Oceania O-Class vs R-Class

MnDAL

21 minutes ago, marieps said:

So you're saying that a PH on O is priced similarly to an entry level on Seabourn or Silver Sea.  That's not a good value?  I've sailed Regent, but not SS or SB.  I'm not sure how a PH on O for the same price as entry level on SS or SB is not a value.  Not wanting to argue, just wanting to understand your take.

PH on O small ships is around 260 sqft excluding veranda. You get a butler and some extra perks. But alcoholic drinks are still not included, and gratuities are not included as well.

Entry level cabins on SS and SB are around 290-305 sqft. SS includes butler in every cabin, and they are both all inclusive (SS includes even excursions). Also SS and SB are considered level up compared to O (ultra luxury vs. premium/"light luxury"). So on O small ship PH you are paying a similar price to entry level on SS or SB and get a smaller cabin, an older ship, less inclusions etc.

So yes, for the same or similar price, I would consider SS or SB a better value. 

P.S. In fact, PH are priced similarly on R ships and O ships. To me, this is absurd. PH on the O ships are 350 sqft vs. 260 sqft on R ships, and the ships are half age. I would consider PH on O ships very good value. On R ships, not so much.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

PH on O small ships is around 260 sqft excluding veranda. You get a butler and some extra perks. But alcoholic drinks are still not included, and gratuities are not included as well.

Entry level cabins on SS and SB are around 290-305 sqft. SS includes butler in every cabin, and they are both all inclusive (SS includes even excursions). Also SS and SB are considered level up compared to O (ultra luxury vs. premium/"light luxury"). So on O small ship PH you are paying a similar price to entry level on SS or SB and get a smaller cabin, an older ship, less inclusions etc.

So yes, for the same or similar price, I would consider SS or SB a better value. 

Thanks so much for the clarification.  Now I get it.  Our Regent cabin (many years ago) did not include a butler, but not having to hand over a room key with every cocktail order was a big plus.  Sail well.

I’ve been on Marina, Riviera and Sirena. 

My preference would be an R class as I enjoy the small ship feel, BUT, price point wise, a verandah or ocean view on an O class is more than fine size wise, whilst anything below a PH would not suit me on the R class ship, due to the size of the shower. 

If I was doing port intensive I wouldn’t mind either class of ship. For a TA or an itinerary with more sea days I would enjoy the R class. 

That being said Riviera’s verandah cabins since the refit really are lovely and I would never turn one down if the itin and price were right. 

I know things aren’t to the standard of pre covid again yet, but honestly with Oceania you can’t really go wrong if you do due diligence. The O class are a lovely size and if you found yourself on one and found it to be too big it would still be a lovely experience, the converse is probably true for R class. You have to try all the apples before you find the right one 🙂

12 hours ago, marieps said:

So you're saying that a PH on O is priced similarly to an entry level on Seabourn or Silver Sea.  That's not a good value?  I've sailed Regent, but not SS or SB.  I'm not sure how a PH on O for the same price as entry level on SS or SB is not a value.  Not wanting to argue, just wanting to understand your take.

I thought the same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, schmerl said:

I thought the same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused. 

I believe I clarified what I meant, would you disagree that PH on R ship gets you a smaller cabin, an older ship, less inclusions and less luxury ship?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I believe I clarified what I meant, would you disagree that PH on R ship gets you a smaller cabin, an older ship, less inclusions and less luxury ship?

The PH on an R ship is a fine size, an older ship doesn’t mean a worse ship (Sirena is beautiful) and less passengers certainly makes for a more luxury experience imo. 

Just now, ToxM said:

The PH on an R ship is a fine size, an older ship doesn’t mean a worse ship (Sirena is beautiful) and less passengers certainly makes for a more luxury experience imo. 

R ships are 700 passengers, SS and SB are 450-600 passengers. Yes, PH are fine size, more than enough for me. And yes, the ships are fine. But you cannot really argue that SS and SB are more luxury than O, and for the same price, it's an obvious choice to me. I absolutely love O, but SS and SB are a step up.

4 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Though having spent 10 nights each on Riviera (A4, 12/2021) and Sirena (B2, 11/2022), that passenger count can vary greatly. We had only 719 on Riviera and 630 on Sirena. I'll take the larger O-class at those passenger counts. The smaller Rs are fine, but they do have so many limitations compared to the larger Os. Take a "pool" that is only good for walking in the Rs.

So, IF itinerary and price are same, I'd go O class every time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

R ships are 700 passengers, SS and SB are 450-600 passengers. Yes, PH are fine size, more than enough for me. And yes, the ships are fine. But you cannot really argue that SS and SB are more luxury than O, and for the same price, it's an obvious choice to me. I absolutely love O, but SS and SB are a step up.

Never been on them. O is good for me. I am probably ruining myself for small O ships or O in general as my next cruise in on one of the smaller regent ships. I am curious as to how it will measure up. 

I don’t think O labels itself as the same level of luxury as SS or SB does it? It’s premium rather than luxury? Makes little difference to me as I think O is my comfort point - regent got my business because of an itinerary/port chance that O doesn’t offer. 

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though having spent 10 nights each on Riviera (A4, 12/2021) and Sirena (B2, 11/2022), that passenger count can vary greatly. We had only 719 on Riviera and 630 on Sirena. I'll take the larger O-class at those passenger counts. The smaller Rs are fine, but they do have so many limitations compared to the larger Os. Take a "pool" that is only good for walking in the Rs.

I’ve done 380 on Sirena and 320 on Marina (that was just odd!). Pools on O or R class are just for floating around in, and I am so short my feet don’t touch the bottom on either 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToxM said:

Never been on them. O is good for me. I am probably ruining myself for small O ships or O in general as my next cruise in on one of the smaller regent ships. I am curious as to how it will measure up. 

I don’t think O labels itself as the same level of luxury as SS or SB does it? It’s premium rather than luxury? Makes little difference to me as I think O is my comfort point - regent got my business because of an itinerary/port chance that O doesn’t offer. 

This was exactly my point. SS and SB are level up compared to O, this is why I mentioned that paying a similar price for PH on R ships  is not a good value to me because I can sail on SS or SB for that price.

We sailed on SS and Crystal and still like O. Currently booked on 2 O, 2 SS and 1 SB. Choice is good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I thought the pool on Riviera, at more than 5' deep all around, was a bit too deep.  Especially so considering the number of passengers with mobility challenges.  JMHO.

We sailed on R class in a PH cabin.  It was great.  The ability to regularly see people was also great.

What I did not like was there was only one laundry room on deck 7.

There are no bathrooms by the horizon lounge.  You have to outside to the front of the ship which can be difficult in bad weather or down a floor.  The main lounge has only single person bathrooms. 

The Terrace Grill is small and had limited selection IMHO compared to O class and other cruise lines.