights onboard but where was the 25% discount?) So we said no thank you.

We then booked the Tokyo to Bangkok 14 night leg during the recent offer (2 cat up grade and discount) which the cruise consultant had said was £16000 (with the 25% discount and onboard discount remember - hang in there with me) for £11500. No 3 night pre just the usual 1 night so a £4500 difference AND because Regent had the Valentines OBC offer, my TA asked and Regent kindly added $500 OBC to our account - I am very happy with our final outcome but am just so glad we didn't book onboard.

obviously don't get the business class flights for that but they weren't included in the original quote either 😁

Edited by Techno123

Papa and Fudge, you are both funny! We have never been asked by either friends or family about the cost of a Regent cruise and I doubt we would be comfortable disclosing that information. Couldn't agree more with what your father said Fudge about that you can't take it with you. My DH tells our kids that we are spending their inheritance 🙂!!

• Like 2

They always say "if you dont mind me asking what did you pay we might join you?"  Not everyone asks that question but we have been asked. 

Another question if you dont mind. We are sailing with Regent in September, I was going to book the 2024 cruise on board assuming I get the extra 5 percent discount, all three TAs said "do not wait, it will be more expensive and you may not get the suite you want"  Is that statement generally true in your opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fudge said:

They always say "if you dont mind me asking what did you pay we might join you?"  Not everyone asks that question but we have been asked. 

Another question if you dont mind. We are sailing with Regent in September, I was going to book the 2024 cruise on board assuming I get the extra 5 percent discount, all three TAs said "do not wait, it will be more expensive and you may not get the suite you want"  Is that statement generally true in your opinion.

When we found a cruise for 2024 last November we went ahead and booked it as we were worried that the price would go up and we wouldn't get the suite we wanted.  30 days before our cruise in January i contacted our TA and we were able to get some of the onboard booking savings on that cruise because of the current promotion of 2 suite upgrade.   We didn't get the OBC or the reduced deposit as we had already paid the required deposit but we did get the onboard discount which saved us about $500 or $600.

I would take your TA's advice and book now as prices will likely go up if it is a popular cruise and you may not get the suite location you want. I would also pay close attention to any promotions between the time you book and 30 days prior to your September cruise and see if there are any savings from taking advantage of the onboard booking.  Because we booked our 2024 cruise before boarding and the 2025 cruises during the times we are interested weren't out yet we picked up 2 FCC which gives us the onboard savings for up to a year and is 100% refundable if we decide we don't want to book for 2025 after all. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fudge said:

..;.all three TAs said "do not wait, it will be more expensive and you may not get the suite you want"  Is that statement generally true in your opinion.

I agree with your TA's.  If you find a cruise you want and a cabin you want, book it.  If you know you want to book more Regent cruises that haven't come out yet, you can book an Open Future Cruise on board (but you must use it within a specific time frame, I think 2 years) and you get all the perks.  

But this is really true for any cruise line. Prices can shift daily.  We booked a cruise years ago on Royal Caribbean.  Our friends really wanted to go but decided to wait a month or so and book onboard to get some OBC.  By the time they sailed our cruise had completely sold out.  We had a wonderful cruise albeit without our friends who had to stay home.  

Every cruise we have booked with Regent (5 of them through 2025) are either completely waitlisted or gone up significantly to the point that even with any sales we are still better off with our original bookings. 

Edited by papaflamingo

1 minute ago, fudge said:

Thank you for sound advise. I now have three TAs trying to win me over.

Sounds like an "opportunity" there.  😜

I would go with the TA that you feel most comfortable with and is most knowledgeable and experienced with Regent cruises.

Thank you, I was going to book with my usual TA and had my credit card in hand, when he said lets go through what you are paying for he said "cruise only" I stopped him there, I said "this cruise has flights included?  He was quoting without flights!  That was the end of that conversation, he mailed me later with flights which turned out be quite expensive. 

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Thank you, I was going to book with my usual TA and had my credit card in hand, when he said lets go through what you are paying for he said "cruise only" I stopped him there, I said "this cruise has flights included?  He was quoting without flights!  That was the end of that conversation, he mailed me later with flights which turned out be quite expensive. 

It is unfortunate the rules are different. In the US, there is only 1 price set by Regent.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:55 AM, fudge said:

yes, if you want to book the trip you think is right, book when you see it. On board, or with your TA. I don't always find the CC on board completely forthcoming with all the info, but it might also have to do with the questions I ask or not. But what is important is to have a great TA and your on board booking is transfered to this TA. The TA will then take over and can make sure they get you the best possible deal. And if later Regent has special offers, the TA can make sure that you can use it. Ours does that automatically and checks. Sometimes we got great savings (great is a relative term ) and sometimes, Regent had increased the prices so even with applying the "new offers" we'd not get the savings.  

Always frustrating to me (or more to people we cruised with) to see the difference in offers between the UK or Europe and the US. Can be confusing. 

It is true that the earlier you book the better the fare and the cabin you select. From my experience, even though I booked over 1 year in advance I’ve been able to take advantage of 3 promotions that Regent has since offered. Although the fares might have increased with the offer I was still able to save $7000 total off the original price using the offers. Sometimes my TA had to speak with a supervisor to get the new offer but  it is certainly a good idea to check if the offers will save you money or not.

Our cruise in April has had 3 or 4 different promotions since we booked last year, also with a promotion. One of the  new promotions was 20% off and a 2 category upgrade. We had the 2 suite upgrade already, so we were given future cruise credits instead of the 20% off, although the 20% off the stated price was not really all that much different from what we booked at. The most recent promotion was for more SBC, so that got added. 

So sometimes you can benefit from new promotions, but not always.