thermal spa ask

Eldy90066

Hi New to Cruise world! and bought a spa pass on the HAL Niew Amsterdam -- does anyone know how this works? im hoping to be able to go into a jaccuzzi at any time during the cruise ---do we only get 15 min??? ( it seams i read that somewhere in the mountain of info...lol).....Thank You and Ships Ahoy !!! mateys!

Can't answer the spa pass question, but the regular Jacuzzi's/hot tubs next to the two pools are available to all passengers during the regular opening hours. (unless they are closed for rough weather or other maintenance problems)

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Eldy90066 and have fun on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

~Nancy

• Like 1

The spa on NA is more than just a jacuzzi. It's a large hydropool, very relaxing. It has jets in the water and also two shower/massagers. The pic below was taken when it wasn't bubbling. The spa pass also gets you into a room with heated ceramic loungers. They look uncomfortable, but once you settle in, they just ease away your cares. A spa pass is my favorite indulgence on a cruise.

The 15 minute thing is a website bit of weirdness. In the early post-covid days, people had to book a time (at the spa onboard, not in advance) so that they could spread out use and avoid crowding. But now you may come and go as you please, more than once a day if you wish. 

Pics are Eurodam, but NA will be similar.

L2010142.JPG

L2010143.JPG

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello!  I'll be on a 22 day cruise (South America/Antartica) with only six port days, so I'm thinking of getting a thermal pass for the duration of the cruise. I'll be on the Oosterdam, and I think their layout is similar to the pictures above, but I was wondering if anyone could comment/confirm?  Also, it sounds like the pass is worth it, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm?  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jo-D said:

Hello!  I'll be on a 22 day cruise (South America/Antartica) with only six port days, so I'm thinking of getting a thermal pass for the duration of the cruise. I'll be on the Oosterdam, and I think their layout is similar to the pictures above, but I was wondering if anyone could comment/confirm?  Also, it sounds like the pass is worth it, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm?  Thanks!

Yes, it's similar on Oosterdam. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Worth it depends on what you enjoy. With so many sea days, I think you'll probably get good use out of it. I like to go in the morning, when it's quiet and walk in the warm water. I walked off a mild case of sciatica in one of those pools. The spa usually is open late enough that if you have early dinner, you an go after dinner. It's often quiet then.

Ta da! Found them!

P2025706.JPG

P2025709.JPG

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, it's similar on Oosterdam. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Worth it depends on what you enjoy. With so many sea days, I think you'll probably get good use out of it. I like to go in the morning, when it's quiet and walk in the warm water. I walked off a mild case of sciatica in one of those pools. The spa usually is open late enough that if you have early dinner, you an go after dinner. It's often quiet then.

Ta da! Found them!

P2025706.JPG

P2025709.JPG

Thank you, this is just what I needed to see!  I appreciate it!

• Like 1

After you get settled on embarkation day, you'll need to go to the spa to get your reservation "confirmed" in the spa system.  From then on, they will usually remember you.  Each time you go you have to swap your room key with a spa area key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

After you get settled on embarkation day, you'll need to go to the spa to get your reservation "confirmed" in the spa system.  From then on, they will usually remember you.  Each time you go you have to swap your room key with a spa area key.

Good point about the key swap. They put a sticker on your key card the first time you check in at the spa. That way, each time you go to use the thermal suite, they don't have to look up your account.

One time, I saw a woman trying to get into the thermal pool area, but the key she had didn't work. I was headed in there, so I asked if she was having a problem. She said, "They put the sticker on my key, but it isn't working." Seriously. You can't make this stuff up. 

• Like 1

I absolutely adore the heated ceramic loungers and I would sleep in them if allowed!

But I must be missing something with the hydropool.  I just can’t get comfortable on the metal seating rods. If I relax, I start to float and have to grip the seating to stay anchored and not let my head go under. What am I doing wrong??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

tagging onto this thread... i'll be on the 14-day NS Best of Norway sailing this July.  The pre-booking offer is 7-day thermal spa access for $149.  There is no 14-day option available.  Does this sound right?

