Muster Drills

rnr4thatsme

18 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

How is Princess doing muster drills these days?   Back to in-person or check in at a station/watch the drill online?   We are sailing on the Discovery Princess at the end of April.  

Our last two cruises (Oct & Dec) we were required to watch a video in the room and then go to our assigned muster station at some point just to swipe the medallion to show we found it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Another great advantage about having a smart phone. Let it play during lunch & check in later.

I prefer to have it play on the TV while I unpack and settle in.  Then, I turn off the TV for the remainder of the cruise, and I go out to swipe my Medallion at the muster station.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I prefer to have it play on the TV while I unpack and settle in.  Then, I turn off the TV for the remainder of the cruise, and I go out to swipe my Medallion at the muster station.  

Yes, that works also but in the time it takes to listed to the video on your TV the lines for dining are growing longer. They know if the Medallion has left the cabin before the end of the video. 

Checking in can be done at any time. 

• Like 1

Personally, 

As long as I don't have to stand on deck with hundreds of other folks watching a crew member put his/her lifejacket on, I'm happy. 

Tv, phone, it's all good. I'll gladly stop by to have my medallion checked with a drink in my hand. 🥂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Personally, 

As long as I don't have to stand on deck with hundreds of other folks watching a crew member put his/her lifejacket on, I'm happy. 

Tv, phone, it's all good. I'll gladly stop by to have my medallion checked with a drink in my hand. 🥂

That's what I'm hoping, too!   On NCL Breakaway in January, we had to do an IN PERSON drill crammed into an indoor venue.  I was NOT happy.

7 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

That's what I'm hoping, too!   On NCL Breakaway in January, we had to do an IN PERSON drill crammed into an indoor venue.  I was NOT happy.

I hope that never returns to Princess. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, that works also but in the time it takes to listed to the video on your TV the lines for dining are growing longer.

1.  Eat lunch while waiting for luggage to be delivered to room.

2. Go to room after lunch to find luggage waiting.

3. Unpack while watching video.

4. Tap in at muster station.

(Get cocktail can be inserted in between any of these steps.  Or order cocktails to be delivered to room.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

1.  Eat lunch while waiting for luggage to be delivered to room.

2. Go to room after lunch to find luggage waiting.

3. Unpack while watching video.

4. Tap in at muster station.

(Get cocktail can be inserted in between any of these steps.  Or order cocktails to be delivered to room.)

We always carry on our luggage so it's waiting on the bed as soon as we get back from lunch. We hate waiting for it which can happen sometimes. 

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We always carry on our luggage so it's waiting on the bed as soon as we get back from lunch. We hate waiting for it which can happen sometimes. 

Fair point, though on my last 3 cruises, the luggage made it to our cabin in mere minutes after we boarded.  Even if cabins aren't ready, I always take a peek to see if I can drop off my carry-on stuff and I have been surprised to see my luggage beat me.

• Like 1

I watched it on my phone while sitting by the pool.  Mrs BV was sitting next to me but not given credit.  She watched on her phone back in the cabin.  Our muster station was the CG.  We tried to check in but the medallion reader was non functional.  We were thanked for showing up but nothing was recorded.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:24 PM, MissP22 said:

I would like to do that as well.  Miss P22, but how do I go about it after I board?  Sometimes the room/halls are closed.  How do you do it?  Thanks in advance.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, BamaVol said:

I watched it on my phone while sitting by the pool.  Mrs BV was sitting next to me but not given credit.  She watched on her phone back in the cabin.  Our muster station was the CG.  We tried to check in but the medallion reader was non functional.  We were thanked for showing up but nothing was recorded.

Did you go an rescan your Medalion later or did they write something down and record it offline?

11 hours ago, grannyp said:

I would like to do that as well.  Miss P22, but how do I go about it after I board?  Sometimes the room/halls are closed.  How do you do it?  Thanks in advance.

In all of our cruises from Florida in the past 5 years I have yet to see my room or halls being off limits before a certain time. Even if it were, I would only drop off my luggage & proceed to lunch ASAP before the crowd begins forming. 

I'm not sure but I think they have stopped that practice.

7 hours ago, jeromep said:

Did you go an rescan your Medalion later or did they write something down and record it offline?

Neither. I worried because it was getting close to sail away time. There was a crew member standing next to a kiosk type scanner. He explained that it wasn’t working and thanked us for stopping by. He did not have a handheld scanner or a paper checklist in his hand.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

In all of our cruises from Florida in the past 5 years I have yet to see my room or halls being off limits before a certain time. Even if it were, I would only drop off my luggage & proceed to lunch ASAP before the crowd begins forming. 

I'm not sure but I think they have stopped that practice.

Last Oct. I tried to get to our room, and the hall doors were closed.  Guess I will check luggage after all.  

I think that I am getting a bit confused (not that it is difficult) with this.

When I look at "Safety Essentials" on the app it says "Here are the steps to complete Safety Essentials on Embarkation Day"

Visit - Your muster station.

Watch - Your ship's safety procedures on either Stateroom TV or Mobile

Listen  - To a ship wide announcement of the safety procedures

Now from reading this topic it appears that you have to watch the video before you visit your muster station - so what is the correct order, or does it not matter?

15 minutes ago, david63 said:

Now from reading this topic it appears that you have to watch the video before you visit your muster station - so what is the correct order, or does it not matter?

I've never tried in in reverse although if you leave the cabin before the video is complete, they'll know. I do know that if your leave the medallion with the cabin mate to go get drinks, it'll work fine. 

Just go to the location given on the cabin door & see how it works out. 

On our Ruby cruise in Feb. DH & I watched the video in the cabin while I unpacked, then visited muster station. Our travel companions visited their muster station then watched the video. Both ways worked successfully. 

• Thanks 1