Same for me. I am on the 22 day out of Barcelona ending in Amsterdam and could only book 6 days. They said I will have to go to the spa once I board to add more. I  Am afraid they will be sold out to people boarding the 14 day leaving from Amsterdam. I think I will call again and see if I can add more days. It doesn’t hurt to ask. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Same for me. I am on the 22 day out of Barcelona ending in Amsterdam and could only book 6 days. They said I will have to go to the spa once I board to add more. I  Am afraid they will be sold out to people boarding the 14 day leaving from Amsterdam. I think I will call again and see if I can add more days. It doesn’t hurt to ask. 

Are you doing a B2B? There have been reports of trouble booking excursions on more than the first leg of a B2B. It's a HAL IT thing (no surprise there!). I was able to buy a 10-day pass for my Caribbean cruise ($196) in advance, but that was not a B2B.

• Like 1

We boarded the NA yesterday for 14 days B2B.  Pre purchased thermal spa for first week (no option to book the full 14 days).  Upon stopping by the desk to get our sticker/access, we were able to book for the second week.  Embarkation day specials for the spa had some treatment options that also included the thermal spa… so if you already had paid the $149 pre booking, that would be taken off the cost of the embarkation special.  Basically, by doing this I have booked spa treatment for around $100 less than if I had booked the treatment by itself.  definitely some good deals.  

** caveat:  have to book on embarkation day, and book your selected treatment at time of purchase, and must be scheduled on a port day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

No mine is booked as 22 day. You can book an 8 day and 14 day separately. 

The fact that it's also sold as two separate cruises is the source of the glitch. It makes no sense that this should be a problem, but hey, it's HAL...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Am afraid they will be sold out to people boarding the 14 day leaving from Amsterdam.

Have others experienced sold out for the thermal spa?  We always buy on day 1 and never had a problem...but I am curious....has anyone been told the spa is sold out?

(I know they do try to create the "sense of urgency" when you take the after embarkation tour but not sure how real that is)

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

Last month (Feb 2023) I had to book 7 days at a time and even though spa Mgr was able to confirm I was on the 2nd week, she wouldn't let me book the 2nd week until final night of week 1. She just added a sticker to my card for the 2nd week and put me on the list.

I have been at the desk and heard passengers told the thermal spa was sold out - I believe they offer only xx number of spots, but no idea what the xx is.

Yes, it is unlimited so you can go as much as you like until closing time. There are buttons to push (1 each for the pool & sprayers) for the timers, but you can stay in as long as you like. There is a sign posted for the ceramic thermal chairs to please limit your time, but it's on the honor system as there is no separate check in/out process.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 5:46 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The spa on NA is more than just a jacuzzi. It's a large hydropool, very relaxing. It has jets in the water and also two shower/massagers. The pic below was taken when it wasn't bubbling. The spa pass also gets you into a room with heated ceramic loungers. They look uncomfortable, but once you settle in, they just ease away your cares. A spa pass is my favorite indulgence on a cruise.

The 15 minute thing is a website bit of weirdness. In the early post-covid days, people had to book a time (at the spa onboard, not in advance) so that they could spread out use and avoid crowding. But now you may come and go as you please, more than once a day if you wish. 

Pics are Eurodam, but NA will be similar.

L2010142.JPG

L2010143.JPG

Thank you for this info -very helpful and these pics are amazing im so excited!!!!!!

On 3/26/2023 at 2:29 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Last month (Feb 2023) I had to book 7 days at a time and even though spa Mgr was able to confirm I was on the 2nd week, she wouldn't let me book the 2nd week until final night of week 1. She just added a sticker to my card for the 2nd week and put me on the list.

I have been at the desk and heard passengers told the thermal spa was sold out - I believe they offer only xx number of spots, but no idea what the xx is.

Yes, it is unlimited so you can go as much as you like until closing time. There are buttons to push (1 each for the pool & sprayers) for the timers, but you can stay in as long as you like. There is a sign posted for the ceramic thermal chairs to please limit your time, but it's on the honor system as there is no separate check in/out process.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:17 AM, waiting2retire said:

I absolutely adore the heated ceramic loungers and I would sleep in them if allowed!

But I must be missing something with the hydropool.  I just can’t get comfortable on the metal seating rods. If I relax, I start to float and have to grip the seating to stay anchored and not let my head go under. What am I doing wrong??